*Rumor* - Larry to retire after E+I tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I KNEW IT. I knew someone was going to hear that and panic :lol:.

He was feeling overwhelmed and happy that he couldn't get people to stop singing the song so he could start 13 and just said something off the cuff. I'm sure he meant from the first time to the last as in most recent.

Point is you thought the same thing, otherwise you wouldn't have known someone else was going to hear it and panic. The statement with the words First & Last as bookends, does have a certain interpretation. Your point about it being off the cuff could be argued certainly, but that's not the way it sounded.

Or he was so mad people were singing along, he decided then and there to retire after this tour.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL WHICH THEORY IS RIGHT.

He was feeling overwhelmed and happy that he couldn't get people to stop singing the song

Shame they don’t realise that Love Is Bigger would be a natural high closer, rather than the snoozy, sedate 13. (I’m looking forward to seeing the show as it is, btw, but sense the finale is a little flat).

Shame they don’t realise that Love Is Bigger would be a natural high closer, rather than the snoozy, sedate 13. (I’m looking forward to seeing the show as it is, btw, but sense the finale is a little flat).

I think they realize things fine as they wrote and design the shows, so I will trust their opinion. Sure, ending with a faster paced song would be the obvious thing to do as it would please the majority of people since most rock shows end like that. However, they had a story to tell and stuck with it. However, like Zoo TV when they ended with Love is Blindness, it worked well and I thought this was a good ending song as well.

Last edited:

Thematically, 13 is the perfect closer. And personally I think it's one of the most beautiful closers I've seen them do. No, it's not rousing, but that's not unusual for u2: 40, Love is Blindness...I guess I'm one of the fans who prefers to walk out of the arena with tears rolling down my cheeks instead of sweat.

Larry was fine last night. He was Larry. He even smiled some, and actively sang backing vocals.

Back
Top Bottom