GA "Line" Shenanigans Part 2: You Just Made The List!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mostly just lurk-a-lot but this GA forum made for some great reading after a long day at work!

I just checked for the nearest Dunkin Donuts to the venue in my town and its too far to be a practical line-runner-meeting-spot, dammit I was hoping to get that free coffee that comes with my AARP membership.

I just checked for the nearest Dunkin Donuts to the venue in my town and its too far to be a practical line-runner-meeting-spot, dammit I was hoping to get that free coffee that comes with my AARP membership.

No, its not. As long as its within 20 miles and hard to find for those not in the loop, its perfect.

Here we go. [emoji52]

[TWEET]883299131736961024[/TWEET]

"Won't happen in Europe" :wink::wink::wink:

Only 2 check ins. Not a line. Pathetic. Some of my friends checked in and its already way over 50 people.
No messages anywhere until U2start tweeted it. So someone wanted to keep this a secret.

Same old bs. :D

Last edited:
No, its not. As long as its within 20 miles and hard to find for those not in the loop, its perfect.

I have an idea, for the San Diego show how about I start it at one of the 'bertos taco shops. Half the fun will be figuring out which one. First 20 on the list, rolled tacos are on me.

Hy7yvWl.jpg

This afternoon. (Mind you I'm at home on a couch and avoiding the UK )

The 2 "field entry gates" have changed into one according to people who visited Twick .

It is possible to get main stage rail without playing the list game. I showed up at 3 and got a spot midway down the barrier. I couldn't see them at all on the tree stage but had a decent view of them at the main. The camera only obstructed my view minimally.

20170625_223950_zps5p8wjgd7.jpg

20170707_155248_zps9gf5peib.jpg

20170707_155706_zpsfpgbqixu.jpg

Last edited:
I have an idea, for the San Diego show how about I start it at one of the 'bertos taco shops. Half the fun will be figuring out which one. First 20 on the list, rolled tacos are on me.

I want to sign up.

I have seats, but I want to check in with various aliases and cause line gaps at 23, 46, 112, 153, 167, and my favorite, 202.

Maybe show up and queue up with my best number, then have someone I find from the regular GA line that is a normal human being and has no possible way of knowing such a thing as GA sign-in exists, come take my spot right before the entrance.

I guess that is the part of this whole thing that is the most infuriating to me...before this tour, I occasionally looked at these boards but was not a member here, or any U2 board, and while I am a pretty big U2 fan and a regular concert goer, I had no idea such a thing as a GA check in existed. So, if I bought my GA tickets and read the venue rules made my plans based on those rules, I would have no opportunity, according to this system, to be in the front of this line. Regardless of any possible benefits from such a system, or what "great and nice" people run such a thing, the truth is knowledge of its very existence requires steps that are not in the normal process for they typical concert goer. If the venue does not provide GA "line sign up" information to all fans, the system is hidden and elitist. Even if, allowing for suspension of disbelief, that is not the intent of the "line leaders" (2nd grade flashback).

I know I am rehashing what's been said a thousand different ways above, but the pro-line sign-up people appear to tune out the anti-line sign-up people because they are old battle lines drawn over years on this and other forums. The sign-up people discard the complaints as typical of those people. But, damn...you are only hearing from the people already on here. If you put this information out to the tens of thousands of people who attend each show, you'd get the same "WTF?" response. Because it is bullshit. Setting up a system with no publicity outside of a community of insiders who know to look for it is hiding it, even if it is hiding in plain view on Facebook. I never would have thought in a million years to search for such a thing. And if this is enforced in any way through threats and even implied violence, it is reprehensible.

It is possible to get main stage rail without playing the list game. I showed up at 3 and got a spot midway down the barrier. I couldn't see them at all on the tree stage but had a decent view of them at the main. The camera only obstructed my view minimally.

20170625_223950_zps5p8wjgd7.jpg

20170707_155248_zps9gf5peib.jpg

20170707_155706_zpsfpgbqixu.jpg

I was one spot behind the fabulous daygloweyes2 and rolled in at 4:45. I loved that spot

Just wanted to share my experience doing GA for Cleveland.

1) FirstEnergy did not honor the list (which is good, imo). This angered the list keepers and we even saw grown women crying (presumably because they got bumped down the list due to people who showed up early Saturday morning).

2) FE was not as well organized as Pittsburgh (the other concert I did GA for). It took much longer to go through security, the line was chaotic, and overall it just felt very poorly done compared to Pitt which was a breeze.

3) Funny, or not so funny story. After the first 100 got wrist banded, one of the list people came to the back of the line (where we were) and proceeded to tell us "I don't think it's worth you guys waiting for a wrist band, you might as well just come back at 5pm and line up." She was totally serious and I'm not sure what her motivation was in doing this, but we ignored her and stood in line. As it turns out, if we had followed her "advice" we would have been number 2000 or so to get into the stadium. So if anyone ever tells you not to wait for the wrist band, IGNORE them.

4) There are some real douche bags in GA. I was attending with my two nieces, ages 17 and 11. We got to the stadium at 7am, got wrist banded and managed a great spot 2-3 rows back from the middle right of B stage. Of course, the normal concert shovers showed up. We saw two people who were not in the first 2000 people push their way to a row back from us (and we were numbered 580). Whatever, they were pretty decent acting people aside from that.

But then before U2 goes on, I start noticing a drunk chick shoving HARD into my back. For no reason. I've been to dozens of GA concerts so I know to just stand my ground and not let her push me. Well she starts asking me what my problem is, all while slurring her words and drinking a beer. I'm like, nothing, I'm just standing here with my nieces, trying to enjoy the show. So whatever, I turn back around. Couple minutes later, she pushes so hard I lose my balance and go into the people in front of me. They're angry and I try to explain what's happening, but they don't know me so they tell the two of us to just grow up. Again, I'm not going to let this drunk douche ruin my concert.

She keeps trying to start problems, claims she's sober and hasn't drank anything, the people to my left notice and tell her to move out of the area, she of course is just as combative with them as she was with me. Anyway, I ended up moving away a bit into the concert (closer to the center) and the drunk douche became the people ahead of me's problem. They finally understood what I was dealing with, nearly get into a fist fight, call security on her twice and security just warns her. Doesn't kick her out. Why on earth they didn't kick her ass out, I'm not sure. But it pissed me off to have to deal with that nonsense.

I'm all for drinking and having a good time, but if you're gonna do it, act responsibly or don't do GA up close.

Anyway, despite all of that it was a good show. Just hate to see these douches ruining it for the rest of us, whether it's shoving their way to the front or starting some list.

I guess that is the part of this whole thing that is the most infuriating to me...before this tour, I occasionally looked at these boards but was not a member here, or any U2 board, and while I am a pretty big U2 fan and a regular concert goer, I had no idea such a thing as a GA check in existed. So, if I bought my GA tickets and read the venue rules made my plans based on those rules, I would have no opportunity, according to this system, to be in the front of this line. Regardless of any possible benefits from such a system, or what "great and nice" people run such a thing, the truth is knowledge of its very existence requires steps that are not in the normal process for they typical concert goer. If the venue does not provide GA "line sign up" information to all fans, the system is hidden and elitist. Even if, allowing for suspension of disbelief, that is not the intent of the "line leaders" (2nd grade flashback).

I know I am rehashing what's been said a thousand different ways above, but the pro-line sign-up people appear to tune out the anti-line sign-up people because they are old battle lines drawn over years on this and other forums. The sign-up people discard the complaints as typical of those people. But, damn...you are only hearing from the people already on here. If you put this information out to the tens of thousands of people who attend each show, you'd get the same "WTF?" response. Because it is bullshit. Setting up a system with no publicity outside of a community of insiders who know to look for it is hiding it, even if it is hiding in plain view on Facebook. I never would have thought in a million years to search for such a thing. And if this is enforced in any way through threats and even implied violence, it is reprehensible.

I've seen some comments by those people along the lines of "whoever doesn't know about the line or look it up online is an idiot." I've literally dealt with zero other bands that maintain some sort of "list" or people that start one two or so days before a show. Even for some of the larger bands I go see, people don't really get there until sunrise (if that) and aren't picky about who is first.

Like you said, a lot of times, people might just call the venue to see what the policy is going to be. I signed up here around 2004 and didn't really post often until NLOTH era, and when I did GA for the first time on 360, I had zero ideas about any list existing. I actually called Soldier Field ahead of time to figure out what was what, but yeah... ultimately, it didn't matter because security that day just shut down any line they were trying to make and had people just sit down under an archway there in no particular order. There was some bickering for a few minutes, but luckily people calmed down and didn't really care where they were after that. Now that I think about it, someone did sign me up as 200-some with a marker when I arrived, but that didn't happen, obviously.

1) FirstEnergy did not honor the list (which is good, imo). This angered the list keepers and we even saw grown women crying (presumably because they got bumped down the list due to people who showed up early Saturday morning).

This is where I get confused. Maybe 20 people merged in with the front people in the line, ultimately... and people were that upset? Assuming half of those people went to the certain stage or rail spot you were aiming at, you might be a whole ten feet away from where you would've chosen to stand... if that.

I think the problem we're facing with Twickenham is they have no real policy. I spoke to an events guy yesterday evening over there and he pretty much admitted they didn't have a clue as all they ever do is rugby. The last concert they had was 4 years ago and he didn't know that people would want to queue. Also gate D will be a bit of a cluster as apparently that's where all of the staff for catering etc enter the stadium.

Back
Top Bottom