The Overhang: U2 at the MSG Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s awesome about all of these videos is that we are seeing… well… a video of a video screen. It looks amazing in the videos. It will look much more amazing in person.

The exosphere is also a lower resolution than the interior screens. I believe it's standard 4K resolution (which is still insane to have a 4K screen that large) - but the interior screens are supposed to be 16k.

They will print money for advertising.

Think about how much they could charge advertisers for Super Bowl Sunday alone? You know there's going to be a ton of overhead shots of the Strip for Super Bowl and you can't miss this thing.

Or March Madness - the busiest weekend of the year in Vegas. Or CES.

Yes, advertisers will come, Ray.

Last edited:
The exosphere is also a lower resolution than the interior screens. I believe it's standard 4K resolution (which is still insane to have a 4K screen that large) - but the interior screens are supposed to be 16k.

Think about how much they could charge advertisers for Super Bowl Sunday alone? You know there's going to be a ton of overhead shots of the Strip for Super Bowl and you can't miss this thing.

The concept of what the outdoor resolution even is a very strange thought. You’d need to do some kind of cylindrical reprojection and account for poles yada yada. I’m curious what the actual value is outdoors and how they’d even calculate it, but I’d imagine it is higher than 4K (but at a much lower pixel density than indoors).

The thing I'm most excited about from these videos is the fact that they actually pulled off exactly what they said they were going to pull off with the exosphere.

That's always been the big question re: the venue's success - can they actually pull this shit off or will this be a cheesey glorified IMAX?

For the exosphere the answer is a resounding yes. TBD still on the interior, obviously - but a great start.

Depends on what they’re charging. There’s no shortage of video screens in town selling advertising. I’m sure they want a premium and will get it from certain categories, but keeping that baby at 100% sold is a different story and I’m sure they want the cash flowing in quickly. I’d be curious to see what happens when the companies are buying time on the venue but not fully utilizing the unique features, as that could have a devaluing effect.

Depends on what they’re charging. There’s no shortage of video screens in town selling advertising. I’m sure they want a premium and will get it from certain categories, but keeping that baby at 100% sold is a different story and I’m sure they want the cash flowing in quickly. I’d be curious to see what happens when the companies are buying time on the venue but not fully utilizing the unique features, as that could have a devaluing effect.
Yea honestly I think it's less about the every day inventory and more.about selling a few key spots throughout the year, along with naming rights.

What's on the screen on a random Tuesday doesn't really matter as long as they sell their inventory for Super Bowl, March, CES, New Year's, etc. - which will undoubtedly be priced at a premium.

Considering how far and wide you can see this thing it wouldn't shock me if an airline bought the naming rights.

Southwest Sphere anyone?

Last edited:
Can't wait until it turns into a really shitty billboard a few years from now advertising weight loss and just a giant picture of me in 360.

The thing I'm most excited about from these videos is the fact that they actually pulled off exactly what they said they were going to pull off with the exosphere.

That's always been the big question re: the venue's success - can they actually pull this shit off or will this be a cheesey glorified IMAX?

For the exosphere the answer is a resounding yes. TBD still on the interior, obviously - but a great start.

Yeah, for all I knew about what it could look like, I've been genuinely impressed by those visuals.

I wonder what they'll have on it during the shows themselves? Just a rotating space baby? Or Adam's ballsack from the AB cover? The options are endless.

I've no doubt Willie Williams and the team will knock it out of the park in terms of the visuals, but I'm interested to see how it all comes together in terms of a show. Which I guess is where your IMAX comment comes in.

Late for the exosphere talk, but man, that thing looks sweet. I just honestly don't ever need to see the eyeball image again though. Yuck.

In other news, the FB group is so unhinged that it is impossible to tell if the following question is someone trolling or asking for real:

Any idea what type of hat the Edge will wear?

Fl68SlnWQAErhiG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom