Turin #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could get on board with WOWY as a closer. Just watched the video from last night with Shine like stars and the so long Torino at the end and it seemed like a perfect way to end the show, rather than the second part. I still think they have better ways to close, but if they want to stick to the current songs that'll be a vast improvement.

http://youtu.be/g_AvXMOlM74

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

nothing happening on the screen really..... just that Edge needed support the first night, he messed up big time.... by the way, it wasn't his night, he messed up the solo in Until the End of the World (Bono even said "Oh Edge"), quite funny. He also stopped 1 second too late at the end of Ordinary love. Really not his night, but funny at the same time.
Yesterday was much better from the audio I heard. Band much more at ease and less stressed. Opening nights are never the best ones.

It was perhaps the worst night of Edge I´ve ever heard. Maybe too much partying in between the tour legs.

I think One/ISHFWILF are the two best closers since Walk On - discounting the occasions that they play '40'.

...You mean the best since 40, since they played 40 the majority of nights on Vertigo? It wasn't exactly something that happened on occasion.

Last edited:
^....actually, I'd be totally on board with that. Good suggestion. It's pretty common for a lot of bands too, I reckon. Will never happen of course :lol:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Nine years on I'm still reminiscing about Kite closing. That was otherworldly and probably the best thing I have ever witnessed live (maybe aside from Pride-Streets at that same show and Outkast playing Da Art of Storytellin pt 1). One Tree Hill, even if it is "tailor-made" or whatever, by very virtue of being One Tree Hill, it rules.

I'm not as down on One as some people here and I think I'd dig a singalong version of it a lot - I really enjoyed ISHFWILF in that vein on 360. But these encores seem really shitty to me. BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW, of course.

But you cannot tell me there's nothing you'd change. That's a lie. Even this tour's staunchest defenders, mikal and KUEF35869743809T74097758370 would have things they'd change.

I mentioned the things I would change though - e-stage and the placement of WOWY/BD in the current arrangement.

I agree that the encores seem truncated and I would welcome a couple more songs in there. Shows could always be improved AIWIY or Bad and those would be my selections.

I'd also appreciate some Pop love, Discotheque could happily take the place of either EBTTRT or Mysterious Ways on occasion, but that is pandering to my own preferences.

...You mean the best since 40, since they played 40 the majority of nights on Vertigo? It wasn't exactly something that happened on occasion.

I was discounting '40' because wasn't an original choice for a closer, unlike every other song since and including Walk On.

I just watched MekVox's video of ISHFWILF from Turin - I love the way The Edge plays the notes all the way until he is out of the arena. It is just a beautiful way to close, I've thought so every time I've streamed a show!

Of course I would love the band to pull out any and all tricks and surprises they can muster - but that is not the cause for the going public to attend the show. We are the trainspotters, as Bono puts it, and I realise that and remove that subjective part of myself when considering the shows.

Last edited:
...which is why I wrote "if they can nail" it. Obviously at the moment it's not up to the task, and maybe it won't be, but I think the potential is there for it to hold down a LIB-like closing role if executed properly.

There really doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious candidate for a closer with a compelling reason for its use. I guess it's a question of how the band want to use the encore. To play some big hits they can't work into the main set? (One, ISHFWILF, formerly Streets, now BD.) To play some fan favourites to reward the audience? (Bad or 40 when they're done.) To make some sort of social or political point? (Mother And Child Reunion, the intro to COBL if not the song itself, formerly Streets.)

Perhaps a better encore would be a more spontaneous one. After running through two very heavily thematic sets, the encore should be entirely rotational - whatever they feel like playing that night, feeding off the crowd reaction. COBL can probably be dropped, move BD and One/ISHFWILF to somewhere in the main set because they "need" to be played, and use all the songs that are currently filtering through the various rotational slots to inform the encore. Then there's no need for a defined closer. One night it's Desire/Elevation/OOC because it's a bit of a loose fun-times show. Next it's THBAO/Gloria/40 because the early stuff went off. Angel/Stuck/AIWIY because it's a sort of singalong night. You get the idea. They probably wouldn't do it, but it would be cool. "You've just spent two hours following a big narrative with heavy themes, now let's have fun together for the last few songs."
I agree having a more "spontaneous" encore would be great. Also these nights when they play The Electric Co in the begining throw Out of Control into the encore. Things like that. Angel of Harlem in the encore would be great too. The encore should be one last party and if they want to end on a slow song that's fine but COBL and Beautiful Day don't cut it as an encore. Beautiful Day works way better early in the set i think. COBL should just take a break from the set alotogether in my opinion. Or maybe move it to the the set after the intermission and play it before Invisible. COBL would look great with the screen lowered and the band inside. I think it'd work way better there than encore opener.

You're suggesting closing the shows with in essence 4 slow songs in a row? No thanks.

maybe you're right. So why not something like this:

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
Elec. co/Gloria
2 Hearts/11 o clock
I Will Follow
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday (full band)
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World
----------------
Invisible
COBL
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Every Breaking Wave
October
Bullet The Blue Sky (Zooropa snippet)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
----
Beautiful day
Vertigo
one/Still haven't found
Bad/ All I want is you
With or without you
-----
Out Of Control/ New years day

Last edited:
I was discounting '40' because wasn't an original choice for a closer, unlike every other song since and including Walk On.

I just watched MekVox's video of ISHFWILF from Turin - I love the way The Edge plays the notes all the way until he is out of the arena. It is just a beautiful way to close, I've thought so every time I've streamed a show!

Of course I would love the band to pull out any and all tricks and surprises they can muster - but that is not the cause for the going public to attend the show. We are the trainspotters, as Bono puts it, and I realise that and remove that subjective part of myself when considering the shows.

While I agree that the encore in general and the closer in particular could use a lot of work, I do think Still Haven't Found has been performed very, very well this tour.

While not an ideal closer, it has worked has a closer. By miles and miles better than the atrocious One.

...which is why I wrote "if they can nail" it. Obviously at the moment it's not up to the task, and maybe it won't be, but I think the potential is there for it to hold down a LIB-like closing role if executed properly.

There really doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious candidate for a closer with a compelling reason for its use. I guess it's a question of how the band want to use the encore. To play some big hits they can't work into the main set? (One, ISHFWILF, formerly Streets, now BD.) To play some fan favourites to reward the audience? (Bad or 40 when they're done.) To make some sort of social or political point? (Mother And Child Reunion, the intro to COBL if not the song itself, formerly Streets.)

Perhaps a better encore would be a more spontaneous one. After running through two very heavily thematic sets, the encore should be entirely rotational - whatever they feel like playing that night, feeding off the crowd reaction. COBL can probably be dropped, move BD and One/ISHFWILF to somewhere in the main set because they "need" to be played, and use all the songs that are currently filtering through the various rotational slots to inform the encore. Then there's no need for a defined closer. One night it's Desire/Elevation/OOC because it's a bit of a loose fun-times show. Next it's THBAO/Gloria/40 because the early stuff went off. Angel/Stuck/AIWIY because it's a sort of singalong night. You get the idea. They probably wouldn't do it, but it would be cool. "You've just spent two hours following a big narrative with heavy themes, now let's have fun together for the last few songs."

Ax, excellent idea as always!!

Would be the best thing for this encore.

And in my opinion, the encore is the only part of this set that sticks out as badly needing an overhaul.

The rest of this set is spectacular.

The early day themes and songs -Gloria, October, Two Hearts, Out of Control, I Will Follow, Electric Co, 40, SBS- When is the last time this many songs from 1980-1983 got played on one tour?

The E Stage variety of songs- even if they could stand to rotate more in there.

The run through the hits building energy at the end of the main set.

They're doing a great job- but they can always do better.

And you always seem to have the best ideas for how they can do it, Ax:up:

Always enjoy reading your posts!

I think California could be a solid closer. They did it at the Roxy and based on the number of random gigs it's been played at it's a song they like but just has no natural place in the main set. Worth a shot at least, surprised it's only been played 3 times on tour.

California is a great song I just think edge couldn't find an arrangement he seemed fit to work live. He switched up the chorus a bit and to me it just sounded awkward. Best left on the album.

Going on Axver's idea...

The Miracle/Reach Around
11 O'Clock Tick/Electric Co/Gloria
Vertigo
IWF
Iris
Cedarwood Road
SFS
SBS
RBW
UTEOTW
~Wanderer intermission, don't fucking tease us with The Fly, just fucking play it you cunts~
Invisible
EBTTRT/The Fly
MWays/Discotheque
Crystal Ballroom-Miss You
Stay
EBW
October
Bullet
Zooropa-Streets
Pride
BD/COBL
WOWY-Shine Like Stars

Elevation
Desire/Angel of Harlem or
AIWIY
One-DoYouHearUsComing/ISHFWILF or
whatever

OOC
Bad-40

Better than Kite, Bad, One Tree Hill, Out of Control and All I Want Is You?

When did they close with Kite, Bad or One Tree Hill?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I saw One Tree Hill in person, July 2011 in Chicago. Kite was a pretty regular closer in Australia toward the end of the Vertigo tour. Bad closed a bunch of times on Vertigo and once on 360.

Last edited:
California is a great song I just think edge couldn't find an arrangement he seemed fit to work live. He switched up the chorus a bit and to me it just sounded awkward. Best left on the album.

I saw California played in person in Chicago, and they nailed it. Not only that but Te crowd responded better to that than any of the other new songs.

California sounded just fine at LA1. Definitely not best left on the album. Tweak that shit and liven up the set.

Ending with One Tree Hill totally worked in Chicago, thou...it may be 'cause of the fact that the song was a rarity.

When did they close with Kite, Bad or One Tree Hill?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Bad closed 15 shows on Vertigo, 1 on 360.
One Tree Hill closed 2 on Vertigo, 1 on 360
Kite closed 7 on Vertigo

But of course nothing will compete with Fast Cars in Boston 2005!

Bad closed 15 shows on Vertigo, 1 on 360.
One Tree Hill closed 2 on Vertigo, 1 on 360
Kite closed 7 on Vertigo

But of course nothing will compete with Fast Cars in Boston 2005!

i thought you were talking about Tracy Champan for a second.

I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have, across three consecutive shows in 2006, seen Bad close one, Kite the next, and One Tree Hill the third.

Sure, Australia got ripped off when it came to early material being played on Vertigo (the only leg of the tour to miss out on The Electric Co.), but it's fucking hard to sneeze at those closers.

I saw California played in person in Chicago, and they nailed it. Not only that but Te crowd responded better to that than any of the other new songs.

Interesting. I saw it in Vancouver and though it sounded great it fell completely flat with the crowd and was badly out of place in the setlist. I think it would work great in the encore

Back
Top Bottom