**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked around the stadium for an hour around supper time.

Very limited sight lines but all the metal staging and relay towers are up. No speakers/lights/"fabric"/band gear in sight yet. Lots of u2 crew around with shirts from 360 or the Roger Waters The Wall tour.

1 SUV(with special plates) parked inside the fenced in loading area and I saw another one carefully drive right into the stadium through the garage door where I could see most of the set up when open for a few seconds. So at least 2 band members are here, I just don't know which 2.

Tough to say if I will hear anything this week, but the PA/productions sometimes only takes a few hours to put up.

I did a walkabout this morning. Tried to take a stadium tour but all tours now cancelled until May 14th. Not much can be seen through the windows. Took some pix from best (if you wanna call them that) locations. Security gate at the vehicle gate entrance below gate C had a three person security presence. Not sure if that's normal.

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

TIL Ordinary Love has almost 40M views on Youtube and another 15M from Jimmy Fallon. Wtf!

So is U2 in Vancouver??? Only 2 weeks to go.....

Barcelona 2009 was about June 19 for a July 2 opening night. This tour will have less "choreography" than past tours because it's only 1 simple cat walk and half the set is JT in a 11 song chunk.

Evidence of Edge and Larry in town/venue. AFAIK, not a peep from Adam or Bono....keep in mind I don't think Bono has the word "discreet" in his vocabulary. I got a hello from Rocco. I'm not even bothering to bring a camera or half complete autographed album I have for awhile and I'm not expected to hear anything until Monday.

Have all 4 band members been together, or in the same city, this April?

This tour will have less "choreography" than past tours

What? But more than 50% of their appeal as a live act, is the potential for theatrics! Maybe, Justin Bieber going on stadium tours is getting to them a little.

I think someone awhile back mentioned it as an explanation for why the numbers were so high, since there wasn't any way people actually liked the song. So yeah, it was a joke.

I just said the numbers baffle me, not that they're doctored.

I maintain that if you walked down to the mall and asked ten people if they've heard of the song Ordinary Love, you'll be lucky to find one who knows it. Now I'm not saying U2 should only play hits - hell, I regularly argue the exact opposite - but this is both a weird and a terrible deep cut to pull out of the drawer, especially with a proposed method that's even more weird and terrible.

The set's crowded enough as it is. Something really big and popular won't show up - Bad, New Year's Day, UTEOTW, something like that. The rarities the fanbase has been desiring for years, like A Sort of Homecoming or anything from Pop, have almost no chance because of the limited space. And they're thinking of Ordinary fucking Love? They're out of their minds.

If this reaction is OTT then I don't want to be... under? the top. It's one of the stupidest setlist ideas U2 have ever had.

Yeah but keep in mind this tour isn't like any that U2 have done before- I bought a ticket fully expecting a mainstream, safe, greatest hits-esque tour. I'm really not surprised at the presence of Ordinary Love. It's one of their biggest recent songs and the band clearly love it.

They're playing one of the biggest albums EVER to win back favor, reignite their casual/fringe fans and make some cash. This isn't the tour that we'd be hearing a deep rarity on (aside from the guarantees of RHMT, Trip, One Tree Hill and Exit). I am fully expecting more cuts like that when they pick up the Experience tour though.

I think the argument would just shift to something else, no matter what they did. Whether they switched up one or twelve songs a night, there will always be discussions over what the "right" songs and "wrong" songs are. Or how these people got one song, but we didn't get the other, and so on.

This comes after seeing enough message boards for other bands to realize they're having the exact same conversations that we do here.

Friday update:

Two bio diesel generator trailers have now arrived on site parked at the street level vehicle entrance. Workers are stringing cables into the venue. That's one interesting part of stadium concerts. The venues don't have enough power or proper distribution network so the shows have to bring their own. I would have expected more trailers than 2 though. Maybe more come but perhaps the LED effect has greatly reduced power consumption. These trailers say CAT Bio Diesel on them.

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

I tried to take a picture from street level and security got very disturbed by that so I just went up to the Georgia viaduct.

Inside at first glance not much difference but upon closer study I could see the top of an irregular shape attached to the steel scaffolding. Probably the top of a tree. Tough to see in the pictures taken through tinted glass. If you squint hard you can make it ot at the bottom of the visible area through gate 227.

IMG_2498.jpg

I'm OOT this weekend so no updates till Monday.

So two weeks out and apparently a very tight lid on songs being rehearsed.... unless I missed something. Not that I really expected much different but pretty much leads to JT + Greatest Hits + OL dontcha think?

It's definitely not fully built yet. At least as of this morning. Those speakers hanging from the ceiling are the venue PA system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom