***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone except vinyl-loving diehards noticed the Pop reissue? It's not like it was a proper reissue of the scale of the eighties albums and Achtung.

Yes please. Bring back the version from the Elevation tour. It was monumental. One of their greatest ever live moments.
It was a completely different, higher key that gave the sing a lot more energy. If they were to resurrect the song they will do it the original way as they are obviously blissfully unaware of how brilliant the Elevation version was.

Has anyone except vinyl-loving diehards noticed the Pop reissue? It's not like it was a proper reissue of the scale of the eighties albums and Achtung.

I have the entire discography on original US and European vinyl releases and have been slowly picking up the new vinyl reissues.

The Pop through Atomic Bomb reissues are all basically straight reissues with no added booklets, extra tracks, etc but are pretty solid overall compared to now pricey originals (the new ATYCLB is slightly better mastered and pressed, imo) but Pop is the one album I definitely prefer the original '97 vinyl release for. The original is mastered much hotter/louder then the new reissue. I have yet to blow the cash for the newly reissued Wide Awake EP so I can't comment on that one.

I would really like to see a reissue over 2 LPs for the Zooropa and Passengers albums as those two seem to suffer the most from too much music that requires space for the subtle nuances and bass in the tracks crammed in the grooves of a single record

It was a reissue only on vinyl so not sure how to gauge the question, however it did hit #4 in vinyl sales in the US so there was clearly some demand there.

Just listened to pop today for the first time in awhile. WHAT A SHAMEFULLY UNDERRATED ALBUM!!!!! It’s not just a good collection of songs, but the album itself is a very coherent journey. The fact that U2 have disowned it really pisses me off!

Discotheque, Mofo, LNOE, Gone and Please should be added to the regular rotation, as they are great live songs. I can see how they find Zooropa to be a bit throwaway (even though it’s one of my favorites), but POP should be among one of their classics.

Sorry, just had to get that rant out.

From an artistic standpoint I have no issue with two new songs to close - I also generally don't give a turkey about the casuals, and I believe that if that put on a great show they can get away with this many new songs in the set.

But the exception to that rule is when you tell everyone this is your last song and then break into 13. That's going to send the casuals to the exits like someone just yelled fire. If you have a two hour trip back to San Francisco ahead of you on a Monday night... and the choices are getting a head start or hearing 13? You're out. Especially if it comes on the heels of another new song.

I think the solution that would allow them to keep 13 as the closer but save the encore from being a total excuse to flood the exits would be to toss Bad in there between 13 and Love Is Bigger. Then go seamlessly into 13, but don't say as thing about it being the last song. Just say goodnight at the end.

Well the other issue is insisting on playing the whole song. It's rather long to sit through that after the high of Love Is Bigger.

Moment of Surrender didn't go over well in that spot, either. A real shame. It should have been the centerpiece of 360.

Bad into 13 would be fine. 13 into Streets would be fine. One into 13 would be fine. Love Is Blindness into 13 would be fine. Etc., etc.

But you guys are exactly right. And, hell, the moment they go into Love Is Bigger seems to be the cue to leave. They need a big finale that people want to stay to hear. 13 by itself is not it.

Bad into 13 would be fine. 13 into Streets would be fine. One into 13 would be fine. Love Is Blindness into 13 would be fine. Etc., etc.

But you guys are exactly right. And, hell, the moment they go into Love Is Bigger seems to be the cue to leave. They need a big finale that people want to stay to hear. 13 by itself is not it.
I think slapping Streets to the end of 13 would ensure the dopey list people or others who checked out the set list spoilers beforehand to stay, but the average Joe who just wants to hear with or without you is heading to the exits the second they play a second straight new song and would miss the big payoff.

That's why I think it needs to be in between the two.

Also think Wild Horses needs to be in there every night. It's not exactly uplifting topically, but at least it has good energy and is a sing along. The encore is pretty depressing right now.

It would be better if they could wrap up the story arc/i&e shit in the main set, and then just have a big ole hit parade for the encore.

Well the other issue is insisting on playing the whole song. It's rather long to sit through that after the high of Love Is Bigger.

Moment of Surrender didn't go over well in that spot, either. A real shame. It should have been the centerpiece of 360.

Yeah Moment of Surrender started a mass exodus both nights in Foxboro, but as the traffic there is legendary and both shows were work nights it wasn't that surprising.

Last edited:
Yeah Moment of Surrender started a mass exodus both nights in Foxboro, but as the traffic there is legendary and both shows were work nights it wasn't that surprising.

I can confirm this as I was at both shows too. I've been to a number of events at Foxboro and my theory going in is it's going to take as long to get out of there as the event you've just witnessed. ... Tough spot indeed.

I think slapping Streets to the end of 13 would ensure the dopey list people or others who checked out the set list spoilers beforehand to stay, but the average Joe who just wants to hear with or without you is heading to the exits the second they play a second straight new song and would miss the big payoff.

Also think Wild Horses needs to be in there every night. It's not exactly uplifting topically, but at least it has good energy and is a sing along. The encore is pretty depressing right now.

It would be better if they could wrap up the story arc/i&e shit in the main set, and then just have a big ole hit parade for the encore.

I still feel like this might be coming. I think this set settles in to 24-25 songs, and they add a couple hits in.

i played with the set a little, trying to keep the same theme and not just pull random songs out of my ass that i like and only stick with songs that have been rehearsed (with maybe one exception in the slot 16 rotation, plus adding in Bad which they shouldn't have an issue pulling out) while still skipping Joshua Tree songs.

i think this would still flow, build up the MacPhisto part a little more, not dump the new songs, but beef up the encore with hits to prevent the exodus. kept it at 27 songs off of Tulsa.

keeps the important parts of the dublin suite together - dad rock hit parade out of the encore. fleshed out the macphisto section a little bit so that it didn't seem as awkward. come back to some new songs that are highly personal (and bring back Little Things, who's exclusion is a travesty) - dump pride but keep a two song america on a shiny hill blowjob part to close out the main set. then let's do some uptempo hits, a classic, an uplifting new song and some pure u2 magic and call it a day.

1.Love Is All We Have Left
2.The Blackout
3.Lights Of Home
4. Beautiful Day / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
5. I Will Follow / Mother (snippet)
6. New Year's Day
7. Get Out Of Your Own Way
8. The Ocean
9. Iris (Hold Me Close)
10. Cedarwood Road
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
13. Until the End of the World / Love, Reign O'er Me (snippet)
(Intermission - ANYTHING OTHER THAN HOLD ME THRILL ME KISS ME KILL ME!!!)
14. Elevation
15. Vertigo
16. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me / Last Night On Earth / The Fly (rotation) (MacPhisto)
17. Acrobat (MacPhisto)
18. bossa nova Best Thing
19. The Little Things That Give You Away
20. 13 (There Is A Light)
21. American Soul
22. United States Declaration Of Independence (snippet) / City of Blinding Lights

encore(s):
23. Desire
24. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
25. One
26. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
27. Bad

Last edited:
after 2 shows, the evidence is in: Acrobat is not going over well. Very mild applause so far on both nights.

so when will they dump it? I say once they go to Europe. Which will be ironic.

I reckon put 13 at the end of the main set. Bono still gets his personal send-off thing, and the effects don't need to be changed. They barely even need to adjust the song order to make this work either. Put 13 after COBL, and to make room in the second set move Vertigo to the encore. Make the encore Vertigo/WGRYWH/One/Love Is Bigger or whatever.

If they're going to ditch Wild Horses and Raised by Wolves, then I am extra grateful that I was at Tulsa, because those were both firsts for me. And I never thought I would ever see ABOY live, so that was nice, too. :up:

They should just close with 40. Everyone loves it, it's easy the play, it's fts any theme they've ever had, it's uplifting, gets the crowd involved...

It's insane that they basically never close with one of the all time great, legendary closers.

Back
Top Bottom