Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's bizarre to me that we expect a band to "stick by what they said." ... are people never allowed to change their minds? Do you feel the same way about some things you did 5,10, 15 years.

It's ridiculous to hold them to such high standards about things like that. They're a frustrating band to love, but I'm not making a list of things they say and then point them out when they change their minds or things change.

It's bizarre to me that we expect a band to "stick by what they said." ... are people never allowed to change their minds? Do you feel the same way about some things you did 5,10, 15 years.

It's ridiculous to hold them to such high standards about things like that. They're a frustrating band to love, but I'm not making a list of things they say and then point them out when they change their minds or things change.

Yes, a lot of the fundamental principles I had years ago are still intact. In fact, these days now that I'm older, I live up to them a lot more than I did then.

Beyond that, I'm not holding the band to everything they've ever said.

What I am asking is that they honor the most fundamental principles they once stood for. A lot of people here seem to have said "ah f*ck it - it is what it is". I think that's a big part of the mindset difference here on this board and why I'm getting so much vitriol.

If we just blindly accept a cash grab then we're being complicit (and actually bankrolling) this "reverse gears" mode.

I'm not going to do that. I don't want U2 to be a band where I have to acquiesce to their "cash grab"...and blindly follow and contribute to it...and just say "it is what is is".

I wouldn't ever do that.

I work with people like this. You can agree on a fundamental point, but if you don't follow their flawed, cracked or tenuous logic, they will start World War III until you just understand them.

They refuse to acknowledge that they could be wrong, or jumping to conclusions, and even if the outcome is the same (summed up best by headache, and reflective of the way most people around here feel), the fact you don't acknowledge their brilliance frustrates them to the point of meltdown.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Redhill, you certainly aren't alone in some of that thinking, people here have even expressed it. But the level of indignant outrage coming across is ... well, pretty silly

Yes, a lot of the fundamental principles I had years ago are still intact. In fact, these days now that I'm older, I live up to them a lot more than I did then.

Beyond that, I'm not holding the band to everything they've ever said.

What I am asking is that they honor the most fundamental principles they once stood for. A lot of people here seem to have said "ah f*ck it - it is what it is". I think that's a big part of the mindset difference here on this board and why I'm getting so much vitriol.

If we just blindly accept a cash grab then we're being complicit (and actually bankrolling) this "reverse gears" mode.

I'm not going to do that. I don't want U2 to be a band where I have to acquiesce to their "cash grab"...and blindly follow and contribute to it...and just say "it is what is is".

I wouldn't ever do that.

your personal refusal to purchase one box set acquiesce to their cash grab is definitely going to make the band suddenly stop and rethink everything they've been doing for the last couple decades and totally re-evaluate their future plans in regret. :up:

Guys, by no means am I an expert, but I'm better than I thought and this is the only possible reason.

Oh I know you're gonna say, maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he's under the weather... WRONG fake news! My sky is falling observation is the only answer. I mean have you seen how much ridiculous alarmist speculation I can spit out about one single song I haven't heard yet?

This post brought to you by Lou Reed tribute bands that play nothing but U2.

Regardless of Larry's facial expression during the Q&A this week(After all, Larry nerver had a 1 million dollars smille on his face),there is one thing we can all agree on with redhill, and that is this tour is something that the band had refused to be for 40 years.

.....And that disappointment is fully legit.Nothing "coo-coo" about it.

Regardless of Larry's facial expression during the Q&A this week(After all, Larry nerver had a 1 million dollars smille on his face),there is one thing we can all agree on with redhill, and that is this tour is something that the band had refused to be for 40 years.

Thank you.

I work with people like this. You can agree on a fundamental point, but if you don't follow their flawed, cracked or tenuous logic, they will start World War III until you just understand them.

They refuse to acknowledge that they could be wrong, or jumping to conclusions, and even if the outcome is the same (summed up best by headache, and reflective of the way most people around here feel), the fact you don't acknowledge their brilliance frustrates them to the point of meltdown.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Boy, you are being thick.

1. There is no cracked or fundamental logic. This is something that band have not been for their entire career. That is a fact. Larry showed every sign possible that he is not on board during that q&a video. While you can dismiss it by calling it subjective (even though anyone with any rudimentary understanding of body language would agree with me), there are some indisputable facts at play here.

These facts have already been presented but you continue to be omissive and pretend they were never typed.

One last time:
Larry has expressed in the past that he does not want to be a jukebox. This tour concept is the epitome of that.

Bono has stated that someone should "call the cops" if this mindset / tour lasts longer than a summer. If that's not the words of someone being conflicted about their approach, I don't know what is.

Larry was asked to name a JT song he was excited about in relation to this tour. Apart from an off handed joke in response to a fan's comment, he named precisely -0-.

The band has made numerous statements (even with the last several years) about their being "no reverse gears on this tank".

I could go on but you will continue to ignore the facts presented.

2. I'm not starting any war. I'm simply defending myself from insults and character attacks because I dared to state the truth. I would actually welcome a logical, fact-based, and informative reply. I'm not finding much in that department (probably) because it's impossible based on everything we know about this band.

3. I don't need anyone to acknowledge any "brilliance". I'm not being brilliant as what I'm talking about is obvious and plain to see and is based on fact. Why would I admit to being wrong about something I'm not? Despite what you think about the video, this is still an uncharacteristic move by this band which runs counter to what they've stood for their entire career. *That* is what is indisputable and easily proven.

4. I'm not frustrated by disagreement with that point. A million people can disagree with a true statement but it doesn't make it any less true. I am disillusioned and disappointed with a lot of the delusional, distorted, and immature posts (from people like you). It's always the same on this board. You can try all you want to have an honest and enlightening discussion about something but you mostly get character attacks and people mocking you in return.

The bottom line for you is that you can't make any real point so you just attack me for stating the obvious. Then you try to pretend that I'm like people you work with when I'm not displaying any of the traits you go on to list. I don't appreciate being lied about (there has been no "meltdown" and won't be) but you apparently can't help yourself.

Luckily, there's a few rational and honest people who here who don't feel the need to play pretend. You're certainly not one enough of them...especially after continually mischaracterizing me.

Guys, by no means am I an expert, but I'm better than I thought and this is the only possible reason.

Oh I know you're gonna say, maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he's under the weather... WRONG fake news! My sky is falling observation is the only answer. I mean have you seen how much ridiculous alarmist speculation I can spit out about one single song I haven't heard yet?

This post brought to you by Lou Reed tribute bands that play nothing but U2.

This post brought to you by a notorious troll who, once again, has contributed absolutely nothing to a thread apart from attacking the poster who originated it.

Redhill, you certainly aren't alone in some of that thinking, people here have even expressed it. But the level of indignant outrage coming across is ... well, pretty silly

That level of outrage isn't even a tiny fraction of how much I've supported this band and fought their corner over the years. Is that silly, too?

It's hard to contribute to delusion.

Another last time, I guess.

Larry has expressed in the past that he does not want to be a jukebox. This tour concept is the epitome of that.

Bono has stated that someone should "call the cops" if this mindset / tour lasts longer than a summer. If that's not the words of someone being conflicted about their approach, I don't know what is.

Larry was asked to name a JT song he was excited about in relation to this tour. Apart from an off handed joke in response to a fan's comment, he named precisely -0-.

The band has made numerous statements (even with the last several years) about their being "no reverse gears on this tank".

Where is the delusion in those statements, exactly? Or is it easier (i.e. lazier) just to broadly dismiss something?

It's more disappointment than outrage, but you do you and add to the distortion.

giphy.gif

This whole notion that you are the same person you were 10 years ago or 20 years ago is ridiculous.

We didn't all get to grow up and be the astronaut or the famous actress that we set out to be as kids. We've all had those moments of saying 'I'm never going to be the parent that does this...' only to realize there are moments when you did.

When you have a career that long at one place of work it's only natural to step back and reflect on certain milestones. Who cares? And WHY do you care? I guarantee you you are not the same person at 50 that you were at 20, you're a liar if you state otherwise.

How and why is this tour hurting or damaging anything?

This whole notion that you are the same person you were 10 years ago or 20 years ago is ridiculous.

We didn't all get to grow up and be the astronaut or the famous actress that we set out to be as kids. We've all had those moments of saying 'I'm never going to be the parent that does this...' only to realize there are moments when you did.

When you have a career that long at one place of work it's only natural to step back and reflect on certain milestones. Who cares? And WHY do you care? I guarantee you you are not the same person at 50 that you were at 20, you're a liar if you state otherwise.

How and why is this tour hurting or damaging anything?

If you can't see they "why and how " then it's a waste of time trying to convince you or repeat myself (yet) again.

Take it easy.

I'm sorry to have piled on a bit, by the way. I've been disappointed by the band as well. But you know what, it's all gravy at this point. Maybe take that passionate energy and apply it to something productive.

And I hope you're pleasantly surprised by the update of the song and enjoy the show. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom