So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man I love how the music sounds.. everything is so crisp, the hi-hats are really standing out.

Not too fond on the vocals though, guess I'm too used to the original. But it's not bad.

You know, I've always supported the band and understood that they wanted to be huge...and appreciated the fine line they've always walked when balancing the business side of things and their art. They've crossed it several times and played with fire in that way. But this is just too much.

I can't believe I'm about to type this and I never thought I would say this but...

U2 HAS SOLD OUT.

Now why would I be "chill" about such a thing after having supported them passionately for decades?

I'm sure people will tell me to leave the board and why even still follow them then? The truth is I will always follow this band no matter what they do.

But this is insanity.

I agree with some of what you say, but for all sorts of personal reasons I like the brass necked confidence of this move and particularly re-visiting Red Hill and this album in 2017 ... here's my thinking anyway..

I love this band, they can still blow my mind but also make me want to bang my head against a brick wall (their fuck ups are part of the journey - it's never boring!). But this year is something quite different.: Touring the Joshua Tree after 30 years and most importantly they've finished an album (I have to read that back to myself .. finished an album!)

I don't think they would go on this tour (which is causing wild anticipation here in the UK) without having the confidence of a great U2 album under their belt.

Let's revisit this conversation after the tour / new album but I'm ready for the ride.. it could go either way.. but I'm really excited about it!

Cheers - Jim

PS: to take on RHMT and re-sing it after all these years is not a sell out, it's fucking brave!!

Last edited:
People have been whinging that U2 have sold out since about the time of Rattle and Hum. It's frankly just too boring at this point. I'm just to the point of , if you don't like it, don't participate and try not to foist your musty ideals on everyone else. No one still holds up to your "ideals", so I guess just retreat to 1987 and listen to old records from old bands who haven't sold out in your mind.

That sounded a lot better than it had any right to be. :up::up:

Your reaction was the one I was most looking forward to. The most objective barometer of new U2. Doesn't mean I don't have an irrational love of their music even when it is nowhere as good as it was, but if Danny's happy, it must be ok

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That's very kind of you mate. Thanks

Your taste and recommendations are always appreciated. I find it hard because I still get excited to hear new u2 like I was 17 years ago, but I have lost objectivity in my own opinions because I build it up a lot. I will still always enjoy it, but I lose site of whether it is actually good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree with some of what you say, but for all sorts of personal reasons I like the brass necked confidence of this move and particularly re-visiting Red Hill and this album in 2017 ... here's my thinking anyway..

I love this band, they can still blow my mind but also make me want to bang my head against a brick wall (their fuck ups are part of the journey - it's never boring!). But this year is something quite different.: Touring the Joshua Tree after 30 years and most importantly they've finished an album (I have to read that back to myself .. finished an album!)

I don't think they would go on this tour (which is causing wild anticipation here in the UK) without having the confidence of a great U2 album under their belt.

Let's revisit this conversation after the tour / new album but I'm ready for the ride.. it could go either way.. but I'm really excited about it!

Cheers - Jim

PS: to take on RHMT and re-sing it after all these years is not a sell out, it's fucking brave!!
Nothing is finished until it is actually released.

And its pretty easy to imagine that even if something is close to completion at this point, they will make up an excuse to keep polishing the turds well after the tour ends.

Let's just hope they come up with something more honest than the ridiculously lame excuse about America and the world being back in 1987 again. So sad.

Nothing is finished until it is actually released.

And its pretty easy to imagine that even if something is close to completion at this point, they will make up an excuse to keep polishing the turds well after the tour ends.

Let's just hope they come up with something more honest than the ridiculously lame excuse about America and the world being back in 1987 again. So sad.

And it's pretty easy to imagine that they're committed to make this happened since the band themselves are on video saying it's coming out.

Blanket pessimism can be just as lame as starry eyed optimism. Sad.

And it's pretty easy to imagine that they're committed to make this happened since the band themselves are on video saying it's coming out.

Blanket pessimism can be just as lame as starry eyed optimism. Sad.

You seem to be a hammer in search of nails. I guess the comments from others about your style are on the mark.

As for the bands' promises... good for you to take them at their word.... they have proven very reliable in that regard.

You seem to be a hammer in search of nails. I guess the comments from others about your style are on the mark.

As for the bands' promises... good for you to take them at their word.... they have proven very reliable in that regard.

Not searching for anything, I just think any extreme either way is a waste of time.

Not searching for anything, I just think any extreme either way is a waste of time.

Hard to imagine how anyone would take my post as extreme, but if that is what gets you worked up then ok.

I'm a realist when it comes to this band. To some that may look like pessimism, I don't see it that way.

The band IMO were ridiculous in how they ditched the album and rationalized this tour. But I am sure that has been rehashed over and over, before I joined the forum, so I will try to not beat what is presumably a very dead horse at this point.

You mean we had that huge thread all for nothing? Just to humour a baseless theory? Wow who knew!

EBliKtH.gif

People have been whinging that U2 have sold out since about the time of Rattle and Hum. It's frankly just too boring at this point. I'm just to the point of , if you don't like it, don't participate and try not to foist your musty ideals on everyone else. No one still holds up to your "ideals", so I guess just retreat to 1987 and listen to old records from old bands who haven't sold out in your mind.

So true. Even in 87 there was a group of fans that yelled sellout, Boy to War was IT!
Definitely during Rattle and Hum. Blues music? A movie? Jesus Christ, NO WAY! Not MY band.
Then oh boy, the great divide of Achtung Baby. WHAT?!! this isn't my band that I love! Since when does U2 do industrial music?!?!? I don't even recognize them anymore.
Zooropa??! forget about it, Bono used to sing about important things, and now Lemon and Numb?? Sellouts!!
POP? Holy Shit! They've jumped the shark! I can never listen to them again! Did you see that Discoteque video?!
HTDAAB? - Oh great, U2 sold out to Apple. They are in a fucking commercial. This is bullshit. I used to love them, but this is just stupid!

The list goes on and on and on....

So true. Even in 87 there was a group of fans that yelled sellout, Boy to War was IT!
Definitely during Rattle and Hum. Blues music? A movie? Jesus Christ, NO WAY! Not MY band.
Then oh boy, the great divide of Achtung Baby. WHAT?!! this isn't my band that I love! Since when does U2 do industrial music?!?!? I don't even recognize them anymore.
Zooropa??! forget about it, Bono used to sing about important things, and now Lemon and Numb?? Sellouts!!
POP? Holy Shit! They've jumped the shark! I can never listen to them again! Did you see that Discoteque video?!
HTDAAB? - Oh great, U2 sold out to Apple. They are in a fucking commercial. This is bullshit. I used to love them, but this is just stupid!

The list goes on and on and on....
The beauty of U2 fans is how much we can love and hate our band at the same time. We may talk shit about them, but we always forgive them and stick around because they're too awesome to give up on even when they do something really weird.

^^ I couldn't agree more.. and when you least expect it, U2 can hit you between the eyes and send you toppling

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom