European Set Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good suggestions. When I saw it at MSG, I thought Love is all we have left was chilling... especially after the MRI image scan. Bono goes down on his knees and you get the sense that he's mortal, and weak... It's also cool because he kind of comes from nowhere and starts to sing. Maybe it got to me because I was close to the catwalk. Either way, I thought it was a neat intro. Looks like they scapped it for Europe in favour of the Blackout.

I’ve been saying for years they need to do a full band version of Stay. That’s my favorite U2 song, I’d really love to hear a full band version.

The catch is that all the good stuff is sandwiched between Get on Your Boots and a Bonologue tribute to Aretha where he splices One (acoustic) with some R E S P E C T.

I like the Zooropa shirt they're selling....nice and simple. And using the Zooropa intro during the opening video. They'll do anything except play the fucking song. :angry:
Perfect opener for the second half in the screen, they don't even need to force it into the extra-European portion of the show. But noooo!

I like the Zooropa shirt they're selling....nice and simple. And using the Zooropa intro during the opening video. They'll do anything except play the fucking song. :angry:
Perfect opener for the second half in the screen, they don't even need to force it into the extra-European portion of the show. But noooo!
But then who would song about moles?

Stay has always been performed down from its full album intensity. I’m missing that grimy Zooropa guitar in the chorus

Me: Why don’t you guys play Gone or A day without me tonight?
Bono: well, how are we gonna fit that into the set?
Me: BECAUSE IT IS A FUCKING U2 SONG AND THIS IS A FUCKING U2 CONCERT!!!
Bono- ya know, you’re right!!

Maybe next tour. (If there is a next tour) Make it a grab bag evernight
The best we can hope for from them is that they keep 2 to 3 slots in the set that they use to rotate, and the occasional gem.

I mean, look how long it took them to add these songs into the set after first soundchecking them over a month ago?

It would be a dream to have U2 go the Pearl Jam/ Springsteen route. But it's going to stay just that - a dream. I just don't think they're capable of doing it. I'm not sure if it's that they're simply not good enough musicians to do it without months of rehearsal, or if they're that overly sensitive to things being "perfect" that they're unable to just let it rip.

The old "the songs have to match the visuals" excuse is lame, as is the TIGHT NARRATIVE excuse.

Last edited:
The best we can hope for from them is that they keep 2 to 3 slots in the set that they use to rotate, and the occasional gem.

I mean, look how long it took them to add these songs into the set after first soundchecking them over a month ago?

It would be a dream to have U2 go the Pearl Jam/ Springsteen route. But it's going to stay just that - a dream. I just don't think they're capable of doing it. I'm not sure if it's that they're simply not good enough musicians to do it without months of rehearsal, or if they're that overly sensitive to things being "perfect" that they're unable to just let it rip.

The old "the songs have to match the visuals" excuse is lame, as is the TIGHT NARRATIVE excuse.

360 was somewhat more exciting with varying slots, and brand new material, (even though some of it was trash like North Star) . . . Imagine being at a U2 show and getting an unreleased song?

Copenhagen 2 was definitely nice to see. I am not complaining, just pointing out that we're at 21 songs here. That should be 2 or 3 longer at minimum. At least go back to what they've been doing. I know Tulsa length shows are probably out the window at this point.

They are definitely on the right track with what they have cut this leg, though. Love is all we have lip synched out as the opener and now they've cut the innocence 2015 repeat segment entirely. I am a huge fan of SOI- both the album and the 2015 shows. I thought the whole innocence set that year was breathtaking. The album really resonated with where I was in life at the time- as did SOE for that matter.

So I am a big fan of the whole "songs of" era in general. I was probably one of the biggest knee jerk defenders of leaving the SOI songs in this time around. Until I saw the show in person- the visuals were, to my eyes, 99% the same and the performances were done at half the energy level of 2015. The only song that matched 2015, it appears, was RBW and that was long gone by the time I saw the show. I was actually bored during The Ocean through SBS and I thought it killed any hope the show had at gaining momentum. The only part of it that had any emotion or delivered any impact to me was the very beginning of Iris.

So I'm happy they proved to themselves they could play a show without that block of songs. I'm excited for what may be next because we all know it was going to take a structural change to a whole segment of this show to allow for any rotation. They had themselves so convinced about the tightness of the narrative as it was.

Here's what I'd do:

Blackout
Lights of home
I Will Follow
Gloria
Beautiful Day
Unforgettable Fire
Stay ("as an angel hits the ground"- cymbal crash then right into full band SBS)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Until the end of the world
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Best show of the year at the Apollo Theater, which was just a loose setlist with no narrative.

Yes it was! The best show by far.

Venue appropriate.

Come out firing with the early stuff- play some hits and "songs of" highlights mixed with the BB King style run of R&H songs for Harlem and the history of the venue.

It truly felt like they just sat down and crafted the best set of songs to play for that time and place and then proceeded to nail the performances.

It was the only time this tour that they truly felt like U2 to me, to be honest.

I loved my show- U2 a bit off their game is still better than anyone else at the top of their game. But SOE for me and many others I know was a noticeable drop off from I&E and JT.

Last edited:
I'm really pleasantly surprised with the recently willingness to mix things up. If they want to keep doing this for the rest of the dates, I would LOVE (while still keeping with their general themes),

-if the 4th spot instead of ABOY/RFD rotated an 'early' song only- Gloria, Electric co, Out of Control, and even 11 o'clock in Dublin
- the 6th spot instead of starting the innocence suite, rotated the 'achtung Berlin' suite (zoo/fly, stay, horses and add on love is blindness to close the act), rotating with a ''days of Pop' suite (mofo/disco, gone, please, wake up dead man)

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Back
Top Bottom