New York #3 Setlist Open Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRay9911

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
giphy.webp

Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - July 1, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / MRI ----------
01 - Love is All We Have Left
02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - :tbd:
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
08 - Iris
09 - Cedarwood Road
10 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
11 - Until The End Of The World
——-INTERMISSION: HMTMKMKM (Gavin Friday Mix)——-
12 - Elevation
13 - Vertigo
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
16 - You’re The Best Thing About Me
17 - Staring At The Sun
18 - Pride
19 - Get Out Of Your Own Way
20 - American Soul
21 - City Of Blinding Lights
——-Women Of The World——-
22 - One
23 - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It’s Way
24 - 13 (There Is A Light)

no_end_2_love is on Mixlr. Mixlr is a simple way to share live aud...
Sil Rigote is on Mixlr. Mixlr is a simple way to share live audio ...
joe_ahorro is on Mixlr. Mixlr is a simple way to share live audio ...
beautifulday36 is on Mixlr. Mixlr is a simple way to share live au...

No reason to believe they change anything up tonight, which should go over very well here
The soundcheck songs the other day were for the ritzies on the cape

i'll stick around through song 5 and update the thread, then it's all yours.

So do the small shows gets different set lists and special songs because they aren't part of the "narrative?" The tours are really Broadway shows at this point. People probably see Hamilton multiple times without expecting the songs to change. But I don't want it that way, dammit!

finally...

u2songs posted on twitter that it may be ABOY in the 5-slot.

You made the right choice GR2U

Updated...

Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - July 1, 2018

---------- It's a Beautiful World / MRI ----------
01 - Love is All We Have Left
02 - The Blackout
03 - Lights of Home
04 - I Will Follow
05 - All Because Of You
06 - Beautiful Day
07 - The Ocean
08 - Iris
09 - Cedarwood Road
10 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
11 - Until The End Of The World
——-INTERMISSION: HMTMKMKM (Gavin Friday Mix)——-
12 - Elevation
13 - Vertigo
14 - Desire
15 - Acrobat
16 - You’re The Best Thing About Me
17 - Staring At The Sun
18 - Pride
19 - Get Out Of Your Own Way
20 - American Soul
21 - City Of Blinding Lights
——-Women Of The World——-
22 - One
23 - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It’s Way
24 - 13 (There Is A Light)

I'm off to listen to all the LeBron to LA hot takes. See ya Tuesday

This is the first tour since Elevation that I have skipped. If I sprung for the tickets I would have been upset if I missed Gloria.

Was not expecting that LeBron move or for it to happen now.

Pretty sure SIL just trolled us all, screaming "I like the sound of my own voice, didn't give anyone else a choice." Well played.

I'm out too then! Good night.

Patti Smith right in front of us? Dancing Barefoot tonight to try to catch up with Sirius, which plays it once an hour? [emoji6]

Ok so New York scorecard:
ABOY 3x
Gloria 1x

Well that’s disappointing

I got Out Of Control (a song that I almost don’t care for as much as ABOY) twice in New York on the last tour and missed the nights they played Gloria and Two Hearts Beat as one. Can’t win with this band.

Edit: I should add I did get Electric Co the third night however but they didn’t play Gloria, my white whale, at the last 5 concerts I attended.

Last edited:
WTF happened to Red Flag Day? I thought it sounded great, and it seemed to go over better than a lot of the new songs, like the turd that is Lights of Home. Whatever, I'm just glad I got RFD at my show instead of shitty ABOY. I've seen Gloria twice, but I'd take it anytime; top shelf U2 classic!

It's strange how over the course of Vertigo, 360 and especially I&E there was a fair amount of setlist variation. Then comes JT 2017, and by necessity that show had a pretty fixed setlist. Now, they're more rigid than ever about it. I get it, they're obsessed with their narrative, but fuck... 5 shows in NYC, mix it up a little bit!

It's strange how over the course of Vertigo, 360 and especially I&E there was a fair amount of setlist variation. Then comes JT 2017, and by necessity that show had a pretty fixed setlist. Now, they're more rigid than ever about it. I get it, they're obsessed with their narrative, but fuck... 5 shows in NYC, mix it up a little bit!

To me, it’s rather rude to the fans that they know for a fact attend multiple shows and expect SOME variation.

Even Bono’s jokes/anecdotes were the same at their little cape cod concert as the tour.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more. The band is about to sit out for awhile which they deserve after the grueling road schedule. The static set with 3 nights in NYC is quite absurd. I have kept my mouth shut recently because there’s no point. But you’re right by started on JT. I was fine with the rotation on Vertigo, 360, and Innocence. Very odd. Laziness who knows. These guys aren’t getting any younger and neither are their fans. The biggest frustration is we KNOW you deserve a lengthy break and then you play a Broadway static show heading in to your break period. I was shocked. I thought this would pick up where the Innocence leg left off. This is the weakest tour possibly ever that they’ve done. At least in my lifetime.

WTF happened to Red Flag Day? I thought it sounded great, and it seemed to go over better than a lot of the new songs, like the turd that is Lights of Home. Whatever, I'm just glad I got RFD at my show instead of shitty ABOY. I've seen Gloria twice, but I'd take it anytime; top shelf U2 classic!

This is a broadway show not a rock concert. Aboy fits the narrative better and that is what this weakest setlist they have ever played is all about.

To me, it’s rather rude to the fans that they know for a fact attend multiple shows and expect SOME variation.

I don't know if that percentage of people is as high as some people make it out to be. I mean, if you look at just outspoken GA people online or people like us on a message board, you might get that vibe... but even then, that might be something as low as two shows if even that. If you consider literally 10-20,000 people in an arena, I doubt the multiple attendees are going to be a significant portion of that.

In terms of actually expecting variation, well... look at the stuff we talk about on here. :lol:

Also static like their set lists is u2 fans complaining about it non stop.

I was going to forego this tour because I'm just not in a good place in my life right now. But when I saw that there were still tickets available for March 1st, I just had to go. I have rarely made such a good decision in my life. I cried during the first song...cried so hard...it was like my feelings of sadness and worry and heartbreak just all came out of me. But I was in a place I felt safe to release these feelings. I was with My Band, and while I was in the same place as My Band, everything would be okay, if only for a little while. And, it was.

If I’m singing American Soul this morning that means what? It makes be at least catchy and have a great beat.

so, yeah, it works way better live than on paper, and weirdly, the weakest part in this show was the strongest part in 2015 (Iris, CW, SBS). Once they show up on the b-stage the roof blows off and it's so much fun -- say what you will about Vertigo/Elevation, they slay live, and Acrobat is worth the price of admission.

then it turns political and i dare you not to cry the tears of the rightous from Pride on.

i think they need to drop all the 2015 stuff and make this tour about fighting Trump Nazis and (one assumes in August) European Fascists.

I didn’t realize how many songs from this tour they played again. But I realize it’s because they like the theme and use of sceeen. Iris. Cedar wood road. End of world. Works so well visually and theme wise. Still next tour the theme I want is just a band on a stage killing it.

i think they need to drop all the 2015 stuff and make this tour about fighting Trump Nazis and (one assumes in August) European Fascists.

2 hours of heavy handed politically themed lecturing from a group of millionaire tax dodging rock stars.... yeah, millions of concert goers would love to shell out hundreds of dollars a seat for that.

Back
Top Bottom