May 2nd - Tulsa OK - BOK Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Garrison

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Incredible night in Tulsa, im not really great at reviews so i will post some brief thoughts and let others who are good at this kind of thing take it away.

One thing to note, and this should be obvious, but the show is VERY LOUD, earplugs might not be a bad idea.

The sound at BOK Center wasn't bad though it wasn't what i would call great, it was hard to decipher what Bono was saying at times.

The intro was very cool, the videos are out there so the surprise factor is gone, but the bands entrance in the screen was pretty neat.

The Blackout is a monster live. After hearing this i can now agree with those who were saying this could or should have been the lead single.

Lights of Home also a monster.

Bad news for some perhaps.....ABOY was also very good live and the crowd seemed to love it, sing along, etc. I doubt they drop it any time soon.

The Ocean and IRIS, very moving, beautiful.

Cedarwood Road was great song live, along with Raised by Wolves. SFS was a bathroom break and beer stand type of song. Some type of speech before it i couldn't tell what was being said it was hard to make out.

UTEOTW as always an absolute monster live.

The HMTMKMKM intermission video and song was really really cool. I agree this song should be played live but this mix is awesome. And the animation was a really fun moment in the show.

Elevation, Vertigo, as always, fun crowd pleasers,

The return of Mr. MacPhisto, this was quite a surprise :macdevil:
Very cool moment in the show and great on the screen.

This leads to the greatest moment of the show, ACROBAT, yes, it was very very special and the band put a lot of muscle into this song. The Edge absolutely tore it up, looking cool in his leather jacket and beanie.

SATS with just Bono and Edge sounded great, loved the song and would also love to have more POP songs on this tour. I wasn't crazy about the video on the screen, however.

At one point Edge walked off of the stage through the crowd (behind us) and made his way back to the main stage by the RZ. I thought that was kind of neat.

Pride actually sounded good for a change.

GOOYOW, not a fan of this song, period, just a total bore. This would be a great song to Drop from the setlist, maybe swap out for 'little things' or RFD.

American Soul, i have to be honest, im not a big fan of this song, at all. However, it is a MONSTER live. Who'd a thunk?

Wild Horses is probably my second or third favorite song of the night. Next to Acrobat and Blackout. Was great to hear the full band version of this song live. One of my favorite songs off of AB along with UTEOTW. Very beautiful, i hope they keep playing it.

One is a great song but honestly hasn't been great live in a long time, and yet it's always great to hear.

Love is Bigger....i think by the time they played this song my back was hurting really bad and it was all i could do to stand there. Maybe i would have enjoyed it better if not for that, who knows.

13-seemed like an odd song to close. There is a neat moment at the end where a house appears on the B-stage and the giant light bulb is hidden inside, Bono opens it up and the light bulb rises up and is whisked away. Bono then leaves the stage and disappears into the bowels of the arena.

All in all it was great fun and a great opening night as well. Not that i have ever been to an opening night before. The band seemed like they were having a blast, well, except for maybe you-know-who :larry::rimshot:

Honestly i don't know why people wait in line for hours to do this anymore, or start lists days in advance of a show. We didn't get in line until 6 pm, and by the time we went to the floor (after food, beverage, and such) it was probably 7:30 and we had a great spot with freedom to move around. We mostly stayed near the b-stage which was a great vantage point to both the stage and the screen. When Bono did the thing with his water bottle where he shakes it up and throws it out over the audience, we both got wet.

Also, you know you are in Oklahoma when towards the end of the show, Bono is advising the crowd to please be safe because of a tornado warning in the Tulsa area.

In summary, U2 still really knows how to put on a great show, both visually and technically stunning, with a few surprises along the way, and lots of fucking muscle. Bono sounds great and you do at times realize his voice is maturing, yet he can still set your heart on fire when he wails just right. The Edge really came alive during Acrobat, but he had a solid night overall. Larry, you still look hot even with your glasses, and Adam Clayton is still the coolest motherfucker on the planet. <--there is no disputing that :sexywink:

Thanks U2 for opening your tour in Tulsa Oklahoma, and for giving the locals and everyone else a night to remember :heart:

Nice review, thanks !!! I watched every songs today on YT and we have the exact same tastes and eyes :lol:

GOOYOW is the worst song since 1978:down:

Thank you :up:

I was hoping that by some twist of fate or magical moment GOOYOW would come alive in the same way that 'American Soul' did, but no, it was still flat.

I would still ditch both to hear RFD and 'Little things' if i had my way though...

Thank you :up:

I was hoping that by some twist of fate or magical moment GOOYOW would come alive in the same way that 'American Soul' did, but no, it was still flat.

I would still ditch both to hear RFD and 'Little things' if i had my way though...

Yes... flat and boring...

And yes, RFD is THE song i wanna see....

Yes, so the "first" song was more just like the album an intro to the show, as Bono lip sync the album song probably something to do with the APP i didn't download because I'm 40 and I don't wanna do it!

So The Blackout was the FIRST song, just like I thought, so I feel good. Let's revise the setlist please!

Just to be clear, I want to FUCK this set list. (with it's consent of course).

Yes... flat and boring...

And yes, RFD is THE song i wanna see....

I do hope you get the chance

Yes, so the "first" song was more just like the album an intro to the show, as Bono lip sync the album song probably something to do with the APP i didn't download because I'm 40 and I don't wanna do it!

So The Blackout was the FIRST song, just like I thought, so I feel good. Let's revise the setlist please!

I guess he was lip syncing to the recording, or maybe he was singing along to himself while the recording was playing.

I didn't download the app either. The screen at times appeared 3D-ish to me, i cannot for the life of me remember what song it was though. Hopefully someone else who was there can verify that or call BS, i was not under the influence of anything exotic i can promise that :wink:

Also during COBL they had some cool images of Tulsa on the big screen. I can only imagine they will do that for every city on the tour.

It's much better than it looks on paper that much is certain :drool:

Loving the varied set list, but they have to find a place for Streets. A U2 show isn’t complete without that one song.

I certainly understand the sentiment but i honestly didn't miss it. Obviously people who are just now seeing U2 for the first time will disagree. I suspect it will be back for the next tour regardless.

I thought it was amazing. They sounded great. I loved the different images on the screen and how they played inside and under the screens and moved from the main stage to the round stage. I got tons of pics and video (I even did some periscopes). I'm glad they decided to start the show at 8:30 instead of 8. They might have done it that way so people would have time to get to their chairs or the floor and because of the weather
My friend ordered the tix and when he ordered them, he got a free copy of the CD with each ticket so he gave me the CD last night. The new songs sounded great live. I want to see them again!

Another thing, I haven't been on this board in quite a few years. However, I will probably become a permanent poster from now on!

Great review! I agree about bringing earplugs, which I tried last night. I put them in during GOOYOW and it actually filtered out a lot of distortion so that I could actually understand what Bono was saying.

The little house at the end was an interesting addition. I saw it on the screen first and thought it was an animation or another AR element, and then I realized it was actually sitting there on the E stage! Then Bono opened the roof and set the lightbulb free. Symbolism... for something.

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting people from the internet and it was really nice to hang out with other fans in real life. :up:

I thought it was amazing. They sounded great. I loved the different images on the screen and how they played inside and under the screens and moved from the main stage to the round stage. I got tons of pics and video (I even did some periscopes).

I watched a lot of your periscope from Sydney - thanks so much!

It was nice to meet people there who had never been to a u2 show before, imagine how it looked through their eyes.

That's what bugs me though. Since I've been pitching this band to my friends for 35 years, I always experience their music, live and on record, through the eyes and ears and hearts of the non-believers. And if you could show them ONE live song to convince them of U2's greatness, I think 90% of us would show them Streets. I just can't believe they dropped it. It is their Piece de Resistance.

"The ones who love us best, are the ones we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays at best. The ones who love us least, are the ones we'll die to please. If it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them." --Replacements

Great review. You're right - it was LOUD!!!

I thought it was amazing. They sounded great. I loved the different images on the screen and how they played inside and under the screens and moved from the main stage to the round stage. I got tons of pics and video (I even did some periscopes). I'm glad they decided to start the show at 8:30 instead of 8. They might have done it that way so people would have time to get to their chairs or the floor and because of the weather
My friend ordered the tix and when he ordered them, he got a free copy of the CD with each ticket so he gave me the CD last night. The new songs sounded great live. I want to see them again!

Another thing, I haven't been on this board in quite a few years. However, I will probably become a permanent poster from now on!

If you want, feel free to share the pics or video :drool:

Great review! I agree about bringing earplugs, which I tried last night. I put them in during GOOYOW and it actually filtered out a lot of distortion so that I could actually understand what Bono was saying.

The little house at the end was an interesting addition. I saw it on the screen first and thought it was an animation or another AR element, and then I realized it was actually sitting there on the E stage! Then Bono opened the roof and set the lightbulb free. Symbolism... for something.

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting people from the internet and it was really nice to hang out with other fans in real life. :up:

Thanks. I just realized its called the e-stage and not b stage, :lol:

MacPhisto starts around 1:18:00. It is painful, and hilarious.

ZOMG?!?!?!?! I"M DYING!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!!

:up::applaud:

That's what bugs me though. Since I've been pitching this band to my friends for 35 years, I always experience their music, live and on record, through the eyes and ears and hearts of the non-believers. And if you could show them ONE live song to convince them of U2's greatness, I think 90% of us would show them Streets. I just can't believe they dropped it. It is their Piece de Resistance.

"The ones who love us best, are the ones we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays at best. The ones who love us least, are the ones we'll die to please. If it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them." --Replacements

Maybe you should start pitching Acrobat to your friends :wink:

I’m really not mad that they didn’t play Streets because I’ve seen it three times, and the casuals had plenty of chances on the JT Tour. I heard someone say afterwards, “They played songs I didn’t recognize!” Well boo hoo, let me get my tiny violin.

My own Mom kept laughing at my pictures I took of my reactions saying she wouldn't say what she wanted to. I finally got her to. She said it looked like i'd just had a roll in the hay. I just looked at her and cackled. So yep. :lol::sexywink:

I'm still trying to collect my thoughts but it was one of my favorite shows set list wise.

They just can't win- people here have complained for 15 odd years about them playing stuff like Streets repeatedly etc and now they finally drop them, and still people complain...

Ya.. people bitch and moan about everything. Just remember we are in over time folks. U2 is still here after all this time. Still HERE!!! :love: So many bands break up, fall apart but these guys are amazing. They have shown they are a band of brothers..a family. Be thankful they are still here alive and kicking!:love: One day for whatever reason it will all be over. Hoping later than sooner.

In the future I will make every effort to see an early show in the tour and a later show. I like the experimentation of these earlier shows. I'm worried that by May 26 a lot of the standards like Streets will be back due to popular outcry.

My own Mom kept laughing at my pictures I took of my reactions saying she wouldn't say what she wanted to. I finally got her to. She said it looked like i'd just had a roll in the hay. I just looked at her and cackled. So yep. :lol::sexywink:

I'm still trying to collect my thoughts but it was one of my favorite shows set list wise.

:lol:

I’m really not mad that they didn’t play Streets because I’ve seen it three times, and the casuals had plenty of chances on the JT Tour. I heard someone say afterwards, “They played songs I didn’t recognize!” Well boo hoo, let me get my tiny violin.

I guess i have seen them play Streets 11 times now going back to 1997...honestly i am okay with them dropping it i was only bummed they didn't play 'little things' in it's place for this tour.

Ya.. people bitch and moan about everything. Just remember we are in over time folks. U2 is still here after all this time. Still HERE!!! :love: So many bands break up, fall apart but these guys are amazing. They have shown they are a band of brothers..a family. Be thankful they are still here alive and kicking!:love: One day for whatever reason it will all be over. Hoping later than sooner.

Well said....this can't go on forever as much as we want it to. Got to approach each show like it could be your last one. I hate to say it but you never know. At the end of the day we are all lucky to have these shows. When it is over we'll have the memories

Back
Top Bottom