How are the tickets selling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every marriage is different i suppose.

Fact is U2 has been incredibly generous with their touring since 2015. So i have left the home for lots of shows (8) since 2015.

So yeah it comes down to: “you spend too much on that band” (she’s right)

“You spend too much of your vacation on that band” (she’s right)

So when this tour was announced, understand i was walking on eggshells. Still scheming to do more than 2 shows, but i have to be a smart husband about it.

Doesnt help she thinks U2 is old and washed up. Lol!

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Its heartening to see other married fans in my position.

Sounds like you should be questioning your choice of spouse, not your choice of band.

Just curious to why your wife would be unhappy if you go away a few days to see a show. Why would that ruin a marriage i mean? I suppose you are together like 350+ days of the year anyway...

Wonder how people that work on oil rigs or such manage marriage.

Women mate , they always find something to moan about

Women mate , they always find something to moan about

Going a wee bit off topic now and i don't mean to be condescending but i could never stand being in a relationship were it 'forces' me to just stay home pretty much all the time just 'cus reasons. Even being in one i want to be able to do the things i love to do and going to gigs with the bands i love as much as possible during our short time on earth.

Sounds like you should be questioning your choice of spouse, not your choice of band.

Can’t have it all Brother. She is amazing in many other ways.

Lets bring the topic back on target. Can’t believe opening night is still not sold out. Even with high prices.

Last edited:
I was going to post something long, but it got too personal, so nah. But relationships are complex and you've got to make sure your interest in something doesn't suck up so much time, money, and emotion that a partner feels unimportant by comparison. So on the one hand, go to as much of the stuff you love as possible, but saying "lol get a new wife" is a really simplistic take.

Can’t have it all Brother. She is amazing in many other ways.

Lets bring the topic back on target. Can’t believe opening night is still not sold out. Even with high prices.

I can since it is in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the prices are too high for that market i believe.

There's always going to be people who say "You shouldn't marry somebody who doesn't let you do the things you want". It's rarely that simple, especially when you factor in kids, work schedules, shared marital money, etc.

I have my oldest friend's bachelor party coming up this summer that will involve me taking 2 nights away from my family. There's also a work related trip next month where I'll have to spend 2 nights in a hotel. I'll mostly be sitting through meetings/lectures, and spending a day at a trade convention. Me and some of the guys will probably go to a nice restaurant and drink a fair amount at the hotel bar, but it will be very much work related. But as far as she's concerned, I might as well be going to Europe for a month! We also have a family vacation out west planned this summer around her best friend's wedding. So basically, I don't feel like adding another mini-vacation to Nashville or Chicago to see a band I've already seen 13 times, including twice last year, would go over very well with my wife.

Like I said, if U2 were like a normal band and came to a city near me that I could drive home from after the show, she wouldn't care. I have Columbus (45 min drive), Cincinnati and Indianapolis (2 hour drive), Louisville, Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh (3-4 hour drive) from my house. It's insane to me how often U2 does not come to at least one of those.

Last edited:
Back to the concert sales, I think the only show that won't be sold out by show day is San Jose 2. They're gonna have to hang some curtains upstairs, and move some people around. Chicago 2 has a long way to go, but Chicago will come through. St. Louis probably won't completely sell out, but the venue will appear full. Tulsa will be sold out.

Going a wee bit off topic now and i don't mean to be condescending but i could never stand being in a relationship were it 'forces' me to just stay home pretty much all the time just 'cus reasons. Even being in one i want to be able to do the things i love to do and going to gigs with the bands i love as much as possible during our short time on earth.

It's all about compromising mate. I am married and have children, if all I do is things for me then that makes me a pretty selfish husband and father. You have to have a good balance. Fortunately for me I do have it. I know when I'm taking the piss and when I have to wheel it in abit. 1 concert turns into 2 then 3 then it's ok I'm spending a lot of money here. Money that could be spent on my family. I wouldn't stop in her way of doing what she wants to do but it's all within reason. Like I said compromise, it's not a dirty word [emoji2]

It's all about compromising mate. I am married and have children, if all I do is things for me then that makes me a pretty selfish husband and father. You have to have a good balance. Fortunately for me I do have it. I know when I'm taking the piss and when I have to wheel it in abit. 1 concert turns into 2 then 3 then it's ok I'm spending a lot of money here. Money that could be spent on my family. I wouldn't stop in her way of doing what she wants to do but it's all within reason. Like I said compromise, it's not a dirty word [emoji2]

I guess one of the reasons i am not tied down and don't want to have children ever like at all. Also the planet need less of us not more so not having children is only good.

I guess one of the reasons i am not tied down and don't want to have children ever like at all. Also the planet need less of us not more so not having children is only good.

[emoji848][emoji848]

All I'm gonna say to that is having children is the best thing that can ever happen to anyone.

[emoji848][emoji848]

All I'm gonna say to that is having children is the best thing that can ever happen to anyone.

Those that haven't had kids just can't understand the meaning of it like parents do. That said, with the attitude of some, it's probably best that they don't. It's the most rewarding thing a person can do, by far, but also a huge challenge and sacrifice.

I have a 1 year old boy.. So travelling to see U2 is not in the cards. But, um, yea I think I'll take my kid over seeing one of my favorite bands LOL. Just hoping for Vancouver being added!

My kids are 6 and 4. Hopefully U2 tour again in a few years so I can take at least my oldest. The first song he ever really liked was "Ordinary Love". He would ask for it over and over again! Meanwhile I was kinda lukewarm towards that song, but I'll always have that memory of my son enjoying it, which will always make me happy to hear it.

My kids are 6 and 4. Hopefully U2 tour again in a few years so I can take at least my oldest. The first song he ever really liked was "Ordinary Love". He would ask for it over and over again! Meanwhile I was kinda lukewarm towards that song, but I'll always have that memory of my son enjoying it, which will always make me happy to hear it.

That's great! Nice when your little ones have good taste in music.

My father would play his Billy Joel records when I was around that age. Billy came to town and dad needed a date. He offered me to come. I was perplexed... "Is Billy Joel real?" I asked. 5 years old, and one of the best days of my life!

Occasionally I mute the volume of paw patrol, and play songs of experience. My 1 yr old doesn't seem to mind :)

Last edited:

Great post.

That's totally fine. Although a little dictatorial.

Funny how you allowed yourself the last word prior to ending the conversation. As a married man, I can live with that ;)

This has a great deal to do with how little they've been charging for the nosebleed seats. They were like $30 list price on SOI and surely were much more than that on the Vertigo Tour, especially when you factor in inflation. Vertigo was like $150 (plus inflation) for the seated tickets that are now regularly $300 at minimum on this new tour.

I've always felt that the fairer thing to do is make the hardcore GA nuts subsidize the rest of the show. They'll easily pay $100 a ticket for the experience yet we're making people pay MULTIPLE TIMES MORE for a potentially worse experience up in the seats. Higher GA prices also would have led to the band not being as annoyed with seeing the same faces every night as it would be more cost prohibitive to be down in the field or pit as often.

I always do GA because its generally the cheapest and obviously the best place to see the show as your the closest to the band. I love the system they have and they have been doing it since 2001. I don't know of any other artist that does this which makes it special. If they reverse this pricing system then I'll have to go into the seats. I think low priced GA is a plus for the band and good for their street credibility. They will lose fans and a lot of enthusiasm if they reverse it.

Bono literally spent most of the JT shows just standing there after having recently dealt with a near death experience along with plenty of bodily injuries in recent years. And on 360 shows you can hear him start to "shout" more than singing - a trend that continues on to this day..

I loved the JT show I attended. The band sounded great and all, but Bono clearly doesn't have as much gas left in the tank and the quality of the performances and excitement factor continues to deteriorate, propped up only by the next big visual gimmick.

And this all coupled with mediocre albums that interest pretty much nobody except their most hardcore audience. Do you really want to see Bono out there ten years from now becoming another Mike Love as he just kind of stands there and whispers into the microphone? Do you really need to see more U2 shows as the band continues to just become weaker and weaker as a touring unit? Fair enough if you want to see some of those new songs live, but pretty much anything older is something you've already heard in far better incarnations in years past.

And on top of all that I just mentioned, we would have so many more U2 albums if they weren't focused on touring for a full year or more every time they release an LP.

I think that is BS. Bono moved around about as much as he did 30 years ago on the original Joshua Tree Tour. The Band sounded great and I was just as excited as I was when I first saw them on ZOO TV. I actually think they gave some of the best performances of their entire career of various songs.

The new albums are fantastic and I consider Songs Of Experience to be the 6th best album of their entire career. The band have not lost their touch at all.

If you think U2 is weak and getting weaker than I suggest you move on to something else. Oh and as far as Bono "shouting" I've heard him do that on every tour. If you have actually explored U2 live through the over 1,000 shows that are out there as bootlegs you would know this.

This pristine image of the past/80s and the present as being sub-par comparatively is a myth. It persist because of ageism. Ageism is also the reason why they can get the new songs played on the radio in heavy rotation.

You know there are a lot of great things about being single!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom