U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   The Octagon Bar: Been Around the World and Aye yi yi (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/the-octagon-bar-been-around-the-world-and-aye-yi-yi-132053.html)

Merc 06-24-2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by beau2ifulday
Actually, funny thing - I got a call halfway though SYCMIOYO from a friend of mine who didn't know I was at U2 and doesn't like them apart from that one song. I had a completely delayed reaction - I answered the phone normally and it only registered with me that I was actually in the middle of a concert when she said 'why the hell are you playing Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own so loud?'

:coocoo:

:lol:

u2bonogirl 06-24-2005 09:01 AM

I "aquired" u2 as well :laugh:
From my dads collection
All his U2 disappeared (it was a piss poor collection anyway)
but its been replaced and a whole lot more since

LarryMullen's POPAngel 06-24-2005 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ewen

:shh: it said that on the other side

:lmao:

I love talking U2 with Ewen. :up:

LarryMullen's POPAngel 06-24-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:

i'm an old fart

why is everyone nodding? especially at the 'fart' bit?

my sister got me into U2. she wasn't a fan herself, she just had October on cassette and I 'aquired' it. I didn't become an uber fan until Live Aid. creepy coincidence, the guy with the big tongue (lol icelle) on the other page, my nephew, was a little baby on my lap while I was watching Live Aid in 1985, on a black & white tv at my sisters.

I wasn't :cute:ing at the old fart bit, either. ;)

I wish I had a cute "so and so got me into U2 story" but it was really kind of just myself... I'm at fault for my own demise, so to speak. :laugh:

Merc 06-24-2005 09:09 AM

:lol: I've just talked on msn with a bit :drunk: LB! :lol:

:cute:

:giggle:

beau2ifulday 06-24-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I wish I had a cute "so and so got me into U2 story" but it was really kind of just myself... I'm at fault for my own demise, so to speak. :laugh:

:yes:

:D

My family don't care for them much. My Dad thinks Bono is a twat and my Mum doesn't know anything by them other than Beautiful Day.
And hey. Let's not even start on what my friends think.
:huh:

pax 06-24-2005 09:12 AM

My mom got me into U2. :yes:

I was telling Ewen that I can remember having the 45 of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"...and I wasn't quite 5 years old. :D

LarryMullen's POPAngel 06-24-2005 09:26 AM

I was 9 when I saw the WOWY video and became hooked (especially on Larry... he was my first crush that I can remember, haha). :cute:

Nine... to think some of you weren't even born yet (or much older than babies). Now I feel like the old fart! :lol:

Merc 06-24-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Nine... to think some of you weren't even born yet (or much older than babies). Now I feel like the old fart! :lol:
Next bar title:

The Octagon Bar: Filled with old farts!

:lol: :eeklaugh: :shifty:

beau2ifulday 06-24-2005 09:32 AM

I wish i'd been that astute at 9.
I think I was still drooling over Nick Carter and Ronan Keating :|

LarryMullen's POPAngel 06-24-2005 09:35 AM

Believe me, I went through that dreaded New Kids on the Block phase. I think I was 10 or 11 when that hit, but luckily I got bit by the U2 bug again when I turned 13-14, lol. :shh:

Merc 06-24-2005 09:36 AM

9... :hmm:...that was in '91/'92...

The beginning of the R.E.M./Queen-phase... :laugh:

pax 06-24-2005 09:37 AM

U2 and I went through a long divorce post-Achtung Baby, I'm ashamed to say. In junior high I went all grunge, followed by a Lilith Fair-type phase when I was all Indigo Girls and Ani di Franco and Sarah McLachlan. It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I started to care about U2 again, and I rediscovered Zooropa and Pop after they completely went over my head as a young teenager.

Learning to love those two albums, oddly enough, really brought me back into the U2 fold. Now I still love them, and U2 really is my very favorite band. After all that...I've come full circle since age 4. ;)

Merc 06-24-2005 09:40 AM

Dinner-time!

:wave:

LarryMullen's POPAngel 06-24-2005 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pax
U2 and I went through a long divorce post-Achtung Baby, I'm ashamed to say. In junior high I went all grunge, followed by a Lilith Fair-type phase when I was all Indigo Girls and Ani di Franco and Sarah McLachlan. It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I started to care about U2 again, and I rediscovered Zooropa and Pop after they completely went over my head as a young teenager.

Learning to love those two albums, oddly enough, really brought me back into the U2 fold. Now I still love them, and U2 really is my very favorite band. After all that...I've come full circle since age 4. ;)

I lost my way with them when I was in the later years of high school, but I found them again with POP, oddly enough, and when I began talking with my ex. He and I were both huge U2 fans. He even taped and sent me a bunch of Virgin Prunes and Gavin Friday stuff once.

Ah, the advantages of having a SO who's into U2... :slant:

beau2ifulday 06-24-2005 09:40 AM

haha, Merc and LMPA - you two are so much more advanced in your musical taste than I was!!

Seriously, I was princess pop. I was 9 in 97/98 (I think), so there was plenty of poptastic bands around to fuel me.
I wouldn't have considered looking twice at U2 or R.E.M. I mean, my first real visual exposure to them was the 'Discotheque' video and I know that didn't do my opinion of them any favours.

Today, of course, is a completely different story. Those BOOMCHA!s get me every time :lol:

ewen 06-24-2005 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by beau2ifulday

:yes:

:D

My family don't care for them much. My Dad thinks Bono is a twat and my Mum doesn't know anything by them other than Beautiful Day.
And hey. Let's not even start on what my friends think.
:huh:

I remember my father (RIP) banging on my bedroom door when I was a teenager, telling me to "turn that rubbish down". Lets say he didn't care much for U2. He was a Johnny Cash fan....if he had been alive a few years longer he'd have heard Johnny Cash doing The Wanderer on Zooropa! woah, would I have gloated on that!! :lol: oh, and of course Cash's version of 'One' too a few years later.

U2Girl1978 06-24-2005 09:46 AM

My dad got me into U2. :)

ewen 06-24-2005 09:47 AM

It was Rattle and Hum that lost me. The movie rather than the album. I love the live footage (yes, ok, so do the PLEBAns!!!) but the part with BB King!!! I can't believe Bono's arogance (spelling?) but we won't go there. I totally went off U2 after seeing the Rattle and Hum outtakes too. Again, I won't go there if you haven't seen them. Anyway, Achtung Baby brought me back. They also lost me with ATYCLB but not to the same degree as with R&H because I Loved the Elevation tour, just not the ATYCLB album.

beau2ifulday 06-24-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

It was Rattle and Hum that lost me. The movie rather than the album. I love the live footage (yes, ok, so do the PLEBAns!!!) but the part with BB King!!! I can't believe Bono's arogance (spelling?) but we won't go there.
No - go on. Enlighten me - I don't know a whole lot about that era of U2, to be honest.
What was up with Bono's arrogance?