U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   Bono and the FCC (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/bono-and-the-fcc-177034.html)

LMP 06-05-2007 01:41 PM

only CBS :wink:

Galeongirl 06-05-2007 01:45 PM

woah, they censor southpark over there??? :shocked:

Headache in a Suitcase 06-05-2007 09:55 PM

both sides of this issue are a tad out of wack... there's absolutely nothing wrong with a few rules in place to keep curses off regular broadcast television, just out of respect. if you're at a resturant with your young kids and the people sitting next to you are dropping F bombs left and right, you're gonna be a bit annoyed by it... might even ask to move. there's no reason why we can't hold that same standard for television...

... that said, the occasional "fuck" isn't gonna kill anyone, and if the parents actually do their job the kids will know when they hear it that it's something they shouldn't say in public.

long story short, if this was just some random guy who said "fuck" on the golden globes and not an uber celebrity, no one would hear a word about it.

Butterscotch 06-05-2007 10:29 PM

They're still bitching about that f bomb years ago? I always thought it was stupid. As if there's a person left who hasn't heard it, so what. Even little kids. If anyone is the holy type who hides their kids' ears from everything they're also the type who dunk them in bed before the sun goes down and don't watch music awards shows.

sue4u2 06-05-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by corianderstem

I think they did the same for the network showing of ... oh wow, I'm blanking on the name. The WWII movie with Tom Hanks, directed by Spielberg. (Edit: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. Geez. I can't believe I blanked on that.)

That was part of the argument as to why the FCC has to re-group, if you will.
They can't pick and choose who they are going to fine. If a major motion picture can use it without getting fined then you simply can't fine someone else for using it in a fleeting sort of way.
Whether Hanks, Cher, Bono or the Vice President say's it, it's the same word,.
The ruling pretty much said "fuck that" it's unconstitutional.
Stay tuned it ain't over yet.
We'll see what happens when it get to the supreme court. :eyebrow:

toscano 06-05-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sue4u2

That was part of the argument as to why the FCC has to re-group, if you will.
They can't pick and choose who they are going to fine. If a major motion picture can use it without getting fined then you simply can't fine someone else for using it in a fleeting sort of way.
Whether Hanks, Cher, Bono or the Vice President say's it, it's the same word,.
The ruling pretty much said "fuck that" it's unconstitutional.
Stay tuned it ain't over yet.
We'll see what happens when it get to the supreme court. :eyebrow:

huge difference actually

in one case the network advised the viewers a few f-bombs might be heading the viewers way

in the other case there was no such warning

ah, who gives a flying fuck........

BVS 06-05-2007 11:50 PM

How come it never applies to sporting events? I hear f-bombs all the time when they start cutting to the sidelines...

No spoken words 06-05-2007 11:57 PM

BVS, it applies to sporting events as well. Most of the major networks have been hit by FCC fines for swearing.

BVS 06-06-2007 09:30 AM

I hadn't heard of any, that's why I asked...

Good to know.

Axver 06-06-2007 11:02 AM

I echo the "this nonsense is still going?" sentiment. Get the FUCK over it, people ('people' referring to the people behind the complaints and legal challenges, not those on this thread). It's an intrinsically morally neutral sound being used in a positive manner. Not a big deal. It was never worth discussion at the time, and certainly isn't worth court cases now!

Quote:

Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Well Justin, if you are ever a guest on an Australian tv show after 9.30 at night, feel free to say whatever the fuck you fuckin' well want.
And would anyone here really fucking care if someone swore earlier than 9:30 anyway? Especially if it were on SBS. I very much doubt the nuts who do complain even tune SBS on their TVs, let alone watch it! Too many immigrant liberal hippie commies there.

gvox 06-06-2007 11:50 AM

How about some common sense?

"That was fucking brilliant" - Bono, at an awards speech

"Come lick me and then fuck me hard baby" - actress lying naked on a bed

Can you see the difference? I sure can!

Idiots.

gvox 06-06-2007 04:00 PM

lol that shut them up! :wink:

kimby 06-06-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

long story short, if this was just some random guy who said "fuck" on the golden globes and not an uber celebrity, no one would hear a word about it.

Since when do they let random guys on the Golden Globes?:ohmy: