**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe 35 full band. Edge said HE had 60 songs ready to go. The 2015 tour was a bigger project(especially if the 2 setlist thing was still alive late in the game) and Bono's recovery may have given him some extra down time.

5-10 of those 60 songs rehearsed by Edge in 2015 may never be known. It's a great topic to ask Dallas when he's talking to fans.....you get much better answer than band member encounters. They are well aware of fan polls.

Looking back at what didn't make the shows - it's quite a list or rarities / never-played songs. One Step Closer, Ground Beneath Her Feet, Playboy Mansion, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, acoustic Moment of Surrender & NLOTH, acoustic The Fly, Running to Stand Still.

For a tour that was initially missing rarities beyond one-off surprises, they sure left a lot on the floor in Vancouver.

if the band would stop worrying so much about "dhherrrr we have to put the best show on every night so we have to play the same set every night so that nobody misses out on pride" and just rotate the set each and every night, we wouldn't have any of these issues.

alas - that's never happening - never ever ever ever. so we can only hope that they toss us a bone here and there.

I checked out Green Day's message board in the lead-up to the show I saw in April. It was literally the same discussions on the set list that were here and on 99% of any other band message boards I've checked out in the past. Unlike U2 though, I don't think they really changed their set list at all on this leg of their tour. Maybe one song, if any? At least on I&E, it could've been 2 or 4 a night depending on when you went. Yes, there was the whole "we're going to try and have a different feel..." etc. etc. , but you can't really say that this band didn't try something different the last time around.

Still... for Green Day, they pulled out most of the stuff I knew and I enjoyed the show. Yet again, I was what you call a "casual fan", so perhaps I'd be the bad guy in those parts. :D

Edit: Not too long ago, I checked out Springsteen's bootleg site to look into getting a CD version of the show I went to last year. This was in the comments section and I nearly fell over laughing.

With the only variation in part two, I do hope the site begins to allow us to purchase "a la carte" to mix things up a bit. I love the songs and performances but mind numbing repetition precludes purchasing these shows.

So... shockingly, even Springsteen and Pearl Jam aren't beyond complaints from the fans either! If something's done differently, the argument just shifts somewhere else.

Last edited:
I checked out Green Day's message board in the lead-up to the show I saw in April. It was literally the same discussions on the set list that were here and on 99% of any other band message boards I've checked out in the past. Unlike U2 though, I don't think they really changed their set list at all on this leg of their tour. Maybe one song, if any? At least on I&E, it could've been 2 or 4 a night depending on when you went. Yes, there was the whole "we're going to try and have a different feel..." etc. etc. , but you can't really say that this band didn't try something different the last time around.

Still... for Green Day, they pulled out most of the stuff I knew and I enjoyed the show. Yet again, I was what you call a "casual fan", so perhaps I'd be the bad guy in those parts. :D

Edit: Not too long ago, I checked out Springsteen's bootleg site to look into getting a CD version of the show I went to last year. This was in the comments section and I nearly fell over laughing.

With the only variation in part two, I do hope the site begins to allow us to purchase "a la carte" to mix things up a bit. I love the songs and performances but mind numbing repetition precludes purchasing these shows.

So... shockingly, even Springsteen and Pearl Jam aren't beyond complaints from the fans either! If something's done differently, the argument just shifts somewhere else.

I've also read the Pearl Jam and Bruce forums discussing those things. I used to be really into the DMB forums. If they played a 2 night stand at a venue, fans would complain if there were ANY repeats from one night to the next. DMB usually averages 20 songs per show, and if one of those showed up the 2nd night, people were raising hell and bitching about static sets.

But there are other bands who literally never change more than 1 song throughout an entire tour, unless they end up dropping a song without replacing it with something else. Since Elevation, U2 have been pretty good about changing up at least a couple songs throughout the show. I don't normally complain about that.

Thanks- sounds like you live in a prime spot! :up:

Live 2 blocks from BC place 23rd floor. Once they start using the band PA system for dress rehearsal or just testing, if I'm home I'll know it.

Walked around again today. All the views from behind the stage (227 & 228) are now fully obscured by video panels. The mid floor side stage view (243) is unchanged so I guess that steel is used to support lighting that is attached above what can be seen through the gate entrance.

IMG_2525.jpg

So, if they do start rehearsing today...predictions? 5 songs, check the stage out and they're gone.

So, if they do start rehearsing today...predictions? 5 songs, check the stage out and they're gone.

Maybe they rehearse somewhere other than BC Place? No need for dress rehearsel on the big stage yet.

The mid floor side stage view (243) is unchanged so I guess that steel is used to support lighting that is attached above what can be seen through the gate entrance.

They are extra speaker stacks called "relay towers" to help avoid bad stadium echo. not used in 1987 or 1992.

http://cdn.u2.com/non_secure/user/images/comments/20100430/103931_2889_6/full_640.jpg

http://img.wennermedia.com/social/rs-194234-95911354.jpg

Coachella also uses them on their main stage
http://eecue.com/i/Coachella-Main-Stage-eecue_32254_7mta_l.jpg

Edge/Mrs. Edge/Dallas wouldn't have been seen there in the past 5 days.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here. But there are two kinds of rehearsals. Band rehearsals and production rehearsals. The production rehearsals will obviously happen at BC Place but it might be a bit early for that. The band can rehearse anywhere and don't need to even be on a stage. 2 or 3 days is all the lighting/video/production guys need.

If they truly didn't want fans to hear their rehearsals, it would def be in their power to properly restrict it.

What, they can't rehearse the songs in another location where there aren't fans lingering around?

They need the cat walk and all the production for the final rehearsals. They only have a single set of that production stuff and it's in BC Place right now.

Audio is not that great outside the venue, so don't expect any early audio leaks like 2015. Plus the multiple vehicle exits mean band members can come/go without notice.

They need the cat walk and all the production for the final rehearsals. They only have a single set of that production stuff and it's in BC Place right now.

Audio is not that great outside the venue, so don't expect any early audio leaks like 2015. Plus the multiple vehicle exits mean band members can come/go without notice.

I will hear them play from my condo. Whether I will be able to decifer between songs or not, I'm not sure. Since I've lived here there has only been one event. It was a two day two stage festival and from inside is could tell when a band changed. I never went out on the balcony to see how much U could actually hear from there.

From my stalking I'm almost certain band members will arrive and leave below gate C. That is the only place there is any security presence and from there they will be directly behind the stage where any backstage lounge(s) will be set up.

Lighting guys are now playing inside BC Place. Lots of Purple.

Last edited:
I will hear them play from my condo. Whether I will be able to decifer between songs or not, I'm not sure. Since I've lived here there has only been one event. It was a two day two stage festival and from inside is could tell when a band changed. I never went out on the balcony to see how much U could actually hear from there.

I could hear the McCartney 2012 soundcheck enough to tell songs apart. Same with Roger Waters when I got inside the venue several songs late.

You heard the 2 day EDM Contact Festival from your balcony. There are no "songs" and the sound quality inside the venue was likely horrible due to volume and not selling any seats in the stands(10,000 e-tards on the GA floor).

New photos of Bono at a restaurant(Diamonds) last night in the downtown core. Edge was this afternoon was a fish place(Chewies) near kits beach where Bono was spotted last week. In 2015 they never went to the same place twice.

I could hear the McCartney 2012 soundcheck enough to tell songs apart. Same with Roger Waters when I got inside the venue several songs late.

You heard the 2 day EDM Contact Festival from your balcony. There are no "songs" and the sound quality inside the venue was likely horrible due to volume and not selling any seats in the stands(10,000 e-tards on the GA floor).

New photos of Bono at a restaurant(Diamonds) last night in the downtown core. Edge was this afternoon was a fish place(Chewies) near kits beach where Bono was spotted last week. In 2015 they never went to the same place twice.

Yeah Contact. That was it. I never actually went outside. I could hear it inside the condo. That's why I'll know when they turn on the PA.

2 sightings in Kits? I bet they rented some houses near Kits beach.

If the thought of the lighting guys jamming onstage in the bands absence doesn't tickle you in these stressful times I don't know what to tell you! :ohmy:

He's kidding. They were practicing their Prince Purple Rain tribute that was rumoured in the setlist thread.

It was at least seven minutes of purple. You might be right. Get the rumour started ;)

Bowie?
Chuck Berry?

I'm biased.
7fvjAff.jpg

#onlymezzaninewhattyepofnubisthisfool #scoff #helpmecrowdfoundforprofessionalmasteringofmybootleg #please

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom