SPOILERS - Vancouver Rehearsals Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
We are well over 1000 in the old thread.

In the first 4 days, we have seen 21 songs rehearsed heavily - all being played on most days. This biggest takehomes so far are:

- the return of A Sort of Homecoming
- the arrangements for The Joshua Tree songs are all full band/proper and not watered down acoustic versions
- a new song, The Little Things That Give You Away has been rehearsed at least 4 times, and appears to be the closer.

They have been ending on Miss Sarajevo lately, but numerous reports have indicated the sound dropping, but continuing, or the sound cutting, but the lighting continuing. This could indicate that the band wish to keep the song as under wraps as possible before the tour starts.

The set itself is firming up, with only some small questions left to be answered:

- Will any songs before War show up?
- Will the new song slot in at the end, as expected?
- Will ASOH, SBS, or a song as yet unrehearsed open the set?
- Will they add to the 21 that have been rehearsed?

The set they are running through most is:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. New Years Day
3. A Sort of Homecoming
4. MLK
5. Pride

6-16 - The Joshua Tree

17. Beautiful Day
18. Ultraviolet
19. One
20. Miss Sarajevo
21. The Little Things That Give You Away

Great recap!

My guess to the questions you post:

- Will any songs before War show up? (Yes. I'd wager a rotator of I will follow, out of control or Gloria)

- Will the new song slot in at the end, as expected? (No. Makes more sense as the beggining of an encore.

- Will ASOH, SBS, or a song as yet unrehearsed open the set? (ASOH)

- Will they add to the 21 that have been rehearsed? (2 more. 1 pre war and 1 other we dont know)

My guesses:

- I Will Follow will show up eventually, maybe Out of Control too.
- Yeah, I think the new song will close. Some will disagree with me, but I think it makes more sense as a closer than Miss Sarajevo. Ideally, they'd stick "40" after The Little Things.
- I'd like ASOH to open, but it looks like their leaning SBS.
- one or two more. They've stuck pretty closely to these 21 so far so I'm not expecting them to do many more

Last edited:
NYD, A Sort of Homecoming, MLK, Ultraviolet, I'm in ecstatic. And the Oilers are killing Anaheim tonight. My only issue issue is we're flying out to Vancouver on Tuesday night for the concert so will miss game seven. Good times though

I fully expect them to play Desire and/or Angel of Harlem at some point. It doesn't really make sense to me to celebrate The Joshua Tree and not acknowledge Rattle & Hum, which was conceived whilst on tour in 1987 and is a continuation of their exploration of American roots music.

I'm not sure about them opening with SBS, usually they go for something more upbeat to start the night. ASOH would be better. But I'm thinking I Will Follow, Out of Control, or Gloria. Something not rehearsed yet. But we'll see on Friday!

I hope 21 songs isn't it. However, if one of them is ASOH, every wrong throughout the years will be immediately forgiven.

I wonder how prepared U2gigs mods are to include Bieber's "Baby" as a snippet, in UltraViolet.

The first night run through (not including the new song) ran 1 hr 41 minutes. I'm not hung up on the number of tracks but it does seem like they need to add at least 30 minutes to the show. Either they stretch out the songs or they add more songs or a combination of both. But 100 minute show would seem inappropriate for a special tour like this IMO.

Personally after hearing all this rehearsal, nothing would make me happier than if the last song they played was MOTD (after playing JT in order and no encore) and left the stage with the album picture on the screen. But it's obvious that isn't going to happen.

Toss in I Will Follow and Gloria and slap 40 to the end and you've got yourself a set... although I do think the chronological theme is a little silly, especially when beautiful day is opening the encore out of order. I actually think it's a little lazy and uinspired, which clearly means it was Larry's idea as he's not on board

Toss in I Will Follow and Gloria and slap 40 to the end and you've got yourself a set... although I do think the chronological theme is a little silly, especially when beautiful day is opening the encore out of order. I actually think it's a little lazy and uinspired, which clearly means it was Larry's idea as he's not on board

Agreed. I posted something about this in the setlist prediction thread, but I'm really not a fan of the chronological setlist idea. Makes the show more of a career retrospective relative to The Joshua Tree rather than a tour recognizing the album's continued relevance.

I think the song sequence they have now mostly works, but if the show is explicitly pointing out the chronological order, it'll make it worse.

I actually ride on false creek ferries occaisionally That guy has driven the boat I've been on a few times. Anyway seems like an off day for the band

IMG_3380.jpg

https://twitter.com/danidpvox/status/861442903931006976

Last edited:
The first night run through (not including the new song) ran 1 hr 41 minutes. I'm not hung up on the number of tracks but it does seem like they need to add at least 30 minutes to the show. Either they stretch out the songs or they add more songs or a combination of both. But 100 minute show would seem inappropriate for a special tour like this IMO.

No worries. Bono is just going to pull a Kanye and rant for about 45 minutes towards the end of the show. :up:

Fair enough. Logical to assume there will be a dress rehearsal Wednesday or Thursday, so that leaves the probability of normal rehearsals tomorrow and Tuesday or Wednesday as a day off

IMG_6695.JPG

I posted this in the stage design thread, but a new photo of the B stage came out

Some posters in The "spoilers" thread seem to forget that U2 skipped several early albums on a most of the 1992 dates they did.

When rehearsal set lists are known it's quite rare for them to pop with songs last minute. Stuff like OOC was sound checked repeatedly at the Vancouver 2015 rehearsals. Carefully thought out set lists is what U2 usually do better than any other touring act out there.

Having the last song like 2017's new song or Moment Surrender may be a way to give some people a 10 minute head start on traffic. Those that did multiple 360 shows know this is a god send. The opening/closing song of a set are the only parts of the show where you can basically play ANYTHING and you won't lose the crowd.

I find the "flow" of the setlist very interesting having heard it a couple times in person outside the venue. A fair amount of thought went into it, with some carefully EXCLUDED songs. I really like that they've entered the part of their career when they can focus on certain old eras during a show while letting other eras take a rest for a few years. Rush/Iron Maiden have done similarly interesting things with their set lists in recent memory, even if they remain somewhat static night to night.

Why are people trashing the 2015? Watched the Paris DVD for the first time in a year and it held up much better than I expected. Also watched Rose Bowl and was much more ho-hum looking back on that tour leg.....and I was at the Rose Bowl show.

Recent Midnight Oil setlist. That's how you do nostalgia.

Outside World
Only the Strong
Redneck Wonderland
Put Down That Weapon
Maralinga
Cold Cold Change
Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)
Back On the Borderline
Koala Sprint
No Reaction
Stand In Line
Profiteers
Is It Now?
Tin Legs and Tin Mines
When the Generals Talk
Common Ground
Luritja Way
The Dead Heart
Power and the Passion
Best Of Both Worlds
Shakers and Movers
Lucky Country
Beds Are Burning
Blue Sky Mine
Read About It

Encore 1
Wedding Cake Island
Forgotten Years
Dreamworld

Encore 2
US Forces

Recent Midnight Oil setlist. That's how you do nostalgia.

Outside World

Only the Strong

Redneck Wonderland

Put Down That Weapon

Maralinga

Cold Cold Change

Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)

Back On the Borderline

Koala Sprint

No Reaction

Stand In Line

Profiteers

Is It Now?

Tin Legs and Tin Mines

When the Generals Talk

Common Ground

Luritja Way

The Dead Heart

Power and the Passion

Best Of Both Worlds

Shakers and Movers

Lucky Country

Beds Are Burning

Blue Sky Mine

Read About It

Encore 1

Wedding Cake Island

Forgotten Years

Dreamworld

Encore 2

US Forces

I worked on Peter Garrett's personal staff in his office in Parliament House for two years... and I have no idea just how much of that set is obscure/nostalgia focussed.

Why is this a good example of nostalgia? Not being a dick, genuinely want to know what about this set is doing it right.

I worked on Peter Garrett's personal staff in his office in Parliament House for two years... and I have no idea just how much of that set is obscure/nostalgia focussed.

Why is this a good example of nostalgia? Not being a dick, genuinely want to know what about this set is doing it right.

Its more than 21 songs for a start!

And no new songs. As if anyone is there for that.

It'll be more of a downer than MOS if U2 end with a new song. A massive WTF moment actually.

If they do wish go go down this self indulgent role then the only sensible place to put a new song is at the very start of the encores.

Its more than 21 songs for a start!

And no new songs. As if anyone is there for that.

It'll be more of a downer than MOS if U2 end with a new song. A massive WTF moment actually.

If they do wish go go down this self indulgent role then the only sensible place to put a new song is at the very start of the encores.

I respectfully, whole-heartedly disagree. This song sounds like a natural closer, and if they have the confidence to go for it, it is the kind of bold move we used to love about them. It shows balls, confidence in the future, and if it is good, it is their best chance at convincing the oldies in the audience that there is something good to come.

Hell yeah. I'd take an unknown song as a closer for sure after a set of JT and ASOH. Hell they could fucking close with 10 minutes of fart noises and I'd still be walking out in tears.

Back
Top Bottom