U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/achtung-baby-vs-ok-computer-151082.html)

GibsonGirl 01-06-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tarvark

Too great albums but I have to admit, Computer bothers me for a few reasons. I think the major problem was that it was intended to be a concept album, vs. Atchung which turned in to sort of one (Songs to ZooTv to Zooropa). I think Radiohead got lost in their experiment and ideas, producing music that I think often fails to connect to a listener. Fitter Happier I think is an example of that as is Climbing up the Walls.

See, now, Radiohead songs like Climbing Up The Walls tend to connect with me far more than a lot of U2 songs. With Radiohead, it's not really about the lyrics - it's about the music, the way Thom Yorke uses his voice like an instrument, and the way the combination makes you feel. The music in OK Computer sounds very alienated and distant to me. Especially on songs like Climbing Up The Walls or Exit Music. I can identify a lot more with that feeling than the failed relationship kind of idea that's presented in Achtung Baby.

Really, it does just come down to taste and personal experience. You either find something to connect with in Radiohead or you don't, it's as simple as that.

Axver 01-06-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GibsonGirl
the way Thom Yorke uses his voice like an instrument
That's it exactly - Thom Yorke sounds like an out of tune instrument to me. There's only so long I can listen to a 'sick' sounding guitar, and the same applies to a voice.

1stepcloser 01-06-2006 06:46 PM

The first half of OK Computer does nothing for me, the second half of it i like a lot (minus Fitter Happier).

I love Achtung Baby all the way through.

GibsonGirl 01-06-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Axver

That's it exactly - Thom Yorke sounds like an out of tune instrument to me. There's only so long I can listen to a 'sick' sounding guitar, and the same applies to a voice.

:shrug:

I happen to see it a little differently, but oh well.

xaviMF22 01-06-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

See, now, Radiohead songs like Climbing Up The Walls tend to connect with me far more than a lot of U2 songs. With Radiohead, it's not really about the lyrics - it's about the music, the way Thom Yorke uses his voice like an instrument, and the way the combination makes you feel. The music in OK Computer sounds very alienated and distant to me. Especially on songs like Climbing Up The Walls or Exit Music. I can identify a lot more with that feeling than the failed relationship kind of idea that's presented in Achtung Baby.

Really, it does just come down to taste and personal experience. You either find something to connect with in Radiohead or you don't, it's as simple as that.

I completely agree with you. Its all about the music with radiohead, no U2 song is as beautiful as "let down" sonically.

Tarvark 01-06-2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Very true. I suppose it is all about experience. All though I do feel that I connect with Ok sometimes, its an on and off thing, where Atchung is always there for me.

xaviMF22 01-06-2006 06:51 PM

1stepcloser 01-06-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xaviMF22

Its all about the music with radiohead, no U2 song is as beautiful as "let down"

I'll see this statement and raise you 'If you wear that velvet dress', 'One Tree Hill' and 'Tomorrow' as U2 songs more beautiful than Radioheads 'Let Down'.

:drool:

ZeroDude 01-06-2006 06:54 PM

^
In your opinion they are.

Quote:

I completely agree with you. Its all about the music with radiohead, no U2 song is as beautiful as "let down" sonically.

"The Unforgettable Fire" is in my opinion but that of course is all we can deal in.:wink:

Empathy people please.

GibsonGirl 01-06-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

I completely agree with you. Its all about the music with radiohead, no U2 song is as beautiful as "let down"

:up:

Let Down is one of those songs that only Radiohead could pull off with such perfect execution. It's brilliant. Probably my favourite song on the album. I haven't listened to it in a while. I think I will now.

"Hysterical and useless..."

:sad:

xaviMF22 01-06-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 1stepcloser

I'll see this statement and raise you 'If you wear that velvet dress', 'One Tree Hill' and 'Tomorrow' as U2 songs more beautiful than Radioheads 'Let Down'.

:drool:

have you listened to let down? that song is in another league to the ones you mentioned.(imo) I mean listen to this song with a pair of headphones, and you'll see what I 'm talking about.

1stepcloser 01-06-2006 07:05 PM

I've just listened to all 4 minutes and 59 seconds of Let Down again and i just find it a bit....dull, really. It's a nice enough song but compared to something like Heartland or Drowning Man, i really don't think it comes close.

Each to their own i guess :)

Axver 01-06-2006 07:06 PM

Elvis Presley And America > Let Down.

I just listened to Let Down before making this comment too. In both songs, the singers fail to enunciate, and Bono's got Yorke beat by a mile on conveying emotion. The stream of consciousness in EPAA is powerful. The babbling in Let Down, er, lets down the song. Also, the electronic noises at the end are just pointless and have that "we put these in here because we can" feel.

OK, now I'm going to be flamed.

ZeroDude 01-06-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

have you listened to let down? that song is in another league to the ones you mentioned.(imo) I mean listen to this song with a pair of headphones, and you'll see what I 'm talking about.

You do know he/ she has more than likely heard said song and they prefer "One Tree Hill", now seeing as we all have varying musical tastes can't we let go of such comments as "that song is in another league" as that indirectly devalues your fellow “interferencers” opinion.

In my opinion Public Enemy were far more sonically adventurous than anything Radiohead has done to date.

GibsonGirl 01-06-2006 07:09 PM

:sigh:

Serenity now...serenity now.

ZeroDude 01-06-2006 07:12 PM

:dance:

GibsonGirl 01-06-2006 07:31 PM

Now that I've managed to get over the shock without vomiting pea soup or having my head spin around, I'll say again, it's all down to personal taste. :wink:

I'm listening to Subterranean Homesick Alien for the first time in a long time right now, and wow, what a song. The lyrics are rather nonsensical, but the music is from another planet. I'd take it over EBTTRT, One, and Mysterious Ways any day. Speaking of Subterranean Homesick Alien...does anyone else feel like Coldplay tried to mimic the same spacey element of it in their song, Spies?

angelordevil 01-06-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Now that I've managed to get over the shock without vomiting pea soup or having my head spin around, I'll say again, it's all down to personal taste. :wink:

Yeah, that's it. :up:

Here's a great quote from Bono in an old magazine that I have: "...Thom Yorke is an angel singing about his devils...it’s that duality — the band is so tough, and yet his voice is so beautiful and fragile. Radiohead make sacred music.”

It's from Blender, September 2003

Zoots 01-06-2006 09:12 PM

If Bono can appreciate this amazing band, I'm sure all you U2 fans can too!! ;)

Axver 01-06-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zootlesque
If Bono can appreciate this amazing band, I'm sure all you U2 fans can too!! ;)
We all know what Bono's taste is like. :|

I don't take him seriously on anything to do with music, whether it's his own or anyone else's.