God Part II (The forgotten song that needs a comeback this tour)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodysunday972

War Child
I was listening to one of the live shows from the 89 tour and I gotta admit I wish this would make a return during the Joshua Tree 2017 tour. Its one of those songs that because of the album its on its like the band forgot about it and they shouldn't!

It fits the mood of the tour along with the JT album and needs to make a return.

https://youtu.be/-WhzPRmvVcM

I was listening to one of the live shows from the 89 tour and I gotta admit I wish this would make a return during the Joshua Tree 2017 tour. Its one of those songs that because of the album its on its like the band forgot about it and they shouldn't!

It fits the mood of the tour along with the JT album and needs to make a return.

https://youtu.be/-WhzPRmvVcM

Love this song. I never understood why it didn't keep going in any live shows. I would much rather hear that than Desire or AOH.

Am I right in thinking it was considered for Zoo TV and dropped? Perhaps one of our bottomless pits of U2 trivia can back me up/correct me on that?

Either way it seems so unlikely it'll ever come back and unless they changed the pitch and gave Bono a fighting chance, I wouldn't be disappointed to be honest :huh: such a great song though, one of my favourites!

Some smarmy reviewer would be sure to reference the 'You glorify the past when the future dries up' lyric in the context of the whole tour.

Hawkmoon as well please.

God Part is inching its way toward my top ten favorite U2 songs of all-time.

It is pure weaponized U2. Larry's machine gun snare. Adam holds down the bass line for 50 seconds until Edge comes in with his beast of a riff. And then we have, Bono. My God, his voice is at his career zenith. The cutting verses keep building and then explode at the end. Unique song structure where all 4 members bring their A-Game.

Remember a fan asking them to play it live and paraphrasing Bono "Would love to, but I can't hit that last verse"

The RH version is restrained compared to Lovetown Sydney. Just may be their best live rock performance, with Bono amping up the power and Edge enhancing the guitar part towards the end.

EDIT: bloodysunday972 - just copied my post from a thread I started on GP2 4 months ago. Was kinda a dead time so the discussion never took off. Thus the repost of the video

Some smarmy reviewer would be sure to reference the 'You glorify the past when the future dries up' lyric in the context of the whole tour.

Hawkmoon as well please.

Agreed, Hawkmoon 269 from Lovetown is ine of U2's greatest live moments.
A proper full band version of All I Want is You would be a treat also.

Am I right in thinking it was considered for Zoo TV and dropped? Perhaps one of our bottomless pits of U2 trivia can back me up/correct me on that?

Yes, it was considered for the Outside Broadcast leg but, like Acrobat, never made it.

And I of course hope it makes a live return one day.

A proper full band version of All I Want is You would be a treat also.

That's right near the top of my list.

I'm still grumpy that it debuted on 360 only a few shows after the shows I saw.

That's right near the top of my list.

I'm still grumpy that it debuted on 360 only a few shows after the shows I saw.

I assume you attended the Melbourne shows, in which case your first problem is you saw a gig at which I was in attendance. AIWIY will always return to the setlist within five shows of my last gig on any given leg. I've still never heard it live.

God Part is inching its way toward my top ten favorite U2 songs of all-time.

It is pure weaponized U2. Larry's machine gun snare. Adam holds down the bass line for 50 seconds until Edge comes in with his beast of a riff. And then we have, Bono. My God, his voice is at his career zenith. The cutting verses keep building and then explode at the end. Unique song structure where all 4 members bring their A-Game.

Remember a fan asking them to play it live and paraphrasing Bono "Would love to, but I can't hit that last verse"

The RH version is restrained compared to Lovetown Sydney. Just may be their best live rock performance, with Bono amping up the power and Edge enhancing the guitar part towards the end.

EDIT: bloodysunday972 - just copied my post from a thread I started on GP2 4 months ago. Was kinda a dead time so the discussion never took off. Thus the repost of the video

Yeah, it's one of those special songs where the band is just hitting it hard on all cylinders. Cool to hear Edge's guitar here, where you get a little peak at the transition into Achtung Baby style.
Sooooo damn good.

Yes !!!! God part 2 would be awesome ! and All I want is You !!!
And song Bad is a must too !!!!
We''ll see when may 2017 shows begins what happens!

God Part II is the first hint of Achtung Baby. I don't even mean musically, though there is that a little bit. It's in the self-awareness. I suppose all that is true of Desire as well. So, both of them.

"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live."

God Part II is the first hint of Achtung Baby. I don't even mean musically, though there is that a little bit. It's in the self-awareness. I suppose all that is true of Desire as well. So, both of them.

"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live."

So true. What a time it was!!

How often was Dirty Day played live? Cause God DAMN that song destroys live. Would it fall into forgotten? I'm not the best at knowing what songs were included in what tours.

The last 10 shows on Zoo TV (Au/NZ/Japan). Not forgotten because it's on the DVD.

The only hint of a hint of a hint of anything since then was when the DVD version was mysteriously played over the PA during a soundcheck before a 360 show.

[TWEET]12750769774141440[/TWEET]

Last edited:
As a Canadian I love the line "singer on the radio late last night, said he's going to kick the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight", it is a Bruce Cockburn line.

I like the song" Lovers in a Dangerous Time". I also really like the Barenaked Ladies version they did on a Bruce Cockburn tribute album.

check them out. Hey the song inspired Bono on God Part II.

There's a bunch of R&H stuff waiting for it's US debut that would be very welcome on this tour.

God Pt. 2 might need some lyric updates....and fans might prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom