New York #1 Setlist Open Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Politics is one thing, politics backed by mediocre, heavy handed new songs about the subject is something else. Gimme something like Seconds, Love And Peace Or Else or When I Look At The World over what they're shoveling to audiences this tour.
You can't complain about mediocre, heavy handed political songs and then toss out Love and Peace or Else as an alternative.

It is not allowed.

I think SATS-Pride is the most effective part of the show, and enjoy the video during One. It's the dumb shit like American Soul that drags it down. I'd take LAPOE over that any day.

Love or peace is perfect U2 forces a bad or okay song from album on audience because it fits their political message of the night portion. But they have 50 songs that they can do that with. Just pick a good one

The showman. Little things. Landlady. we speak your name.

Plot twist: night 2 songs on night 1. Feel kinda bad for anyone who went tonight thinking Gloria was a sure thing.

I was there last night and let me lay down some backstory.....

In 2015 I saw an iE show at MSG(night 2). I so wanted to hear Gloria because it just is an awesome live song that I haven’t heard live yet. I remember thinking there was a 33% shot that I would get Gloria because they were rotating 3 songs in that slot (Gloria, Electric Co and OOC).... needless to say I got “there first single” according to Bono. I was very disappointed but the show was solid.

Fast forward to last night. After I Will Follow, which rocked BTW, I smile thinking Gloria is in the bag! Imagine my expression when I hear the opening sounds to All Because if You...those sons of bitches did it to me again!!! Tonight??? Oh, tonight they will play Gloria because Cosmo’s not there!

Mind you, I always was cool with All Because if you and if this were 2005, I still would be but I wanted Gloria.

Agree! Is ABOY a fan favorite? I really don't like it at all. But Was pleasantly surprised I didn't hate it live.

It’s not a fan favorite. I will Follow electrified the arena to the point where I could feel it shaking. Then ABOY hit and it sucked most (not all) the energy out. Had they followed up with Gloria, the place would have been awesome.

i haven't been paying attention, but during Acrobat are you supposed to use some dumb app to see him in full MacPhisto outfit, or is it just on screen?

No, it’s just on the screen. For me it was the most cringeworthy moment of the show. They use what looks like a cheap snap chat filter that only works half the time he is talking because as he moves his face the filter disappears and you just see Bono. It’s really cheesy....to the point where you have to ask WTF were they thinking.

I get people like this “character” of his (I never cared for it but it was before my time) and if done right it would be fine but it’s just not.

I don’t know, maybe it was just last night and tonight the “filter” will stay up the whole time he speaks but it’s still just weird to me.

I’m one of the guys who bought tix thinking Gloria was a sure thing.

I feel you brother. I was so pumped last night and then we got the “intellectual tortoise”. Lol

Curious what you thought of American Soul? I’m not big on that song but man did they have a lot of energy last night and between the drums and Edges guitar, it rocked.

One last thing...I was really shocked at how poorly “You’re the Best Thing About Me” was received. Since PopMart(my first show), every “lead single” has been received well and had energy but YTBT was not only boring as shit but the crowd hardly acknowledged it. At the end Bono jumped up and said something like “yeah” as if it was a great performance but no one really sang along or were into it. Hell, in 2009 and 2011 at the Meadowlands stadium the crowd was jumping when GOYB was played (they didn’t go nuts but were into it). A lot of it is on them and how they play it “full band acoustic” because it sounds really fucking bland but I thought people would be singing along to the chorus at least.

One last thing...I was really shocked at how poorly “You’re the Best Thing About Me” was received. Since PopMart(my first show), every “lead single” has been received well and had energy but YTBT was not only boring as shit but the crowd hardly acknowledged it. At the end Bono jumped up and said something like “yeah” as if it was a great performance but no one really sang along or were into it. Hell, in 2009 and 2011 at the Meadowlands stadium the crowd was jumping when GOYB was played (they didn’t go nuts but were into it). A lot of it is on them and how they play it “full band acoustic” because it sounds really fucking bland but I thought people would be singing along to the chorus at least.

it's a killer. it's two tours in a row they've fucked up what should be a big song in the arena - Every Breaking Wave took the air out of the arena with the piano-only version, and this baffling version of Best Thing. They could either play it like the album, they could remix it like Crazy Tonight/Kygo Remix and have fun with it but... Bono has to take his makeup off and talk to his wife. ok.

Every Breaking Wave was at least pretty in that version, and provided some good vocal bits for Bono. Best Thing is just bizarre.

I feel you brother. I was so pumped last night and then we got the “intellectual tortoise”. Lol

Curious what you thought of American Soul? I’m not big on that song but man did they have a lot of energy last night and between the drums and Edges guitar, it rocked.

Same thing happened to me on IE! I got “Out of control” twice (I find the song rather a bore). I did get “Electric Co” one night though which was a blast. I don’t have the cash to go to three shows this year so I just hope I get Gloria at the Newark show but now I might be getting all because of you again! Gloria has now become my white whale.

American Soul sounded good live though I’m not a fan of the song and what I refer to as the political block of the setlist.

All in all the show was fantastic right until best thing. They should have thrown in Streets and All I Want Is You in for good measure. That last portion of the setlist suffers from a sure fire U2 song greatly.

For those of you still who may buy tickets here last minute try your best to get the 212 level, the first row. I sat there last night and the view was amazing for this concert. Convinced they are the best seats in the house.

Last edited:
Every Breaking Wave was at least pretty in that version, and provided some good vocal bits for Bono. Best Thing is just bizarre.

yeah, i agree. i still think every breaking wave sucked the momentum of the shows out, but there were Bono Moments (TM) that got the crowd cheering and excited.

this... this is just weird.

In 2015 I saw an iE show at MSG(night 2). I so wanted to hear Gloria because it just is an awesome live song that I haven’t heard live yet. I remember thinking there was a 33% shot that I would get Gloria because they were rotating 3 songs in that slot (Gloria, Electric Co and OOC).... needless to say I got “there first single” according to Bono. I was very disappointed but the show was solid.

Fast forward to last night. After I Will Follow, which rocked BTW, I smile thinking Gloria is in the bag! Imagine my expression when I hear the opening sounds to All Because if You...those sons of bitches did it to me again!!! Tonight??? Oh, tonight they will play Gloria because Cosmo’s not there!

Mind you, I always was cool with All Because if you and if this were 2005, I still would be but I wanted Gloria.

Coworker walked by as I laughed to this post.

Sorry man.

I am so sorry!!!!

It's boring and a momentum killing moment... but still a better song than American Soulsuck

Back
Top Bottom