SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, would half an audience at an arena show NOT know "Acrobat"? I actually think that is VERY probable.

Sounds about right. But people who go to concerts of bands they are not obsessed about are used to that. I went and saw OMD the other day (they were VERY good, BTW...surprised me), and I know 7 songs in that setlist? But it was a great show.

Ultraviolet got play on Zoo TV, so you will catch those people, U2 fans in the day who see a song in concert, it moves them, they listen to it more. Ultraviolet also got some play on alternative/college radio. Not a lot, but album cut radio. I know my station played it. And not because of me.

Acrobat got neither concert exposure nor radio play.

There is certainly truth in the statement that old fans who are now casuals who played the shit out of Achtung Baby and may not even know the name of the song will recognize it and be like "shit...I forgot about this song." Some may add "I love it!"

But Ultraviolet had a bit more reach. And I can say from my seats up the Rose Bowl back end, it caused a lot of squirming. The chorus, as it is, caught some people. But it seemed like people were wondering when the next big hit was because this was the hits section.

So I am in between the "Acrobat will carry because it was on a huge album" and "10,000 people will flush toilets during the solo" position.

A lot of it depends on U2 really and if they can make it translate live in the “U2 magic” type of way.

I think of Volcano....I like the song but live it was atrocious and lacked the energy that the studio track had(California too). The flip of that is RBW, which was more engaging live than it was on the album.

All my opinion but it comes down to U2 and how they release the beast.

This is a great point... if they "mail it in" it will be a flop. But man, just think if they nail it.

Clearly U2 should just play Pride 25 times, as nobody will recognize anything else.

Pride's too obscure. The only song they can reliably play without losing the casuals is With or Without You - it was on Friends.

Maaaaaybe they could get away with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, but it's risky.

Pride's too obscure. The only song they can reliably play without losing the casuals is With or Without You - it was on Friends.

Maaaaaybe they could get away with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, but it's risky.
I think they could play One as well. The cas fans will know it from Mary J.

Plus it's a number, so it's easy to remember.

Clearly U2 should just play Pride 25 times, as nobody will recognize anything else.

This is ridiculous. When they played Vertigo 2x it was pretty cool but 25x....the SAME song?

People would walk out after the 3rd or 4th time they started the song. Not to mention no songs from SOE on the E-i tour? Not going to happen.

every time they've toured since 2005 I've been expecting a large dose from War and they never deliver, yet I'm always surprised. I think their reluctance to play anything other than Sunday Bloody Sunday and occasionally New Year's Day (and even more occasionally, 40) is one of the more perplexing decisions they make. War is great, it's beloved, and it's relevant. I don't get it!

every time they've toured since 2005 I've been expecting a large dose from War and they never deliver, yet I'm always surprised. I think their reluctance to play anything other than Sunday Bloody Sunday and occasionally New Year's Day (and even more occasionally, 40) is one of the more perplexing decisions they make. War is great, it's beloved, and it's relevant. I don't get it!
You'd think Seconds would be fairly relevant these days... and that they only brought out Two Hearts a handful of times is baffling.

I recall reading that Edge didn't like to play Two Hearts because it was was too fast and difficult to play, but now that I type that I'm having a hard time believing it - if he said that maybe he was joking. But yes, weird that they only played it 3 times. At least it got more plays than Miracle Drug - I didn't know they played that one in 2015. That's a very odd choice.

I recall Bono sort of angrily asking the crowd if they were happy they played Two Hearts at MSG. As if he read something on interference that pissed him off before they took the stage.

I recall Bono sort of angrily asking the crowd if they were happy they played Two Hearts at MSG. As if he read something on interference that pissed him off before they took the stage.

Could be the haircut jokes?

haven't posted or even visited in months, but i suspect they'll dust off streets at the last second and largely ignore joshua tree.

so far, so good from what i've seen from the spoilers. Red Flag Day needs to be played tho

He's tired of us trolls because we don't like his hairstyle.

There’s so reason to keep mining deep cuts from Boy, and never play anything from War except SBS and NYD. Seconds, Surrender and 2 Hearts would all be good choices, and of course we’re all waiting for Drowning Man. A lot of people own War, and a lot of people know it for more than the hits. Such a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom