LA #4 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys, I saw the Rolling Stones last night in Columbus. Good show, for sure. But the setlist was literally a Greatest Hits show, with 2 Keith songs ("Happy" and "Before they make me run", which could be the considered the warhorses of the Keith Richards mini-set), and 1 new song, "Doom & Gloom", from a few years back. So it was ALL hits... and they only played 1 song released after 1981.

I'm thankful U2 change it up at all, and that they still have faith in their new material, and that they still have the fire and passion to even create new material. Last night, while the Stones show was good, it just felt like it had no purpose. There was no new material, it was just a band of old guys cranking out the hits to packed stadium, ensuring their great-grandchildren never have to work a day in their lives.

That all being said, I'll be slightly annoyed if "The Ocean/11:00 Tick Tock" never surfaces on the IE Tour.

i follow the stones over at iorr and you are absolutely right. back when the 50 and counting tour started in 2012, they were playing 2 (wow!) new songs (both weren't very good) and 23 total.

now they are stretching 19 songs over 2+ hours. keith still gets 2 songs and they do the introductions which take forever.

and this really sucks to admit, but i'm following tonight's show as if it's background noise.

Cedarwood is so damn good live

what's ridiculous is how the band has used U2 18 singles as a template for their setlist choices this tour

No songs from October (1981), Zooropa (1993), Pop (1997), or the 1995 Passengers project Original Soundtracks 1 are included.

only Sometimes, Walk On (stay away), and New Year's Day have yet to show up out of the first 16 tracks.

They like to rewrite their own history in this regard.

Guys, I saw the Rolling Stones last night in Columbus. Good show, for sure. But the setlist was literally a Greatest Hits show, with 2 Keith songs ("Happy" and "Before they make me run", which could be the considered the warhorses of the Keith Richards mini-set), and 1 new song, "Doom & Gloom", from a few years back. So it was ALL hits... and they only played 1 song released after 1981.

"Hang On Sloopy" for the first time about 50 years was cooler than any "rarity" U2 have done in 2015.

The Forum - Los Angeles, CA - May 31, 2015

---------- People Have the Power ----------
01 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
02 - The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / I Can See for Miles (snippet) / Break On Through (To the Other Side) [snippet]
03 - Vertigo
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - Song for Someone
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

i follow the stones over at iorr and you are absolutely right. back when the 50 and counting tour started in 2012, they were playing 2 (wow!) new songs (both weren't very good) and 23 total.

now they are stretching 19 songs over 2.5 hours. keith still gets 2 songs and they do the introductions which take forever.

and this really sucks to admit, but i'm following tonight's show as if it's background noise.

well....the Stones are at LEAST 20 years older than U2....we still have some time left before it turns into a greatest hits tour right?

The only thing more painful than knowing they probably won't play RTSS after rehearsing it heavily is knowing that the reason they won't play it is almost certainly because they refuse to put it anywhere except after Bullet and clearly (And OH SO VERY mistakenly) think the Hands / Pride transition is awesome.

Yeah I don't get this. I've said before that I think it's about time RTSS was tried in a different setlist position. It could work in the slot before EBW, for example, or how awesome would COBL/RTSS/Streets be!

"Hang On Sloopy" for the first time about 50 years was cooler than any "rarity" U2 have done in 2015.

this. was completely unexpected

what's hilarious is that if U2 added even New Year's Day this tour's setlist would become that much more exciting.

Ok this is my first time hearing this version of SBS, what's the general consensus on this version? It seems to lack a lot of punch...

Ok this is my first time hearing this version of SBS, what's the general consensus on this version? It seems to lack a lot of punch...

Opinions are very mixed. I think it works really well in the specific segment of the show. More like a quiet menace leading up into bombs and the next two world-ending rock.

Yeah I don't get this. I've said before that I think it's about time RTSS was tried in a different setlist position. It could work in the slot before EBW, for example, or how awesome would COBL/RTSS/Streets be!

That would be so great. (Though I wouldn't mind even if they restored it to its old spot because God, it's so much better than the awkward Hands crap.)

Although on second thought, it would only make it even more rage-inducing when Bono inevitably inserted a lengthy speech after RTSS.

02 - The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / I Can See for Miles (snippet) / Break On Through (To the Other Side) [snippet]
03 - Vertigo
04 - I Will Follow
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - Song for Someone
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
09 - Raised by Wolves

The only thing more painful than knowing they probably won't play RTSS after rehearsing it heavily is knowing that the reason they won't play it is almost certainly because they refuse to put it anywhere except after Bullet and clearly (And OH SO VERY mistakenly) think the Hands / Pride transition is awesome.

This is why I can't get too excited. I can't let my heart get hurt.

I think it's really powerful with the visuals and within the context of the show. definitely a highlight, and plus it gives Larry catwalk time!

well....the Stones are at LEAST 20 years older than U2....we still have some time left before it turns into a greatest hits tour right?

someone over on iorr made the comment that based on their ages, this tour is where the stones were age-wise in 97 (bridges to babylon tour)

03 - Vertigo
04 - I Will Follow
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - Song for Someone
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
09 - Raised by Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
10 - Until the End of the World

so do they play this same setlist throughout europe in the summer? and then change it up when they come back to the states next year.

Back
Top Bottom