2017 Joshua Tree Tour Stage Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the reflection tree above the stage mirrors the b stage one. Just like the tour logo. I suppose it represents 30 years or something.

When we did it in Chicago, I was happy when security started scanning the credit cards before the doors technically opened. Definitely made things a bit easier for the first people in line.
London too. They actually had a separate area for people that had been scanned. About 30 minutes before gates opened they started scanning us, wrist banding us (choose Edge or Adam's side then) & moved us into a new area that held a few hundred people. So just the security check left, once gates opened. Very, very well organized. Paris wrist banded early, but I can't remember when the CC check was done.

Scanning credit cards early sounds like a good idea. Has anyone ever done paperless through a secondary seller? Like you meet up with a representative at the show to let you in?
Regardless, I am super excited for GA. Looks like it will be good.

Mainstage is a good 9-10 feet high. Much higher than arenas, and similar to 360 when front row mainstage meant a sore neck the next day.

DVD is already a lock. Pretty sure it's one of the Euro shows.

Any guesses as to which city it might be?

People always like to say "DAE Adam Clayton?" however I firmly believe that focusing on his position, would make for the most valuable filming. I know that people in the seats would get their view of him stepping on any bass pedals, but is there a valuable perspective of this from the floor too; from what we know of right now? Or does the B-stage make this inconveniant, or compromised from looking up?

Last edited:
Ppl who report back from Vancouver will tell us which is the most coveted GA spot.

PHP:
People always like to say "DAE Adam Clayton?" however I firmly believe that focusing on his position, would make for the most valuable filming. I know that people in the seats would get their view of him stepping on any bass pedals, but is there a valuable perspective of this from the floor too; from what we know of right now? Or does the B-stage make this inconveniant, or compromised from looking up?
Well I know I couldn't see the floor of the main stage from the front rail on 360.

Vertigo stadium stage was marginally better from memory. You'd have a slightly better angle of the main stage from further back near the b-stage, but you'd need a big zoom from back there (plus good OIS). You'd also be overlooking the crowd, contending with their arms.

Last edited:
My guess is Dublin or New York.

If its Europe my guess would be Dublin or Rome... Maybe Rome as there are 2 shows. I think they would rather get two nights captured so could be London or Amsterdam, dont think it would be Paris again.

What camera did you use?
A Canon S90, an advanced compact. So a compact with manual functions (I shot full manual), a large sensor & fast lens (large aperture). Things have moved on since 2009. I guess today's equivalent cameras would be things like the Sony RX100 & Panasonic LX10.

I've since moved on to a Micro four thirds camera, for it's much bigger sensor size, so better low light performance (perfect for concerts). But I chose a tiny one. A Panasonic GM5. Used it to shoot video at one i+e show.

as far as taping one of these shows... if they do intend to do so, they normally only tape at venues where they're playing more than one show; so they can do a dress rehearsal on night one and a full taping on night two. obviously they don't HAVE to do this, but that tends to be their M.O.

So the cities with 2 gigs on this tour are...

LA - Rose Bowl
Chicago - Soldier Field
NYC - MetLife
London - Twickenham
Rome - Stadio Olympico
Paris - Stade De France
Amsterdam - ArenA

they've had recent releases in LA, Chicago and Paris - so i think we can safely rule them out. that leaves NYC, London, Rome and Amsterdam. London's the first show of the European leg so I doubt they'd go there... so I think we can settle on NYC, Rome and Amsterdam as the likely candidates. All three haven't received a proper video release, and all three are towards the end of their respective legs.

i'd actually prefer Rome or Amsterdam

as far as taping one of these shows... if they do intend to do so, they normally only tape at venues where they're playing more than one show; so they can do a dress rehearsal on night one and a full taping on night two. obviously they don't HAVE to do this, but that tends to be their M.O.

So the cities with 2 gigs on this tour are...

LA - Rose Bowl
Chicago - Soldier Field
NYC - MetLife
London - Twickenham
Rome - Stadio Olympico
Paris - Stade De France
Amsterdam - ArenA

they've had recent releases in LA, Chicago and Paris - so i think we can safely rule them out. that leaves NYC, London, Rome and Amsterdam. London's the first show of the European leg so I doubt they'd go there... so I think we can settle on NYC, Rome and Amsterdam as the likely candidates. All three haven't received a proper video release, and all three are towards the end of their respective legs.

i'd actually prefer Rome or Amsterdam

Im going with Rome. I think the stadium would look better on film than Amsterdam somehow. Good crowd in both cities though.

i'd prefer rome or amsterdam... but i do get a feeling that they'll pick NYC this time around. you'd think at some point, with their obvious love affair with the city and sheer number of shows played there that they'd have some sort of official release filmed in the NYC metro area. we'll see. i agree rome would be the best choice.

Metallica GnR & Coldplay all have shows scheduled for BC Place this summer. Looking at TM map, Metallica and GnR look like they have at least 10,000 unsold seats.

IMG_2567.jpg

Still plenty of inventory for Coldplay also but it sold better.

BC Place has an intricate tarp system to potentially block unsold sections. Do we know for sure U2 sold the entire upper bowl? (Other than behind the stage)?

U2 definitely sold out the entire upper bowl. They haven't showed a standard ticket for sale since it sold out months ago. There would be no reason for them to block off sections immediately and not try to sell the rest over several months.

U2 definitely sold out the entire upper bowl. They haven't showed a standard ticket for sale since it sold out months ago. There would be no reason for them to block off sections immediately and not try to sell the rest over several months.

Only if they never put them on sale at all but that doesn't seem to be going on here. There are tickets available on StubHub in nearly every upper deck section.

This one's not new, but I can't see it posted here. Four relay towers. Their speaker stacks look like they could block a bit of the screen for some people, but probably not views of the band on stage.
C-iRvlPVwAApqJk.jpg

This one's not new, but I can't see it posted here. Four relay towers. Their speaker stacks look like they could block a bit of the screen for some people, but probably not views of the band on stage.
C-iRvlPVwAApqJk.jpg

The seats with potential blocked view were never sold. Clear and partial view tickets are part of the "drop". They were doing some of the sight line stuff 2 weeks ago in the venue, visible form the loading bay entrance when the door was up.

i'd prefer rome or amsterdam... but i do get a feeling that they'll pick NYC this time around. you'd think at some point, with their obvious love affair with the city and sheer number of shows played there that they'd have some sort of official release filmed in the NYC metro area. we'll see. i agree rome would be the best choice.

I prefer Rome so NJ is less of a desperate-for-the-camera GA cluster*ck.

Back
Top Bottom