*Rumor* - Larry to retire after E+I tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's a matter of time until the band calls it quits. They've always said it's better to go out on a high than it is to fade out.

Looking at the ticket sales of this tour, they appear to be an indication that they're slowing down... of all the members I worry about the most, it's Bono. Perhaps Larry is doing a pre-emptive move to make Bono focus on his health and live out his life with his family / doing charitable work ever since his "brush with mortality"

Man, Bono’s speaking voice has changed so much over the years.
What threw me was Bono going on about how they aren't a political band and that they weren't effected by The Troubles growing up and only really started thinking about it after leaving Ireland.

Soooo was War the first example of U2 trying to be what everyone wanted them to be?

What threw me was Bono going on about how they aren't a political band and that they weren't effected by The Troubles growing up and only really started thinking about it after leaving Ireland.

Soooo was War the first example of U2 trying to be what everyone wanted them to be?

Well it was all innocence before they ventured out of Dublin. :wink:

Almost like Larry wanted to be spokesman back then.

Just discovered this thread. Can't believe you've filled 15 pages talking about absolute nonesense. There is no substance to this rumour. Could they stop any day? Sure. But there is zero indication of this right now.
I think it's a matter of time until the band calls it quits. They've always said it's better to go out on a high than it is to fade out.

Looking at the ticket sales of this tour, they appear to be an indication that they're slowing down... of all the members I worry about the most, it's Bono. Perhaps Larry is doing a pre-emptive move to make Bono focus on his health and live out his life with his family / doing charitable work ever since his "brush with mortality"
They've also said they have a lot to tell (Bono in a recent interview). Doesn't sound like a band that wants to quit. As for Bono, he should just start taking care of his body a bit more. I think he probably understood that now. Bono slowing it down though? Yeah, no way. Not the same guy who flew from Berlin to Washington for a meeting on a two day break in between shows. He gets his time off in between tours and albums, and I think that's probably as much downtime as he can stand. So I do agree that the one to probably call it quits at some point is Larry (he doesn't look very healthy btw). But not quite yet.

IMHO, He did not look well last night.
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he calls it quits.

Flame away.

I think AB30 is likely because of that reason. An Achtung Baby / Zoo TV 2.0 tour is their last chance to have a big stadium tour. That, or a farewell tour, which I don't think seems likely but you never know.

Couple months later, do you guys think an AB2021 tour is likely now that the 2 big "dangling carrots" from the album are likely setlist regulars on this tour?

Like this video from PopMart in Edmonton. Skip to 24:05 to watch Larry's reaction as the cameraman settles in at the base of his kit. "You got your five songs, mate, now shove off." :lol: Surprised he waited that long, since the media usually only get to shoot the first three songs up close...

That cameraman is part of their crew and travels with them. The Edmonton 97 video leak likely came from a band source since those 2 shows were some of the only good ones from the first tour leg.

IMHO, He did not look well last night.
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he calls it quits.

Flame away.

I thought he looked great in San Jose. He was smiling and singing and like pumped himself up when he got the drumming for Elevation right before the last chorus. Definitely the most enthused I've ever seen him

Couple months later, do you guys think an AB2021 tour is likely now that the 2 big "dangling carrots" from the album are likely setlist regulars on this tour?

I never thought of it as "likely" to begin with. Having said that, I don't think the success or failure of a AB30 tour would hinge on one song anyway.

Given what technology U2 are experimenting with on this current tour. I do think they could unleash a whole new spectacle in the upcoming years on a tour that revisits the ideas of ZOO TV.

Hey . . MacPhisto is back. Who would have thought we'd need him again?

And Trump is far better fodder for the Showman than Bush Sr ever was.

I thought he looked great in San Jose. He was smiling and singing and like pumped himself up when he got the drumming for Elevation right before the last chorus. Definitely the most enthused I've ever seen him

Yeah, if he's on the decline, he's got an odd way of showing it.

Ok, he started to age finally in 2015, but aside from that., I see no signs he's slowing down or looking to retire.

Look at him play Red Flag Day, Gloria and I Will Follow back to back just last night. He's playing Gloria faster and hitting harder than he did in 2015. And I was impressed with how he played it then.

I am going to revise my opinion on AB30. Given the return on Macphisto and Acrobat being a regular, a Zoo TV 2.0 tour would be a little redundant. I’m sure they could find a way to make a way for Zoo tv to fit with the times of 2021 or whatever, but I’m not seeing it happening.

At best, maybe we’ll get a few one off festival appearances where they play AB in full.

LOL, isn’t that what they said about the Joshua Tree back in Dec 2016? Just a “few special shows”?

Oh yeah... well, no matter what the next tour is, my ass will be there at least a couple times!!

I am going to revise my opinion on AB30. Given the return on Macphisto and Acrobat being a regular, a Zoo TV 2.0 tour would be a little redundant. I’m sure they could find a way to make a way for Zoo tv to fit with the times of 2021 or whatever, but I’m not seeing it happening.

At best, maybe we’ll get a few one off festival appearances where they play AB in full.

Yeah I think you can take that off the list now.

The “Snapchat” filter, bringing back Mac, and the one holy grail left being played every night; sure they may find other creative ways to comment and mirror ZooTV to Zoo2.0, but if there were ANY plans to do so, they would have held that whole segment back.

I'm surprised that nobody has come here to post what Bono said last night. It was before the final song of show, and he was thanking the L.A. crowd. He said something along the lines of "You have been so good to us here in L.A.(Los Angeles?), from the 1st time...." and then he paused for a second, before finishing, "to the last." I'm fairly certain that I heard it, because I was carefully listening as I was wondering where he was going with it.

I'm surprised that nobody has come here to post what Bono said last night. It was before the final song of show, and he was thanking the L.A. crowd. He said something along the lines of "You have been so good to us here in L.A.(Los Angeles?), from the 1st time...." and then he paused for a second, before finishing, "to the last." I'm fairly certain that I heard it, because I was carefully listening as I was wondering where he was going with it.

I KNEW IT. I knew someone was going to hear that and panic :lol:.

He was feeling overwhelmed and happy that he couldn't get people to stop singing the song so he could start 13 and just said something off the cuff. I'm sure he meant from the first time to the last as in most recent.

Could he have been making reference to the fact that this was the first time they weren't "so good to us"? I heard he had some issues with the audience, even had to ask them to shut up at one point?

Could he have been making reference to the fact that this was the first time they weren't "so good to us"? I heard he had some issues with the audience, even had to ask them to shut up at one point?

It was a positive thing. The audience kept singing the outro to Love is Bigger and he was definitely not upset about it, but he wanted to start The 13, so he was like, "And our NEXT SONG is..." and then he broke into the thing about how great LA has always treated them.

It was a positive thing. The audience kept singing the outro to Love is Bigger and he was definitely not upset about it, but he wanted to start The 13, so he was like, "And our NEXT SONG is..." and then he broke into the thing about how great LA has always treated them.

Ah, gotcha

Back
Top Bottom