This is NOT what we wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tpsreports2442

The Fly
Starting this tour's shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday, tuned farther down to compensate bono's voice- may I add, is the laziest idea they've ever pursued.

IT'S THE JT TOUR! Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited, and move those songs to the middle of the JT album set so they don't bore non-hardcores with Exit and Trip.

This might possibly be the most uncreative thing the guys have ever done on tour.

There, I said it. :crack:

And yes I'll still be attending

Starting this tour's shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday, tuned farther down to compensate bono's voice- may I add, is the laziest idea they've ever pursued.

IT'S THE JT TOUR! Start the show with Where the Streets Have No Name with the guys rising above the stage (zoo tv style). It's a stadium show; it's logical, gets the crowd excited, and move those songs to the middle of the JT album set so they don't bore non-hardcores with Exit and Trip.

This might possibly be the most uncreative thing the guys have ever done on tour.

There, I said it. :crack:

And yes I'll still be attending

I'm afraid you're right....

I really thought, listening to the rehearsals, that this was running order was absolutely not what the real setlist-order would be. Seems like they're deliberately are looking for the most sterile non-tension-building openings, the last 3 tours...

Only thing now I can think of for the next tour is the guys walking on stage, in full light, during My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion, Bono underway eating a bag of chips, Edge cycling on a bike to the B-stage, then the boys pick up their samba-balls, banjo and trumpet and opening the SOE-tour, or ZOO-TV tribute tour with a japanese karaoke-version of Vertigo.:doh::huh:

Rising from under the stage is cheesy as hell and only worked in Zoo TV context.

I really was expecting some rendition of what they did for Outside Broadcast because Edge blamed the presidency for the lateness of their album in a Rolling Stone article. Yet, they took the safe way out- kind of surprising for a band who's survived really on standing up for what they believe in.

So you don't like the idea? Hit the crowd with BTBS, RTSS then Streets. Kill two birds with one stone, especially considering the whole idea of the tour.

Far more prolific idea than opening their show with rendered version of a song about people dying. :down:

Last edited:
You have to keep in mind, some of these shows will still be daylight when they start, starting with Streets would be a terrible idea.

I know most are glad IWF is taking a break, but I thought it would have been a good opener for this type of show.

You have to keep in mind, some of these shows will still be daylight when they start, starting with Streets would be a terrible idea.

I know most are glad IWF is taking a break, but I thought it would have been a good opener for this type of show.

'87, they started with Streets at night and IWF in day shows Popmart also had many day shows with a less quality screen.

My point is this: If Bono is going to stand around and hang on his mic a lot more, it's extremely necessary for a band to come out hot. It's fair to state that U2 and The Stones are the top grossing stadium touring acts of our time. I don't expect Bono to be Jagger, but I expect the music EXPERIENCE to be as great- hence why they never start their concerts with a song like Gimme Shelter.

Again- whose idea was it to start their concert off about people dying??

'87, they started with Streets at night and IWF in day shows Popmart also had many day shows with a less quality screen.

My point is this: If Bono is going to stand around and hang on his mic a lot more, it's extremely necessary for a band to come out hot. It's fair to state that U2 and The Stones are the top grossing stadium touring acts of our time. I don't expect Bono to be Jagger, but I expect the music EXPERIENCE to be as great- hence why they never start their concerts with a song like Gimme Shelter.

Again- whose idea was it to start their concert off about people dying??

Did Bono "hang on his mic" more than usual on opening night?

It's exactly what I wanted: a setlist of great songs played well, a ton of live rarities, and a good new song.

But yeah, fuck starting with a song about people dying. Play I Will Follow. No death in that one.

It's exactly what I wanted: a setlist of great songs played well, a ton of live rarities, and a good new song.

But yeah, fuck starting with a song about people dying. Play I Will Follow. No death in that one.

Never said I disliked the setlist; it's what us hardcore fans have been asking for years. Songs just need to be shifted.

Everyone's a comedian :cute:

BVS, you'd know more than anyone how many threads have been written over the years begging to drop SBS. Karma at its best.

What?!

I literally don't understand a single part of this. I was asking a serious question, and no I don't understand how that's karma.

I have no problem with SBS opening. It sends the crowd nuts. It's one of the band's most popular live songs, even as performances of it have been weaker than its eighties best (though Elevation was its nadir and it has improved since then). Those opening drums get people up and moving straight away.

Streets on the JT Tour opened shows that were indoors or where the sun set early enough for the red intro to be effective. When it was still too light, Streets was either moved much later or dropped entirely (it was played at only just over half the European shows). I Will Follow did not open a single concert on that tour.

It's no accident that on the Vertigo Tour, COBL moved later in the setlist on the European leg. For songs performed while it was still light they did not use the screen or only used it lightly. The screen and accompanying effects only kicked in for COBL in the middle of the main set. (This didn't quite work in Norway, but it was effective in most other countries.)

I won't be surprised if they tweak the set in Europe to have a slightly longer opening sequence and a shorter encore, so that Streets can be played more like seventh or eighth.

Having only seen U2 twice before Friday night, I thought opening with Sunday was awesome. Obviously the subject matter is not the most uplifting, but it's a great song and I thought there was a good amount of energy. I loved the whole show, although I did notice the crowd did seem to be a bit subdued. I'm not sure if that's the bands fault or what, but to be honest I find most Canadian concerts outside of Montreal to be rather dull; I guess we are a bit too polite? :D

I actually liked how they ended on a new song. Yes it was a bit different, but I thought it was a really good song. The final part of the show did drag a bit though, especially MS. But that's a minor complaint for me.

Obviously I'm a more casual fan, and I can appreciate the more hardcore fans may be looking for something different, but I'm a bigger fan of them after that show than before.

What?!

I literally don't understand a single part of this. I was asking a serious question, and no I don't understand how that's karma.

Took it as sarcasm. To answer seriously, yes. If the audience doesn't immediately get into it, then it sets a low precedence of energy for the rest of the night for both the fans and band- and that's what it seemed like from the various amounts of footage I've seen.

Karma as in the fact that there's been a ton of scrutiny by fans for the band overplaying SBS, yet thats how they're now opening their shows.

Took it as sarcasm. To answer seriously, yes. If the audience doesn't immediately get into it, then it sets a low precedence of energy for the rest of the night for both the fans and band- and that's what it seemed like from the various amounts of footage I've seen.

Karma as in the fact that there's been a ton of scrutiny by fans for the band overplaying SBS, yet thats how they're now opening their shows.

I guess you're watching different footage than I am, I haven't seen a low energy show, especially for an opening night.

Like axver said, SBS is a live favorite.

There's something fundamentally wrong with a concert's production when you have subdued fans in the beginning of any concert.

SBS is fucking leagues ahead of the damp squib that was Breathe opening 360.

I'm just glad I'm going to finally get to see NYD. I've been to four U2 shows across three tours and have missed it every time. The first time they skipped over it for Gloria though, which I consider a big net positive.

Last edited:
The Refugee belongs in the setlist. I Threw A Brick Through a Window would be a great rarity to switch in. There's a lot of thematic relevance in the songs they're NOT playing, especially in the encore.

I just wanted to say that the notion that anyone would be bored by Exit strikes me as crazy. It's one of the most incredible all out rock songs they've ever done.

I agree, I would have loved to see IWF open the shows

So what's the suggestion? You have to keep a pre-Joshua Tree track as the opener to fit the theme of the night (Pre JT > JT > Post JT)

Personal vote would be Out of Control.

So what's the suggestion? You have to keep a pre-Joshua Tree track as the opener to fit the theme of the night (Pre JT > JT > Post JT)

Personal vote would be Out of Control.

The Ocean/11 O'Clock or Out Of Control with the current set up

They fit the sets timeline and at least with OOC Adam could walk on and strum that bass intro for a while, would make a change from Bono or Larry:lol:

Clannad intro into The Ocean, a mixture of nods to the past

Overall I would like to see something a bit different, the gig intros have been pretty low key since Pop (COBL excepted, but that was few and far between outside of NA)

I want a bit of epicness in my intros so personally I would go for using that screen from the get go, a chronological picture montage set to Boomerang I and then from the main stage into Gloria/NYD/SBS/IWF. Any would work. Then go to B stage until JT segment.

Back
Top Bottom