5/12 – Vancouver, BC – BC Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to Shanghai... after a 42 hours door-to-door trip to VC.
First time I saw these guys was in Paris/Vincennes 1987, I saw them another 28 times before last night's.
It made much sense for my 30th to be the opening of the JT Anniversary Tour!
Yes Bono's voice is not as strong as 30 years ago, we can question his hair cut, his moves, his underwear...
Point is that we never leave disappointed after a U2 show.
We always wished something was different, we always wished they sang xxx instead of yyy, bottom line is that we (or at least I) always walk happy.
Last night was no exception.
Loved the screen and what showed on it.
The main stage could have been halved. Or they could have used it much more. Apart a couple of walks to the edges, the band stayed together and delivered.
Loved when they walked back towards that famous orange screen for the WTS intro, stopped, and boum!
ASOH came as such an unexpected punch, it made my show already.
Yes I would have loved for Bad to be in there, for sure they'll bring it in at some point, ideally in Amsterdam and Bruxelles where I'll be.
I was just pleased to see the guys back on stage and I can't wait to repeat the treat in July.

Good show, but...

The show was good. They are arguably one of the greatest rock bands in history and "The Joshua Tree" is unarguably one of the greatest rock albums ever released. All they have to do is come out and play it and it is going to be a good show. And they did that, so it was a good show.

But that said, it was an extremely conservative show. The songs they did other than the JT songs were standard choices altho they did end with a new song. They did only one snippet and I must admit I didn't even notice it at the time. It was even conservative in that they rarely strayed physically from their assigned spots. They have a long walkway on each side and simply didn't use it. There were no long (or short) winded stories about the album or any of the songs. The only attempt made to get the crowd to sing along fell amazingly flat. There was no one brought on stage from the crowd. All of these things have been staples of their show for their entire career. I've seen them many times and that is the only point of view I can speak from.

Hopefully things will loosen up, because those things are the reason I go to U2 shows at this point. I feel badly for all the people who saw them for the first time or may never see them again. The show was good, but U2 did not get to be U2 by being good.

I'm fine with not bringing people up, but agreed that there was a lot that felt conservative, and weird that they didn't interact that often. Hopefully just first-jitters.

I'm fine with not bringing people up, but agreed that there was a lot that felt conservative, and weird that they didn't interact that often. Hopefully just first-jitters.

As a person who has had multiple stage appearances....lolol.... I was also fine with that too. This tour doesn't seem like the time or the place.

I'm gonna put my 2cents in. This is totally my opinion. And I'm fine if you agree to disagree. It's been a while since I've been on Interference, but I figured this is the best place to discuss some stuff.

I know that the show in Seattle ended up being off the hook... so I'm happy with that.

For this show, I figured since I was travelling great distances, I decided to buy RED ZONE tickets because I really didn't have the energy to line up for GA. I actually told myself that I wasn't gonna dress up for this tour. It was time to retire the Mirror Ball Man lest someone would think that I was trying to make it onstage again. After discussion with some friends and my wife, I decided that I couldn't do silver again, and decided to just have some fun with it and go gold. I've seen 42 U2 shows and been physically a part of 4 of them. I decided I'd put my headspace in the "dress up and have fun with fans". Be a goof.... and have some laughs. All dreams have been achieved so why not continue the fun. So this time round I made a gold mirror ball hat.... and went from there. (props to people who compared me to Goldfinger the wrestler, Goldmember from Austin Powers, and C3-P0 from Star Wars.) I love meeting people...and people were here from all over the world. U2 fans travel well!

Got in early with Red Zone so when you face the stage, I'm to the left of the tree stage.

On to the show.

This was the first U2 show I've ever been to where it seemed the boys were "working". Almost like going through the motions. They were working hard. There were few smiles... few audience interactions.... and very few dialogue. The band starts on the little stage and then makes their way to larger stage for JT.

A lot of songs were amazing... and with the 8K screen, it was completely breathtaking at times. The screen seemed to engulf the performance of the boys. I'm not sure if that was a bad thing, but it seemed like the art direction here was for the boys to physically play down their involvement in each song? Does that make sense? Like Popmart had a big screen, and Bono played it up with the screen. Here the screen was EVERYTHING. Even bigger that Bono's onstage ego.

Without spoiling too much, the themes that were punched out sort of hit me over the head. Aboriginals, America, Trump, Women's Rights.....Childless Mother's. All of these themes are important and integral, but at times, I felt there was no reprieve from each message being hit again and again. Anton Corbjin is amazing... and the work is jaw dropping... but apart from Streets, there were no laughs... no opportunity for the audience to feel good... just a somber progression from one song to next.

I was witnessing something great... but it was soooo heavy.

By the time they did Beautiful Day and Elevation (those can come out of the rotation any time) to lighten the mood, it was too late.

Which reminds me. This is all foreshadowed by some of the most dismal poems be shared ahead of time on the JT screen prior to the show.

And the boys...or at least Bono didn't seem "into it". No smiles. Just smiles when they hit bum notes, or made a mistake or goofed up lyrics. Almost like they were under rehearsed.

My biggest pet peeve was RHMT. Bono bailed on high parts... and the brass. I didn't mind it so much on the Record Store Day version... but now they have a BRASS BAND as part of the visual. RHMT.. perhaps the most anticipated song fans want to hear, and they changed it dramatically.

Exit = New Bullet. - This was done to so much perfection... with Bono going into character...I couldn't get enough of it.

I personally loved the new theme of Ultraviolet. The women on screen made me feel proud.

But for most of the show, I was really miffed. I feel like they played to the whole right side of the stage.

So I left the show thinking I witnessed something incredible and yet something was sooo off.

At one point Bono asks for the crowd's approval. When have you ever heard Bono do that?

Then I found out about the ticket entry fiasco and the late start. EEEK!

I needed new experiences and so after all these years, I've never done a tour opener. I was told to have cautious optimism because U2 have had a history of horrific tour openers. So I was ready for it. They seemed ill rehearsed, pissed off.... and the big one for me... it looked like they weren't having fun.

....I heard Seattle was off the hook. I'm not surprised. These boys always know how to turn things around.

In the past, I've always left a U2 show wanting to see the next one... which normally meant 6 to 10 shows in various cities. I left this one thinking... hmmm.. so maybe the one more show in Toronto is good enough? I never had that feeling before.

I bet this show will evolve into something even better as we continue...

And trust me.... as a lover of the band.... like all of you were... it pained me to feel this sort of confliction after a U2 show.

The show was better than I expected. I enjoyed this one more than the past two tours. I&E erred, in my opinion, by having the stage as effectively a wall splitting the crowd in half. This show felt more intimate and a sense of oneness, which is ironic since it's a stadium vs the arena.

A large part of why I loved the show, I think, is the material. The album concept I enjoy more than just the hits. I think this is a show for real U2 fans, so to speak. Many in the crowd did a beer and bathroom break on the b side of jt. I loved hearing bono playing harmonica and the old beauties like one tree hill and in God's country. First time ever playing rhmt live? Are you kidding me? Historic! Bono even threw on the hat and shone the spotlight on the edge, r&h style.. So cool!

The band sounded great, the crowd was the best I've experienced since the 90s ( admittedly, I skipped elevation tour... They were too overplayed then, I didn't love the album, and I was too cool and too poor to bother)

Speaking of elevation... My only critique of this awesome show is that blasted tune... Why not play vertigo instead? Better tune imo and would accomplish the same thing in that spot and then some. Maybe also play the new song 2nd last or earlier and end with One. But that's getting pretty picky. They're the legendary band, not me. Just a humble fan who is still buzzing from the experience of going to a show seeing a band you love, doing what they do. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
This was the first U2 show I've ever been to where it seemed the boys were "working". Almost like going through the motions. They were working hard. There were few smiles... few audience interactions.... and very few dialogue.

Without spoiling too much, the themes that were punched out sort of hit me over the head. Aboriginals, America, Trump, Women's Rights.....Childless Mother's. All of these themes are important and integral, but at times, I felt there was no reprieve from each message being hit again and again. Anton Corbjin is amazing... and the work is jaw dropping... but apart from Streets, there were no laughs... no opportunity for the audience to feel good... just a somber progression from one song to next.

By the time they did Beautiful Day and Elevation (those can come out of the rotation any time) to lighten the mood, it was too late.

Which reminds me. This is all foreshadowed by some of the most dismal poems be shared ahead of time on the JT screen prior to the show.

And the boys...or at least Bono didn't seem "into it". No smiles. Just smiles when they hit bum notes, or made a mistake or goofed up lyrics. Almost like they were under rehearsed.

My biggest pet peeve was RHMT. Bono bailed on high parts... and the brass. I didn't mind it so much on the Record Store Day version... but now they have a BRASS BAND as part of the visual. RHMT.. perhaps the most anticipated song fans want to hear, and they changed it dramatically.

But for most of the show, I was really miffed. I feel like they played to the whole right side of the stage.

In the past, I've always left a U2 show wanting to see the next one... which normally meant 6 to 10 shows in various cities. I left this one thinking... hmmm.. so maybe the one more show in Toronto is good enough? I never had that feeling before.

And trust me.... as a lover of the band.... like all of you were... it pained me to feel this sort of confliction after a U2 show.

this is an amazing post, because I feel almost 100% the same way after having been GA at Seattle last night.

I have read a few posts about how great last night's show was in Seattle, but that was not my experience at all. It was a tiresome, almost tedious show at times - even with the amazing cinematography. Last night I felt continually as if this may be the last time I choose to see them live.

I had misgivings going to the show in the first place. Bought my GAs in a last minute drop for $70. Glad I did not pay big bucks or waste my time in line.

As I was walking out, I heard a few conversations about the politics. And that is unusual in a town that is usually pretty receptive to whatever line Bono is selling. Last night seemed different, as I suspected it would.

I hope they turn it around.

As a person who has had multiple stage appearances....lolol.... I was also fine with that too. This tour doesn't seem like the time or the place.

I'm gonna put my 2cents in. This is totally my opinion. And I'm fine if you agree to disagree. It's been a while since I've been on Interference, but I figured this is the best place to discuss some stuff.

I know that the show in Seattle ended up being off the hook... so I'm happy with that.

For this show, I figured since I was travelling great distances, I decided to buy RED ZONE tickets because I really didn't have the energy to line up for GA. I actually told myself that I wasn't gonna dress up for this tour. It was time to retire the Mirror Ball Man lest someone would think that I was trying to make it onstage again. After discussion with some friends and my wife, I decided that I couldn't do silver again, and decided to just have some fun with it and go gold. I've seen 42 U2 shows and been physically a part of 4 of them. I decided I'd put my headspace in the "dress up and have fun with fans". Be a goof.... and have some laughs. All dreams have been achieved so why not continue the fun. So this time round I made a gold mirror ball hat.... and went from there. (props to people who compared me to Goldfinger the wrestler, Goldmember from Austin Powers, and C3-P0 from Star Wars.) I love meeting people...and people were here from all over the world. U2 fans travel well!

Got in early with Red Zone so when you face the stage, I'm to the left of the tree stage.

On to the show.

This was the first U2 show I've ever been to where it seemed the boys were "working". Almost like going through the motions. They were working hard. There were few smiles... few audience interactions.... and very few dialogue. The band starts on the little stage and then makes their way to larger stage for JT.

A lot of songs were amazing... and with the 8K screen, it was completely breathtaking at times. The screen seemed to engulf the performance of the boys. I'm not sure if that was a bad thing, but it seemed like the art direction here was for the boys to physically play down their involvement in each song? Does that make sense? Like Popmart had a big screen, and Bono played it up with the screen. Here the screen was EVERYTHING. Even bigger that Bono's onstage ego.

Exit = New Bullet. - This was done to so much perfection... with Bono going into character...I couldn't get enough of it.

I personally loved the new theme of Ultraviolet. The women on screen made me feel proud.

So I left the show thinking I witnessed something incredible and yet something was sooo off.

At one point Bono asks for the crowd's approval. When have you ever heard Bono do that?

I needed new experiences and so after all these years, I've never done a tour opener. I was told to have cautious optimism because U2 have had a history of horrific tour openers. So I was ready for it. They seemed ill rehearsed, pissed off.... and the big one for me... it looked like they weren't having fun.

....I heard Seattle was off the hook. I'm not surprised. These boys always know how to turn things around.

Thanks for the post U2BROTHR. There was something about the show that I couldn't put my finger on and it wasn't until you mentioned that it was all too serious/heavy that the light bulb went off. The show was enjoyable but not euphoric. I had put it down to first show jitters and hopefully it will change as the tour progresses but the only other first show that I've been to was I&E in Vancouver and they seemed much more comfortable and engaging at that show. So many songs that I hadn't seen in such a long time (or at all), it was amazing to experience but just a little off kilter. Thanks for cruising around the lines to say hi (again), we both loved seeing youIMG_3273.JPG

On to the show.

Mark I have to totally agree with almost everything you said, right down to now I'm currently debating whether I truly even want to deal with the Rose Bowl for a sold out Saturday night show (I already have tickets for LA2, and I'm thinking that will be enough) However, prior tours have always made me want to go to as many shows as possible.

I was at the tour opener 2 years ago in Vancouver and felt that show was a really good opener - this one to me felt like the band was really "working" - very little interaction with the crowd was really the biggest disappointment for me, and I felt like Bono was hesitant and unsure.

I was in the front row on Adam's side of the stage, in the section closest to the stage, so needless to say I didn't see much of the band at all, and without being able to see the full video screen I believe I missed out - by the way, I generally sit in seats like this and have never felt this way about a U2 show before. I felt like the crowd was into the show, but again, I was in the front row so really only could see GA and the crowd when lit up. I thought it was decent crowd,

For what its worth, even though I loved it because hello, its U2, and I got to hear so many great songs I've been waiting to hear, I think it was the weakest show I've seen overall (and I like so many of you I have way too many shows to compare it to, going back to the original JT tour in LA), because to me the band seemed tense, but my husband, who is a very casual fan, loved the show and thought it was great. So maybe the casual fan will be very happy with this tour? Bono's voice sounded great to me.

Because I've been working closely with Syrian refugees, and have adopted a Syrian refugee family here in San Diego that were in Zataari refugee camp for 3 years, MS brought me to some serious tears. I wasn't expecting it at all, but it was very moving. I have no idea what others reactions were - but I personally loved it, as I also loved UV and its imagery. Actually the more I'm remembering about the show the more I'm reminded how good it really is! LOL

I do think this tour will get better as time goes on, if only for the fact that the band will have to loosen up and enjoy themselves more. Still debating whether to see both shows this weekend. If it wasn't the RB it would be a no brainer and I would go to both. But damn I hate the RB! Only U2 (ok, and Beyonce/JayZ lol) could get me to see a show there.

I sent an email off to BC Place about my GA line experience. I had a voice mail personal apology waiting for me when I got home from work same day. I don't know what will become of all of this in the end, but I tried my best to detail what I thought went wrong. I would suggest that if you were late getting into the venue that you send them an email sooner rather than later. Clearly, I was lucky enough to get to see the last two M&S songs. Many didn't get to see them at all.
It was great to see U2 again. What sucked was the 30 or so minutes of hell before the show when my family had to endure being pushed from all directions as we tried to move 50 feet or so from the stairs outside to the fence entrance at Gate C (in order to make our way to Gate E). One can't help but being worried that injury and/or separation was about to happen at that point. You'd think 6pm was early enough to arrive to enter at 7ish. We made it in close to 8:30pm.

Yeah, there were a few minutes when NSW and I were crammed into a crowd very close to the entrance and I thought "This can't be safe."

I was talking to a coworker who works out of the Vancouver office, and she said on the news clips about the fiasco, some locals were saying "well, sure the notices said 'go early,' but they should know better - Vancouverites don't show up early to anything!"

LOL yeah, dude. That's not how concerts work.

I sent a letter to bc place and ticketmaster and I hope many people do! The more that do, the better our chances of being reimbursed. I'll post my full experience later! It's good to vent haha!!

Actually the more I'm remembering about the show the more I'm reminded how good it really is! LOL
Ha! No kidding. I felt so let down at the end of the night after the lineup chaos and lackluster performance. But the more I watch the videos on YouTube, I realize it was a damn good show (encore aaide). I'm enjoying the videos more than the actual show and I think that's what really upsets me the most. :(

So here’s my review for what it’s worth. (haven't been on here in years and lost my old account!) Totally agree with U2brothr on the bands energy etc. But I think that the lineup fiasco took a toll on the band AND the crowd, which feed off each other! The band was clearly sweating backstage. My guess is they gave the venue an ultimatum. “Get them in, now!” They must have been completely out of sorts by the time they hit the stage. I know I was.

Overall it ruined the entire experience for me, this being the worst of the 5 shows I’ve seen of them. For starters it was to be my very first U2 GA experience and it couldn’t have been worse. Got there at 6pm but didn’t actually get in until 9pm with just enough time to run for a bathroom and find a spot on the floor. There was none of that GA feeling of one-ness with the other fans. We didn’t have that 30 minutes between the opener and U2 to get us revved up.

All that being said, the show did start off fantastic, aside from the fact that from my point on the floor I couldn’t see a damn thing on the b-stage. ASOH was far and away my favourite moment of the show. LOVE the new accompaniment. I loved RHMT too. Bono was giving it his all. It’s an incredibly high song to sing and he was really leaning into those notes. He was doing the clenched hand thing…. Lol

The encore was absolutely awful imo. It felt like they just threw a bunch of songs together and gave Bono some room for his political stuff. Beautiful Day and Elevation….ok I get it. Good crowd pleasers, but Ultraviolet was just done on the 360 tour, and that time it was WAY better. MS had a riveting video, but the song did't go over well. Plus it totally sapped any energy we had. Ending with a new song was a horrible idea. After that, as others have mentioned, the band sort of just left the stage. Every other show I’ve seen Bono ALWAYS says “thanks for giving us a good life” (U2brother, you can verify if they really do say it EVERY time.) but even that was missing. I left the venue wondering if I’d really seen a U2 show. It felt so incomplete.

My friend later gave a good reason for the new song. The show was a complete nostalgia trip, until the end when it all circled back the present. I see that now and it makes sense, but emotionally it just didn’t work.

Overall though, I left the show feeling so let down with no euphoria or the urge to see them immediately again. Of course now that I’m watching the footage on youtube I’m dying to see them again. Really gutted overall. You said it perfectly U2brother "as a lover of the band.... like all of you were... it pained me to feel this sort of confliction after a U2 show." I would have loved to meet you btw. Had no clue you were there! :)

Some fun tidbits…. Waiting in line was more memorable than the show itself. As Mumford and Son sang “I will wait I will wait for you” and “I really fucked it up this time” we all had a good laugh. Also, I thought it was hilarious how the crowd would give a gasp/cheer of surprise every time U2 started the next song on the JT, as if we didn’t know what was coming next. Lol

Last edited:
Got a call from bc place and it sounds like they are working with ticketmaster and might issue refunds. Not sure if this is for all ticket purchasers or the ones who complained but it's worth a shot emailing them if you haven't already.

I had this second call. It seems that some form of compensation is being decided on shortly. They asked where I purchased my tickets from.

An email was sent on Friday from TM in regards to a "U2 Vancouver recovery package." TM gift cards are coming express in the mail!

Seems they waited until after Metallica played the venue to see if changes made would work. Look like it did. Sweet!

An email was sent on Friday from TM in regards to a "U2 Vancouver recovery package." TM gift cards are coming express in the mail!

Seems they waited until after Metallica played the venue to see if changes made would work. Look like it did. Sweet!

I actually got mine a few weeks ago. I heard they didn't use CC scanners for Metallica. They must be too scared to try again. Funny they never did admit it was their fault even though other venues have use cc entry with little issue. At least I got $50 back.

I actually got mine a few weeks ago. I heard they didn't use CC scanners for Metallica. They must be too scared to try again. Funny they never did admit it was their fault even though other venues have use cc entry with little issue. At least I got $50 back.

Was your $50 from a single gift card?

Yes. I only had one ticket. So if you have multiple tickets I don't know if they'll give you multiple cards worth 50 each, or the full price all in one card.

Back
Top Bottom