Santa Clara Levi's Stadium May 17th Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not like I've seen the other ones or anything from them. But other than the With or Without You flub, everything seemed pretty well-oiled. Especially compared to other early tour shows I've seen in the Bay Area including Vertigo and I&E.

Red Hill Mining Town is the biggest fix needed. Just does not work...Miss Sarajevo is even less of a performance for the band now that the Pavarotti bit isn't sung by Bono.

As far as messing with Trump, I don't think Ultra Violet really does that. Exit does because a random film clip that talks about a hated Trump character building a wall is played right before it...also, Bono changed the Sunday Bloody Sunday line from "tv reality" to "reality tv" tonight and it's clearly an intentional jibe at The Apprentice.

But the political points are far more about bigger issues such as poverty and Syrian refugees and women's rights, that are a lot bigger than just some political figure like Trump. Bono even said tonight that change usually happens through movements instead (which is the truth).

Adam's timing was off since Bono basically halted things to talk to and glare at Adam in a joking manner while Adam just kind of brushed it off and smiled as they all kept playing. Bono then pointed the mic at the crowd to try and get them to do the next part which was interesting...by the time the crowd joined in and got the idea, they weren't really meshing with the music either but it's still eerie to hear thousands of people timing together the next verse of With or Without You in unison.

I mean, it was something to be around thousands of people who literally know every single inflection of Bono's Joshua Tree vocals by heart. Of course, many of them can't hold a note to save their lives...Running To Stand Still was particularly dreadful in that aspect as it is quieter (the band were great though and I love that arrangement).

Adam's timing was off since Bono basically halted things to talk to and glare at Adam in a joking manner while Adam just kind of brushed it off and smiled as they all kept playing. Bono then pointed the mic at the crowd to try and get them to do the next part which was interesting...by the time the crowd joined in and got the idea, they weren't really meshing with the music either but it's still eerie to hear thousands of people timing together the next verse of With or Without You in unison.

I mean, it was something to be around thousands of people who literally know every single inflection of Bono's Joshua Tree vocals by heart. Of course, many of them can't hold a note to save their lives...Running To Stand Still was particularly dreadful in that aspect as it is quieter (the band were great though and I love that arrangement).

You would think RTSS would be easy to sing but its actually quite tricky imo - the album version anyway.

No, I think IWF was a Seattle special. I doubt it will be a regular.
(Though with 2 shows in LA, Chicago, etc, one would hope that they'd throw a few changes like that in there.)

LOL at "eeny meeny miney moe" being a snippet. Can a nursery rhyme (with racist beginnings, "fun" fact) be a snippet? Ha ha ha

LOL at "eeny meeny miney moe" being a snippet. Can a nursery rhyme (with racist beginnings, "fun" fact) be a snippet? Ha ha ha

We've had Hokey Pokey and Humpty Dumpty on U2gigs for years!

And actually the earliest versions of the rhyme on record are just nonsense words. The racist version—which I learnt as a kid in rural New Zealand without the faintest clue what that n-word meant—came later.

Hey, I learned something new today! :)

I would love to be at a shoe where Bono went on a Humpty Dumpty riff. :rock:

We've had Hokey Pokey and Humpty Dumpty on U2gigs for years!

And actually the earliest versions of the rhyme on record are just nonsense words. The racist version—which I learnt as a kid in rural New Zealand without the faintest clue what that n-word meant—came later.

Bono's new persona should be Negan

Funny enough, I was at tonight's show having not spoiled myself on the actual production or setlists. Sat near the front and got a great view of my favorite album played in full...but yeah, I was totally expecting them to end the night with "I Will Follow" since it would just make a lot of sense, and again, I hadn't seen setlist spoilers. Maybe they'll bring it back.

Wasn't IWF a mother's day thing?

BUT THEY ALREADY HAVE A SONG DEDICATED WITH PICTURES TO ALL THE MOTHERS AND DAUGHTERS OF THE WORLD AND IT IS AXVER'S FAVORITE U2 SONG EVER!!!!!

I was thinking that the Eenie Meenie Minie Moe thing could also be related to the part after which kids usually add..."My mother told me to choose the very best one and you are not it"...would be fitting.

I'm surprised people don't like the version of RHMT. Of course it wasn't going to be an album level performance. I like this a lot. Subdued. It sounds like the end of a movie.

And I was a hater, but now that I've seen it, JT deserves to be played backwards.

Having been at the first two shows, my assumption is that I Will Follow was Bono's reaction to "Wow, this crowd has been great, especially after Vancouver, let's give 'em a little more."

I don't love or dislike the new version of RHMT, but I will say Bono's voice sounds great in the chorus. His 'improved' style of singing (i.e., compared to his tight-throated singing in the 80s that caused him so much trouble) and the lower key really fit his current voice well.

I'm surprised people don't like the version of RHMT. Of course it wasn't going to be an album level performance. I like this a lot. Subdued. It sounds like the end of a movie.

And I was a hater, but now that I've seen it, JT deserves to be played backwards.

I haven't been to a show yet. I'll see three or four when it comes to the east coast, so I've only seen clips on YouTube thus far.

From the "haven't been to a show/annoying internet commentator" perspective over here, it seems like they don't really know how to end the show. With or Without You has seemingly always been toward the end of the show. Streets has been in the second half. Now those are some of the first songs played.

I think they need to redo the third act a bit.

My hot take after seeing two shows and hearing a comment or two from friends at last night's show, it almost feels like they are uncomfortable playing the album in order.

Maybe they're still getting into their groove, but knowing how they feel about having the right "flow" of a show (no matter how much we might disagree with their preferred flow in certain parts of the setlists), I wonder if they feel weird about the concept.

Will be curious to see if they change the order (I don't think they will) or just loosen up a bit as the tour progresses.

My hot take after seeing two shows and hearing a comment or two from friends at last night's show, it almost feels like they are uncomfortable playing the album in order.

Maybe they're still getting into their groove, but knowing how they feel about having the right "flow" of a show (no matter how much we might disagree with their preferred flow in certain parts of the setlists), I wonder if they feel weird about the concept.

Will be curious to see if they change the order (I don't think they will) or just loosen up a bit as the tour progresses.

I think it feels uncomfortable for any band to play their entire album in order live. I bet after Pride its kind of like playing the next song for 45-50 minutes.

I bet they'll get more comfortable as the tour goes on. This is a first for U2

I could see that. There's minimal interaction between Bono and the crowd too - no break to chat (I Will Follow into Iris), talking about going down Cedarwood Road, no Meerkat, no yukking it up with the crowd at all. That probably is a little weird for them.

I could see that. There's minimal interaction between Bono and the crowd too - no break to chat (I Will Follow into Iris), talking about going down Cedarwood Road, no Meerkat, no yukking it up with the crowd at all. That probably is a little weird for them.

Sounds like Zoo TV.

Okay, I'm totally biased, of course, but :heart: that the played the album in it's right order.

When the concert started I thought we had a good crowd as everybody was singing along and all, but as it turned out later, many never listened to the b-side of their cassette. All around me we're so quiet and the applause after each song got weaker and weaker to almost none. Also the end applause was dull (from how I heard it - we knew they'd be back, but still), and then the 2 slow last songs didn't work either to leave the stadium revived.

Loved the arrangement of RTSS, RHMT was pretty good too, and Exit was like the Bullet from I.E.: on fire!

Now know what's wrong with the little things too: it catchy in 2 different ways, as 2 parts of the song keep popping up in my head, but when the band speeds up, bono keeps his singing the same, and that doesn't really work (and made me realize that in more post 2000s songs band and bono don't work/play together, as they did in their 80s and 90s music. Don't know if it makes sense, but this is how it feels to me).

I loved every bit of the concert, but more causal or non fans were probably less happy.

Sounds like Zoo TV.

Yeah, but on Zoo TV he got to play with the TV station before Even Better Than The Real Thing, and got to yuk it up a bit with Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World. Still though, you're not wrong.

It's also been quite awhile since Zoo TV.

I've been reading a lot of the reviews and other people's experience. Some people had the same feel as I did, and some completely different. I'm not sure if it's individual perspective or simply sitting/standing in the different area gives a different feel.

I was on the floor maybe 15-20 people back from LMJ side of the tree.

I can say I've been to 28 shows starting from POPMART (all but 2 or 3 shows on the floor) and there were quite a few points of the show where I felt touched or even surpassed previous bests.

I've been to emotional shows like the post 9-11 Elevation run. Nothing can beat the emotion of that first show- Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, and everything after. The entire crowd and band were truly one.

The 2011 MetLife show was by far the funnest atmosphere and best setlist as Achtung is my favorite album and we got some Zooropa and HMTMKMKM. Also helped that we got in the circle. And they played the hell out of the songs.

This show last night may be the third one that sticks of for me, but for a different reason. First Bono's voice is the absolute strongest I've heard in person. Second- the band, especially The Edge- melted our fucking faces off during Bullet and Exit and even the Elevation solo. Those were worth the price of admission alone. Third- there was very little laziness in the playing or singing. Many times Bono will take a vocal or lyric shortcut or they'll play a few songs half assed because of laziness/boredom or they're not confident in the arrangement.

If you're on the fence whether to go or not? Go. Don't judge based on the YouTube clips. I was underwhelmed this morning seeing the same stuff that blew me away last night. It just doesn't translate that well through those videos.

This show displayed a level of raw power that I hadn't seen from them before.

I used to love RHMT then got bored of it for years. It was really enjoyable last night. Same with Trip Through Your Wires.

The only things that weren't great were that synth in ASOH which is awful, and the closing stretch of the show. Sarajevo sucked the life out. The new song sounds good but not a closer by any stretch. The show ends strangely because nobody knows it so it gets some polite clapping, and then they say ok goodnight and walk off.

I've been reading a lot of the reviews and other people's experience. Some people had the same feel as I did, and some completely different. I'm not sure if it's individual perspective or simply sitting/standing in the different area gives a different feel.

I can say I've been to 28 shows starting from POPMART (all but 2 or 3 shows on the floor) and there were quite a few points of the show where I felt touched or even surpassed previous bests.

I've been to emotional shows like the post 9-11 Elevation run. Nothing can beat the emotion of that first show- Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, and everything after. The entire crowd and band were truly one.

The 2011 MetLife show was by far the funnest atmosphere and best setlist as Achtung is my favorite album and we got some Zooropa and HMTMKMKM. Also helped that we got in the circle. And they played the hell out of the songs.

This show last night may be the third one that sticks of for me, but for a different reason. First Bono's voice is the absolute strongest I've heard in person. Second- the band, especially The Edge- melted our fucking faces off during Bullet and Exit and even the Elevation solo. Those were worth the price of admission alone. Third- there was very little laziness in the playing or singing. Many times Bono will take a vocal or lyric shortcut or they'll play a few songs half assed because of laziness/boredom or they're not confident in the arrangement.

If you're on the fence whether to go or not? Go. Don't judge based on the YouTube clips. I was underwhelmed this morning seeing the same stuff that blew me away last night. It just doesn't translate that well through those videos.

I used to love RHMT then got bored of it for years. It was really enjoyable last night. Same with Trip Through Your Wires.

The only things that weren't great were that synth in ASOH which is awful, and the closing stretch of the show. Sarajevo sucked the life out. The new song sounds good but not a closer by any stretch. The show ends strangely because nobody knows it so it gets some polite clapping, and then they say ok goodnight and walk off.

You really got me fired up for next week ( I see 2 shows)!!!

Sounds like U2 is treating the ending of the show on a sober note. In a way it is dark times and JT kind of represents those times (according to the band) so I guess it fits the theme of the tour.

I give U2 props for finishing w/ MS & then a new song. But as many have pointed out maybe they should drop MS.

I really think finishing with the new song (like a said before) is a nod to the future & U2 still taking on their journey even if the world is a little bleak.

And watching Youtube clips is not the same as going to a concert. All your senses come into play when your at an arena or stadium full of U2 fans & they hit the stage. This is the same for pretty much any rock band. Part of going to a U2 show (at least for the most of us) is the journey to the show. Driving/Flying around the world/country to see these guys. There is a huge reward at the end. U2 LIVE

Last edited:

Great writeup, can't wait to see them in LA! Agreed that the post-TJT section seems a bit weird, but then again the whole show is "weird" when an album gets played in sequence right in the middle. I've been to a few other "album" shows and they are just inherently different from a normal set. You pay to hear the album, the rarities, the sequencing, etc. and everything else is kind of thrown in as a "bonus".

Back
Top Bottom