U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   How has HTDAAB aged for you? (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/how-has-htdaab-aged-for-you-172758.html)

U2girl 02-11-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AtomicBono
so do you not think Miami is supposed to be a light hearted song? :scratch: it's supposed to paint a city, yes, but the whole point is to just show the surface level of things, the fun side of the city

and for the record I don't mind the wooo wooo hoo's, I love Elevation

I think DYFL is a lot more seductive, EBTTRT is more of a dance song... but if we're going purely by subject matter you could say that Running to Stand Still is a rehash of Bad, Mofo and Lemon are rehashes of Tomorrow since they're about Bono's mom, ect. the comparisons between yahweh and DYFL are because of the "take this, take that" lyric style

No, it wants to capture the mood, the image of the city. And it's not just about the mammy line even if that's all that ever gets quoted.

Both EBTTRT and DYFL have danceable rhythms, same topic and sensual vocals/delivery. More in common than RTSS-Bad, Mofo-Lemon-Tomorrow which only share the topic.

I know the Yahweh and DYFL comparison comes from the lyric, the style may be the same but completely different topic. Not the first time similar style or lines used but it seems the most questioned one. :shrug:

super fly guy 02-11-2007 05:26 PM

I loved the album when it came out,and i still do today. My fave song is miracle drug,really wanted it to be a single.

jacobus 02-12-2007 07:57 AM

as you know i don't like HTDAAB. the only song i really like is ONE STEP CLOSER
this song is just a timeless beauty :up:

CKONE 02-12-2007 08:46 AM

Like a fine wine it grows in strength from day to day.

MrPryck2U 02-12-2007 10:31 AM

Well, I liked the album very much when it came out and I still do nearly 3 and a half years later.

Sirus 02-12-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jacobus
as you know i don't like HTDAAB. the only song i really like is ONE STEP CLOSER
this song is just a timeless beauty :up:

I thought I was the only person who thought that was the best song on the album. The production isn't very good on the rest of the album. I'm not a huge fan of the album as a whole. I think it's aged rather poorly.

Yahweh_OMG 02-13-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Well, I liked the album very much when it came out and I still do nearly 3 and a half years later.

Your calender goes faster than mine..... isn't it 2 and a half?

An Cat Gav 02-13-2007 10:03 AM

I really liked it when it came out, but now it leaves me a bit disappointed. Like many others have said, it has some very good songs but they don't sit well together as an album. I still like it, but I'm hoping for better next time.

HeavenAndHell82 02-13-2007 10:05 AM

It hasn't aged for me AT ALL!!!
I thought it was very good/cool when I bought it, but it couldn't
hold my attention anymore after a month or so... :mad:
The songs are not very special in my opinion when you
look at them standing on their own. :(

So this album is very disappointing if you ask me,
and I listen to it very rarely... :|

christiana 02-13-2007 10:44 AM

It actually aged well for me. I didn't like it much when it first came out, especially for the first few tracks including Vertigo. I wasn't a fan of Elevation in ATYCLB and I thought Vertigo was kinda Elevation-ish.

It wasn't until I bought the Boston DVD that I started to like HTDAAB. I love Miracle Drug, and I think it's a shame that they dropped Miracle Drug in the latter concerts. I even like Yahwah now.

STYCMIOYO is great, I didn't like the 'stuff' rhyme, but overall I really love the song, and the video too. Some of the songs are carried well into the concerts or the video, that I started to like the song after seeing it live or in the music video.

Basically the only song that i don't like is A Man and A Woman, but when comparing it to almost half of the album that I don't like in ATYCLB, I think I should say that I prefer HTDAAB more.

It's nowhere compared to their masterpieces, but after all these years, HTDAAB is positioned above ATYCLB and Pop for me. And I do like POP!

HeavenAndHell82 02-13-2007 10:58 AM

I think Love And Peace Or Else (apart from the dumb title) and City Of Blinding Lights are the only REALLY good songs on the album! :|
Miracle Drug is a song that could've been better, and I never understood why they didn't released it as a single.
It's much better than the bittersweet Original Of The Species in my opinion.

Zoots 02-13-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HeavenAndHell82
I think Love And Peace Or Else (apart from the dumb title) and City Of Blinding Lights are the only REALLY good songs on the album! :|
Miracle Drug is a song that could've been better, and I never understood why they didn't released it as a single.
It's much better than the bittersweet Original Of The Species in my opinion.

Don't forget the horribly cliche chorus of Love And Peace Or Else. We need love and peace? No shit, Bono! :huh: The verses are fine though. I love COBL for the bass work and the music leading up to the somewhat flat chorus.

Miracle Drug is more classic U2 sounding. OOTS is something they've never really done before except maybe traces of it on ATYCLB.

AtomicBono 02-13-2007 11:24 AM

you know what bono should do? stop rhyming. I've been thinking, is rhyme really necessary for lyrics? Can't you just stick some brilliant sounding lines to a good melody and that be that? Rhyme can be fantastic, but I feel like sometimes it can hold a song back to an elementary level. Like Sometimes...tough/stuff/enough... I love the song, I really do, but we know Bono can do better.

Zoots 02-13-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AtomicBono
you know what bono should do? stop rhyming. I've been thinking, is rhyme really necessary for lyrics? Can't you just stick some brilliant sounding lines to a good melody and that be that? Rhyme can be fantastic, but I feel like sometimes it can hold a song back to an elementary level. Like Sometimes...tough/stuff/enough... I love the song, I really do, but we know Bono can do better.
Yes!!! I've always felt that since ATYCLB, Bono's rhyming has been very elementary...

fragrant/basement - kite

*ETA: actually it's not that rhyme that bugs me, it's the whole line*

lips/tips/skips/fingertips - grace
tracks/backs/cracks - aboy

etc...

Salome 02-13-2007 04:14 PM

I have spots on my bum that are older than How to dismantle....

therefore it hasn't aged very much yet

gman 02-13-2007 04:46 PM

For me, I would have to say that it is either bottom or second bottom of all the u2 albums. Fighting it out with POP for the honour. Dont get me wrong, I listen to them but dont glean the same enjoyment from them as the others.

gherman 02-13-2007 04:54 PM

Still my favorite. Kicks the crap out of the rest of them... except for Achtung.

LemonMelon 02-13-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zootlesque

Yes!!! I've always felt that since ATYCLB, Bono's rhyming has been very elementary...

fragrant/basement - kite

*ETA: actually it's not that rhyme that bugs me, it's the whole line*

lips/tips/skips/fingertips - grace
tracks/backs/cracks - aboy

etc...

:huh: Elementary? Rhyming is easy. It hasn't changed a lick for Bono.

Rhymes in Streets:

hide/inside
flame/name
face/trace
rain/name (which doesn't even rhyme that well)

Bad:

away/again :|
could/would
clay/away
rain/flame (sound familiar?)

WOWY:

eyes/side
fate/wait
shore/more :eyebrow:

Hawkmoon 269:

rain/name :eyebrow: (Yeah, knees really is the only word he always repeats :| )
room/Hawkmoon
night/sunlight
been/nicotine (a bit of a stretch there :wink: )

etc...

Roland of Gilead 02-13-2007 05:44 PM

Personally, the Bomb is not aging as well as All That... . I'm only listening to a few of the tracks these days. Meanwhile, All That... has been getting more complete start to finish plays than ever before. This is most likely due to being Vertigoed out. I imagine when the next album and tour hits I'll go back to the Bomb for big doses.

xaviMF22 02-13-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LemonMelon

:huh: Elementary? Rhyming is easy. It hasn't changed a lick for Bono.

Rhymes in Streets:

hide/inside
flame/name
face/trace
rain/name (which doesn't even rhyme that well)

Bad:

away/again :|
could/would
clay/away
rain/flame (sound familiar?)

WOWY:

eyes/side
fate/wait
shore/more :eyebrow:

Hawkmoon 269:

rain/name :eyebrow: (Yeah, knees really is the only word he always repeats :| )
room/Hawkmoon
night/sunlight
been/nicotine (a bit of a stretch there :wink: )

etc...

those rhymes > anything on HTDAAB:|