Secret show at Pappy and Harriets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobaticFly

The Fly
A Friend says someone who tipped him off about McCartneys secret show says a U2 one is coming. He's working on figuring out when. We'll see!

Holy shit.

Also is there some dispute with AEG?

I will drive out to P&H just to get a jump on tickets for that one.

They are direct competition. I'm pretty sure U2's Live Nation contract is why they are playing Bonnaroo instead of Coachella.

That said, for something like this, they might make an exception. But again, they are currently booked for shows. I definitely would keep an eye out for it.

Currently, they are booked Thursday through Monday. And given that it's an AEG venue, I just don't see them playing there.

Looking at the calendar, the venue is usually closed on Tuesdays. That doesn't mean they can't open for a private event that day. And it's a day off for the band, they don't play until Wednesday night in Houston. They're likely to stay in Los Angeles til Tuesday anyway since Edge lives here and why would you want to be in Texas any longer than you need to be?

And if for some reason they wanted to play Monday, I'm sure the venue wouldn't have a hard time booting Open Mic night, which is probably free admission. The show would definitely be outside in the back and they could even keep Open Mic night on the indoor stage and just have a separate entrance for the U2 show.

This is all pretty far-fetched because these arrangements wouldn't be made at the last minute. Of course Paul McCartney's show was announced that same morning, via his own Twitter account. Here were the details:

Tickets go on-sale exclusively through Pappy Harriet’s box office only at 6:30pm, with no line-ups permitted prior to 3:00pm. Tickets will be limited to one per person, and are first come, first served. You will need to enter the venue immediately upon the purchase of your ticket. There will be a strict no readmittance policy. All tickets are CASH ONLY, and will be priced at $50 (including taxes and fees).

So if you want to be extremely optimistic I'd plan on being free Monday and Tuesday and being prepared to drive out to Pappy's early afternoon. Which is actually something I'd be able to swing.

The other question is, exactly what kind of show would this be? The significance of playing IN Joshua Tree during a JT retrospective tour would imply the full album treatment, but would they do so without the visuals? Would they just play a bunch of random shit including JT/R&H songs, maybe some classic covers? I feel like this was a more natural fit for McCartney, and the only U2 shows to compare that come to mind are The Roxy in 2015 and Irving Plaza in 2000.

Anyway, it's time for the original poster to come back and elaborate before we get too ahead of ourselves.

Rumour of a new single. Maybe the song the band have been repeatedly rehearsing?
The speculation is desperate and delusional.

Slightest whiff of a secret club gig:
Six fucking paragraphs already mentally planning the trip because they may open the venue for a private event?? Monday's open mic but they could postpone it or have both???? You never know!! :wave:

But yeah, let's wait for the original poster to say a little more before we get ahead of ourselves. :lol:

I'll bet that false equivalence looked good when you typed it out.

Here's what I said at the top of that new thread, my initial reaction:

Seems odd to me to release something new right before a tour of a classic album begins; shouldn't the focus at the moment be on JT?

I imagined they would capitalize on the goodwill from the tour with a subsequent single mid-summer.

At least wait until the intital tour hype wears down.

Then this new single news was essentially debunked by pointing out Neil McCormick's erroneous tweet? Yet some people still thought there was a scent to follow. My "desperate and delusional" comment came 2 days later when it was pretty clear nothing was happening.

Maybe the original poster in this thread is full of shit but he's been here for a few years and claims to have secondhand information from someone who was right about a similar show in the past, not some blurb on a radio station that was never verified or mentioned again and was likely connected to McCormick's error.

You tried.

Last edited:

Then this new single news was essentially debunked by pointing out Neil McCormick's erroneous tweet? Yet some people still thought there was a scent to follow. My "desperate and delusional" comment came 2 days later when it was pretty clear nothing was happening.

Maybe the original poster in this thread is full of shit but he's been here for a few years and claims to have secondhand information from someone who was right about a similar show in the past, not some blurb on a radio station that was never verified or mentioned again and was likely connected to McCormick's error.

You tried.

Hey guys! I swear *I'M* genuine haha. Just reporting the info given to me. Having said that, still no updates.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of those were free shows sponsored by radio/TV stations, no? Can't remember the Irving Plaza details but I thought that was broadcast. It was also the longest set of those, with something like 12-13 songs?

This would be different, at least if they follow the McCartney model. And if you do charge people, let's say the same $50, how long would they feel obligated to play? As I said before, I can't imagine them playing a full show without visuals, but I also don't think they'd charge that much for half a show.

It just doesn't seem realistic, but then I never thought they would give away an album with no advance notice, either.

You tried.

I'm aware of your first reaction. Wouldn't have said anything had you not laboured your other point for days after :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I'll admit now that was a pretty shit post haha kind of reaching, trying compare the two and derail the conversation when, like you said, this guy wasn't wrong before. So yeah, sorry Laz :huh:

Same with The Roxy. You could only win tickets from KROQ (I did!). Although I'm sure all the celebs there didn't "win" tickets, lol.

Just like how their tickets didn't "randomly" beep for them to get into the Vertigo inner circle. :angry:

On the other hand, I'll admit now that was a pretty shit post haha kind of reaching, trying compare the two and derail the conversation when, like you said, this guy wasn't wrong before. So yeah, sorry Laz :huh:

Let's be real though, this show probably isn't happening. I just went speculation-crazy because it's so close to home and would be one of the most unique shows they've ever played if it actually did materialize.

The kids thing turned into a bit of a rort on the third leg.

Personally, I must have been bloody lucky judging by some of the accounts here. I got into the ellipse both times I had GA.

i think it really was random, but that they had an override system that they could trigger at the gates.

plus they obviously held a number of wristbands for guests of band/promoters/venue/etc, and Paul McG and others were known to sometimes wander the back of the floor and hand out wristbands.

at East Rutherford we saw Paul back by the soundboard - he was quite drunk, kept patting us on the back, and gave us wristbands to "go into the heart" (yea, this was Vertigo). We got to security at the entrance to the ellipse before we realized that Paul gave us the wrong wristbands... he gave us the regular ones (which we already had) and not the ellipse ones. We tried explaining to the ticket taker that Paul McGuinness gave them to us personally but accidentally gave us the wrong ones. Unsurprisingly he didn't quite buy our story.

Back
Top Bottom