**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Coldplay was the band for my generation. I was 18 when "Yellow" and Parachutes broke out, and had just started college. I first saw them at a small venue in 2002 when AROBTTH had just came out. That was one of the best performances I've ever seen by a band. I could tell that they were going to be huge. They just seemed like they wanted it more than any of the other bands of that era, but they weren't arrogant dicks about it like The Killers were. I loved their first 2 albums, X&Y was a little bit of a let down but really not that bad, and then Viva La Vida really connected with me in a big way.

But then starting with Mylo Xyloto, things changed, and they were no longer really a band I could connect with. I still listened to MX and Ghost Stories quite a bit, but this most recent album I just couldn't get into. And their new stuff on the new EP that I've heard just seems to push further down the same road.

I realize that I'm out of touch now at 35, and I don't expect Coldplay to stay the same as they were in the 00's. It just seems like they will do anything and everything to stay hip and current, and it just doesn't seem natural to me anymore. But then again, that's probably what 80's U2 fans thought of AB, Zooropa and Pop, which are probably my 3 favorite U2 albums.

Coldplay is wannabe U2

Oh Interference, you never change.

First somebody mentions sarcastically that Sting will make an argument based on stats, and Sting does exactly that. Then, because Coldplay was mentioned in those stats, the thread suddenly turns to bashing Coldplay.

"Coldplay sucks" isn't a particularly relevant response to "their YouTube numbers for recent singles take a huge dump on U2's numbers for recent singles". Evidently the people watching recent singles on YouTube don't quite agree.

Oh Interference, you never change.

First somebody mentions sarcastically that Sting will make an argument based on stats, and Sting does exactly that. Then, because Coldplay was mentioned in those stats, the thread suddenly turns to bashing Coldplay.

"Coldplay sucks" isn't a particularly relevant response to "their YouTube numbers for recent singles take a huge dump on U2's numbers for recent singles". Evidently the people watching recent singles on YouTube don't quite agree.
I thought Coldplay could have been the new U2 in the early 2000s I followed them around on tour and they were stunning. The last time I saw them was last July and they were dreadful, the show was all over the place ranging from the sublime version of Clocks they did to the horrific Hymn For The Weekend. They've got some great stuff but they've fallen badly, their new Chainsmokers song and songs from their new EP are just bad. Bad music is bad music and I'm not bashing them for not being U2 but for the mid life "Chris crisis" stuff they're now producing.

I've never been a Coldplay fan. A few decent songs on the first couple of albums but always far too slight a band.

But they didn't come up in this thread on account of their quality or lack thereof, and it's so Interference for this discussion to now be about why they suck today.

Coldplay just don't have enough BITE to them. Back in 2001 I took a friend to see U2 who was a casual fan, and is more of a metal head. He was surprised at how hard some of U2's songs rocked. He wasn't really familiar with The Fly, UTEOTW, Bullet, Gone, I will follow, etc, so he was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all stuff like WOWY and ISHFWILF. That's what U2 has over Coldplay, they CAN rock.

I think coldplays heaviest song is probably Politik, which is possibly my favorite song of theirs.

I thought Coldplay could have been the new U2 in the early 2000s I followed them around on tour and they were stunning. The last time I saw them was last July and they were dreadful, the show was all over the place ranging from the sublime version of Clocks they did to the horrific Hymn For The Weekend. They've got some great stuff but they've fallen badly, their new Chainsmokers song and songs from their new EP are just bad. Bad music is bad music and I'm not bashing them for not being U2 but for the mid life "Chris crisis" stuff they're now producing.
Having seen them again just a few months ago I can say that in a live setting they are an amazing band, also the band members are all very talented and also multi-instrumentalists. Some people don't like their music? Fine. But their shows went off and, some dodgy recent lyrics aside, they have great songs.

Interesting that you assign tone to someone's text... you assume mad, it was more dumbfounded.

If that is what you meant, then it is a pretty easily debatable, and not at all insightful position. OL would easily be their most well known 2010s song considering that they've only released one album in the time, an album that infuriated every non-fan.

Yep

Last edited:
Having seen them again just a few months ago I can say that in a live setting they are an amazing band, also the band members are all very talented and also multi-instrumentalists. Some people don't like their music? Fine. But their shows went off and, some dodgy recent lyrics aside, they have great songs.

Say what you will about the music quality-wise, but the guys can sure put on a show.

Well, you could argue NLOTH did not infuriate non-fans at all. They did not give a shit and simply hit the ignore button.

It did infuriate (or left dumbfounded to use your words) the actual fans.

NLOTH was 2009 - SOI was the album that infuriated, and was the only one released in the time nominated.

I saw Coldplay last summer as well and thought the concert was awesome. Haven't seen that much pyrotechnics since Metallica in 1992. The music was great and they did well with the setlist balancing promoting the new album with old material. The crowd loved it as well. It was the first time I had seen Coldplay in a stadium. I have seen all their tours since the first one for Parachutes in 2001. First Coldplay song I ever heard was "Don't Panic" while touring the Scottish Highlands in January 2001. Definitely the closest thing to U2 to start(debut album) in the 21st century.

Should be inducted into the Rock N' Roll hall of fame in their first year of eligibility in 2025 just as U2 and Pearl Jam were in their initial years in 2005 and 2017.

And judging by the rehearsal patterns of I and e - they will likely rehearse in chunks - whole Joshua Tree, and probably two other chunks of songs - we will only guess at the order the chunks will be played until there is a full dress rehearsal.

With I and e, we thought for a long time that Invisible would open because they started a lot of rehearsals there - it was just that they often started from the intermissions

How many songs did they practice 2 years ago before I&E tour started? just wondering

Sets of 10-11 I think.

In all, there may have been 5-6 that never showed up, and 3-4 that were total surprises when they did get played. So I'd say they ran through 30-35 individual songs in the week or so before opening night

How many songs did they practice 2 years ago before I&E tour started? just wondering

Maybe 35 full band. Edge said HE had 60 songs ready to go. The 2015 tour was a bigger project(especially if the 2 setlist thing was still alive late in the game) and Bono's recovery may have given him some extra down time.

5-10 of those 60 songs rehearsed by Edge in 2015 may never be known. It's a great topic to ask Dallas when he's talking to fans.....you get much better answer than band member encounters. They are well aware of fan polls.

Got home about 9:00pm last night. From the condo I could see that concert lighting was in use. No sound eminating so just testing/setup/practice. By 10:00pm it was over and BC place went dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom