U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   Ewan McGregor Talks About His Alcoholism (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/ewan-mcgregor-talks-about-his-alcoholism-133224.html)

MrsSpringsteen 07-05-2005 02:55 PM

Ewan McGregor Talks About His Alcoholism

Long before he was battling the forces of evil in Star Wars, Ewan McGregor was battling alcohol addiction, the actor has revealed in a candid interview.

"Originally I was a happy drunk. But later I was miserable because it's a depressant," the Scottish actor, 34, tells Playboy magazine. "I was just ashamed of myself, really."

McGregor, who has two children with his wife Eva Mavrakis, says he was shocked that his coworkers seemed to overlook what was obviously a glaring problem. "None of my directors ever said, 'You know, I'd rather you didn't drink at work.' None of them. And they must have known," he says. "I was reeking of (alcohol)."

The Scottish actor doesn't mention which films he made while drinking too much, but says his habit may have limited his performances. "When you work drunk, you find one way to play a scene and that's it."

McGregor, who played a heroin addict in Trainspotting in 1996, and stars in the upcoming The Island, says he stopped drinking because he was afraid he'd lose all he'd worked for. "I knew I was lucky, and somehow I knew that if I didn't stop, everything would go tits up – my career, my family, my everything."

And despite his rise in fame, McGregor, who has been sober for 4 1/2 years, insists that isn't what propels him to work. "If you chase fame, you're just going to end up miserable and unhappy," he tells Playboy. "I'm not interested in fame, because you'll never be famous enough. … You'll never wake up one day and go, 'I'm f---ing famous, and I'm really happy.'"

Carrying on his message in another medium, McGregor has spoken up in his native Scotland, just as G-8 leaders of the world are gathering to meet there, and is calling for international action to help children afflicted by poverty.

"These eight leaders are going to have at their fingertips the power to make extraordinary changes in the world, truly to make poverty history for these people," McGregor said Sunday at the start of a UNICEF workshop. "Now it's time to hear the voices from the developing world, especially young voices."

pax 07-05-2005 03:40 PM

If only he could spell his first name rightly. :sexywink:

Seriously, good for him.

beli 07-05-2005 04:25 PM

What Ewan McGregor really needs is some vitamins and exercise. That'll fix everything. :|

KhanadaRhodes 07-05-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beli
What Ewan McGregor really needs is some vitamins and exercise. That'll fix everything. :|
wait...are you implying it DOESN'T? i knew i was doing something wrong :scratch:

beli 07-05-2005 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

wait...are you implying it DOESN'T? i knew i was doing something wrong :scratch:

The correct formula is

vitamins + excercise + chockie = joy/end of depression.

Seriously, I'm pleased Ewan has come out and confessed. I hope it helps others with the same affliction. :up:

~LadyLemon~ 07-05-2005 05:51 PM

Good for him :up:

beegee 07-05-2005 05:55 PM

i saw a book at work, too, a few weeks ago

apparently he rode a motorcycle around the world.

skjuls 07-05-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bonosgirl84
i saw a book at work, too, a few weeks ago

apparently he rode a motorcycle around the world.

Yeah with one of his pals.

Ewan and his friend also had a TV show detailing the trip!

Sparkysgrrrl 07-05-2005 11:29 PM

I do love Ewan, and I'm glad he's talking about this. :up:

I want to see his motorcylce trip so bad, I missed it when it aired on Bravo :mad:

bammo2 07-06-2005 12:54 AM

I saw ewan mcgregor on saturday in Guys and Dolls at the Picadilly Theatre (london)

It was cracking :up:

The guy is a fab actor, and he isn't bad in a musical either :up:

I am glad he has managed to fight his demons :up::up:

MrsSpringsteen 07-06-2005 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bammo2
I saw ewan mcgregor on saturday in Guys and Dolls at the Picadilly Theatre (london)

lucky you, I'd love to see him in a play

I applaud him for his honesty

daygloeyes2 07-06-2005 10:03 AM

Unfortunately, I've had to deal with alcoholism in my family. And Ewan is right, you can lose just about everything to the bottle. I applaud him for being able to overcome it. :up:

VertigoGal 07-06-2005 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by daygloeyes2
Unfortunately, I've had to deal with alcoholism in my family. And Ewan is right, you can lose just about everything to the bottle.
me too. I think there's a popular misconception that alcoholism isn't as bad as other addictions because it's not a hardcore drug like meth or something. but an alcoholic's bottom is just as low as any other addict's.

good for him for going into recovery, and for being brave enough to talk about it :up:

impy13 07-06-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bammo2

The guy is a fab actor, and he isn't bad in a musical either :up:

Made evident by his great performance in Moulin Rouge.

skjuls 07-07-2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
I do love Ewan, and I'm glad he's talking about this. :up:

I want to see his motorcylce trip so bad, I missed it when it aired on Bravo :mad:

I missed it on Bravo too.

It's on DVD in the UK but not in the USA

:sad: :sad:

Palace_Hero 07-08-2005 09:54 AM

Ewan is one of the great actors of our time. He is just crying out for some real legendary roles to write him into history as such.

And he was never an alcoholic. Just Scottish.

pax 07-08-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Palace_Hero
Ewan is one of the great actors of our time. He is just crying out for some real legendary roles to write him into history as such.

Palace_Hero, do you understand how what you said could be construed as offensive on about three different levels? First, it's offensive to McGregor himself and to everyone with a drinking problem, assuming that alcoholism is inexorably tied to nationality or culture (it's not). Second, it's offensive to Scottish people who have real drinking problems, as it connects the Scottish nationality with alcoholism (unfairly). Finally, it's offensive to Scottish people in general, as it again connects the Scottish nationality with addictive overconsumption of alcohol.

:down:

skjuls 07-08-2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pax

Palace_Hero, do you understand how what you said could be construed as offensive on about three different levels? First, it's offensive to McGregor himself and to everyone with a drinking problem, assuming that alcoholism is inexorably tied to nationality or culture (it's not). Second, it's offensive to Scottish people who have real drinking problems, as it connects the Scottish nationality with alcoholism (unfairly). Finally, it's offensive to Scottish people in general, as it again connects the Scottish nationality with addictive overconsumption of alcohol.

:down:

I agree with what you said.

Here Here!

AvsGirl41 07-08-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by skjuls

I missed it on Bravo too.

It's on DVD in the UK but not in the USA

:sad: :sad:

The book is almost is good--I bought it for my sister for Christmas and she loved it. It has all the behind the scenes dirt they couldn't show. :)

Bonochick 07-08-2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Palace_Hero

Mean-spirited posts like that have no place here. I know that you may just find that as some light humor, but that statement could be deemed quite offensive by many.