U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Bridge collapse in Minneapolis (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/bridge-collapse-in-minneapolis-178674.html)

sulawesigirl4 08-01-2007 07:49 PM

Bridge collapse in Minneapolis

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070802/...ridge_collapse

Quote:

MINNEAPOLIS - The entire span of an interstate bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles, tons of concrete and twisted metal crashing into the water.

The Interstate 35W bridge, which spans between Minneapolis and St. Paul, was under construction when it broke into several huge sections.

It was not clear how many people were injured. A burning truck and a school bus clung to one slanted slab, while at least eight cars and a truck were submerged in the river.

The bus had just crossed the bridge before it crumpled into pieces, and broadcast reports indicated the children on the bus exited out the back door.

Dozens of vehicles were scattered and stacked on top of each other amid the rubble. Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

Local television stations captured video of injured people being carried up the riverbank. There was no official word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were there. Divers were also in the water.
I used to drive over this thing all the time. My brother lives very close to it, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him yet. :|

DrTeeth 08-01-2007 07:51 PM

That's horrible, but I'm sure everything's alright with your brother :hug:

indra 08-01-2007 07:56 PM

Oh my, that's awful. I hope your brother is ok Sula. :hug:

rushu2 08-01-2007 08:00 PM

North and South all along the River

I am super sad about the bridge collapse. I live over by here and my husband was going to go to the ball game tonight and decided not to at the last minute. He would have taken the 35 bridge crossing over the mississippi at about the time it collapsed. Now, during the rescue effort we are about to get severe thunderstorms. I can hear it rumbling. Is there any thing to the fact that hurrican Katrina hit on the very southern tip of the M. river and now the north?:sad:

unico 08-01-2007 08:13 PM

oh my god, i just saw a "breaking news" thingy when i walked past my dad watching the tv.

this is terrible. i hope that they can save everyone. i dunno if you're still online, sula, so i'm gonna text you.

Butterscotch 08-01-2007 08:22 PM

This is devastating :sad: And this morning a greyhound bus turned over in NC. It's not safe to travel anymore. :yikes: You never know when you're going to be riding along, and plop. This happened in Arkansas a few years ago too. Our 50 year old infrastructure is crumbling and we haven't got enough money to fix it thanks to Iraq:mad:

I hope everyone everybody knows is okay :hug: and people on this forum who live there I know there are a few.

U2Fanatic4ever 08-01-2007 08:29 PM

my heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there. Sula I hope you hear from your brother... :hug:

this is just awful... :sad:

Butterscotch 08-01-2007 08:33 PM

That's terrible :hug: Can you give us some updates? I'm not getting much from CNN.

I can imagine the whole city must be paralyzed.

rushu2 08-01-2007 08:49 PM

they are saying that there are at least 50 cars underwater. Its starting to get dark. I just can't believe something like this would happen up here. Its a major interstate-it just collapsed!! We have too much waterway and not enough bridges up here!

phillyfan26 08-01-2007 08:50 PM

https://forum.interference.com/t178674.html

There's discussion on the incident already here.

onebloodonelife 08-01-2007 08:51 PM

I just saw this...the bridge is literally 5 blocks or less from the dorm I'm going to be living at in a month. :sad: Sula, I hope your brother is okay :hug:

corianderstem 08-01-2007 08:56 PM

Yeah, this is just horrifying.

I have random thoughts about things like this when I drive on the bridges around Seattle, particularly the Alaskan Way viaduct, which is just a honkin' structure of concrete doomed to collapse if and when the Big One hits.

rushu2 08-01-2007 09:03 PM

Thanks!

Diane L 08-01-2007 09:15 PM

Sula, I hope your brother is alright. :hug:

Has anyone heard from arw/Pop Bono (Amanda)?

rushu2 08-01-2007 09:39 PM

I really cannot emphasize how horrible this is. The footage reminds me of a low grade Katrina. I mean, this is a city that seems to take care of their infrastructure. And on the Miss. R. what is going on? It really bothers me!!!

zonelistener 08-01-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Diane L
Sula, I hope your brother is alright. :hug:

Has anyone heard from arw/Pop Bono (Amanda)?

I am not sure if her daily path would take her near this bridge (knowing where she live and where her school is, etc.).

Six deaths so far.

I have driven this bridge hundreds of times when I lived in the area. I used to park under this bridge when I went to Vikings games. It just blows my mind.

Hoping all friends and family are ok!

Lila64 08-01-2007 09:47 PM

Thoughts and prayers :Pray: :hug:

sulawesigirl4 08-01-2007 09:54 PM

Just got a call from my brother. He's fine, thankfully. He'd been on the bridge just a few hours before the incident. Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Like zoney, this really just blows my mind. When I lived in the Cities, I used to cross this bridge all the time; it's a MAJOR artery. I can't even imagine how this will affect day-to-day life in the city...traffic is going to be unbelievable. It just seems so bizarre that such a big structure like that would topple into the river.

phillyfan26 08-01-2007 09:56 PM

Good to hear. :up: Hopefully there aren't any more dead than the six already...

Butterscotch 08-01-2007 10:00 PM

Glad he's okay!:)

This reminds me of "Mothman Prophecies" which was a fictionalized account of the actual collapse of the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River. I hope there aren't people under water that no one sees like in that story. I's scary to think this could happen to any bridge at any time. What an unimaginable tragedy :sad: