U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   How has HTDAAB aged for you? (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/how-has-htdaab-aged-for-you-172758.html)

xaviMF22 02-09-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BANZAI

I thought you never heard HTDAAB?! :wink:

(see other thread):

yea but its my least listened album...I have listened to the album duh? ...I just don't anymore :|

SeattleVertigo 02-09-2007 08:09 PM

It's aged just fine. I don't listen to it as much, but that's just the natural order of things. Albums come out and are at the top of the playlist, and then other albums by other exciting bands come out and vie for airplay.

Even though I don't listen to the songs as often, I probably like them about as much. It's one of my favorite albums.

JCOSTER 02-09-2007 08:16 PM

They say you can't wear out a cd, but I have with HTDAAB. When it first came out I played it non stop. Like alot of their songs, a few on this album have special meaning to me. SYCMIOYO, I would swear he wrote that about me and my mother, there is no comparison to hearing it live, I cried each time I heard him hit the operetic part. To me the whole album meant they still sounded as good as in the 80's if not better.

mikal 02-09-2007 08:46 PM

i think the album flow was a little rough compared to their previous albums, but songs like SYCMIOYO, COBL, and OOTS will always some of my favorite all-time U2 songs.

in the big picture, i'd stick this album right in the middle, behind all of their 90's albums, and The Joshua Tree, probably tied with The Unforgettable Fire.

toscano 02-09-2007 08:46 PM

it's had the shelf life of fresh raspberries. how appropriate

Jeffo17 02-09-2007 09:17 PM

For me it took me time to get into this album... Just to get to know the songs. Overall I think it is a very solid album. :up:

XHendrix24 02-09-2007 09:32 PM

Just took my first listen to it since October of last year (I've been on a little break from most of U2's catalogue for a while :wink:).

It's a really solid album. Really good songs with really good melodies. My only real complaints are that the lyrics could use work in places and the songs are a bit too simple for the most part. Throw a few curve balls with the next album, U2.

Really good album overall, though. Definitely in my upper half of favorite U2 albums.

The OOTS 02-09-2007 09:53 PM

It hasn't aged well for me either. :sad:

Lyrically, it's U2's worst album.
Musically, it is ok.
Bono, where did the poet go???

love2bmama 02-09-2007 10:05 PM

it hasn't aged that well for me, frankly. It was never my favorite, but I liked it a lot in the beginning. Part of that, of course, was just the excitement and fun that goes along with a new U2 album, and the tour that follows.

I think the reason I don't listen to it a lot now is partly because I played it too much at first, and also because I really prefer the live versions of almost all the songs.

LAPOE is probably my favorite, along with COBL, I also like Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, One Step Closer...the rest are either kind of meh (OOTS) or I really really dislike (Yaweh).

It's not because I think u2 is slipping, or that it's not musically up to their standards. I can't honestly say what I don't like about the album as a whole, except that I will echo what was said above. The songs from the "outtakes" are better or have a lot more potential than some of the songs on the actual album. To me that means that there is still greatness in u2, they just didn't quite get there this time.

LMP 02-09-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The OOTS
It hasn't aged well for me either. :sad:

Lyrically, it's U2's worst album.
Musically, it is ok.
Bono, where did the poet go???

Bono ate him.

Aygo 02-09-2007 10:36 PM

Very simple: it became my favourite when it came out and still is my favourite album. I rarely get tired of it and I listen to it many times from the beginning 'til the end.

It's an album that came out in the right timing because many songs became personal to me because they deal and match perfectily to my life back in 2004's fall.

david 02-09-2007 10:50 PM

Looking back on it now, it's an odd album in a way. I mean it's a good album filled with singles, but I kind of miss the days when songs flowed well and everything sounded like it belonged on that album, together.

mikal 02-09-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by david
Looking back on it now, it's an odd album in a way. I mean it's a good album filled with singles, but I kind of miss the days when songs flowed well and everything sounded like it belonged on that album, together.
amen! i'm actually hoping for at least 2 instrumentals on the next album(yeah right!).

love2bmama 02-09-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aygo

It's an album that came out in the right timing because many songs became personal to me because they deal and match perfectily to my life back in 2004's fall.

that's pretty much how I feel about ATYCLB, and it had similar timing to things I went through in 2000/2001. I think those kinds of personal connections are part of the magic of music, if you'll allow me to get kind of cheesy for a moment. You never know when a song is going to really touch you like that, but when you hear in a lyric or maybe in the mood of a song something that so perfectly matches the way you feel, it is an incredible feeling.

That has happened to me many times with u2's music, and I think that's (at least partly) why I have such loyalty to the band.

Aygo 02-09-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by love2bmama

that's pretty much how I feel about ATYCLB, and it had similar timing to things I went through in 2000/2001. I think those kinds of personal connections are part of the magic of music, if you'll allow me to get kind of cheesy for a moment. You never know when a song is going to really touch you like that, but when you hear in a lyric or maybe in the mood of a song something that so perfectly matches the way you feel, it is an incredible feeling.

That has happened to me many times with u2's music, and I think that's (at least partly) why I have such loyalty to the band.

:applaud: That's it, mate! ;)

elevated_u2_fan 02-09-2007 11:16 PM

Both ATYCLB and HTDAAB are in this weird kind of category for me, I really can't classify them. I know I like both albums (ATYCLB probably slightly more) but there is also something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.

When it comes to almost all new U2 albums, they usually have to grow on me and that was the case with HTDAAB. Several songs like Miracle Drug, OOTS and Yahweh had to be experienced live to get a true understanding and appreciation.

After almost 3 years since it's release I think it fits fairly well with the rest of it's fellow U2 albums but I would be lying if I said it was their best...

xaviMF22 02-10-2007 12:07 AM

surprisingly enough this thread has made me listen to this album again.. :mad:

:wink:

xaviMF22 02-10-2007 12:11 AM

man has my opinion changed :shocked:

https://forum.interference.com/showth...y&pagenumber=2

:lol:
some of the other responses are:lol:

LemonMelon 02-10-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xaviMF22
man has my opinion changed :shocked:

https://forum.interference.com/showth...y&pagenumber=2

:lol:
some of the other responses are:lol:

I told you something happened with the opinion of most everyone here! :huh: It's crazy...I still think it's all great. :shrug:

PS: I only really love the part of Miracle Drug where Edge takes over with that breathtaking solo and the part he sings. :heart:

xaviMF22 02-10-2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LemonMelon

I told you something happened with the opinion of most everyone here! :huh: It's crazy...I still think it's all great. :shrug:

well the album has recently leaked..we were all excited as hell :wink: