LA #3 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a long time I used to think some of the POP lyrics were awful and irrelevant to what was going on in the song. Problem was I took them at surface level. Then, I started taking creative writing and copy workshops. Suddenly I understood what Bono was doing, and my enjoyment went way up.

Example: "You know you're chewing bubble gum". For years I took it as a silly, shallow, lazy line. I enjoyed it because it flowed with the music and figured it was supposed to be a fun throwaway. Chewing bubble gum, great.

After I learned creative writing, it made sense. There's layers of meaning behind it. And behind many of U2's lyrics that I'd previously been baffled at.

So, I see where both 2000 lovers and 90's lovers are coming from.

Man the complaining is really bringing me down.

Of course I hope they play more rarities than hits. What fan wouldn't? At the same time I am just happy to be there. Up close, lots of energy and great crowd feedback for great songs.

Tonight I'd like to see more diversity, but again it's hard to complain when you are seeing your favorite band for the first time in five years, even when they break out the hits.

Maybe I'm just different in the fact that I don't care as much about the set list rather I'm just grateful in seeing my favorite band live after 4-5 years. And this tour with the set up and light screen and cat walk and everything is really just phenomenal. Are you going to a show? I'm literally curious as to why so many people are just bitching about the set list. If you saw them live on this tour .. and same with everyone else .. I think the complaining would stop. It's easy to complain if you're not there.

Well I'm glad to read this post, as I'm really trying to convince myself to go to a show, but I'm having a hard time justifying it. With the way the tour is set up, only playing multiple shows in a few cities, I would have to fly somewhere to see a show, spend the night at a hotel, and pay for the ticket of course. This is easily a $500+ commitment.

But as someone who doesn't love the new album, and really isn't too excited to hear the new songs live, it is a shame the rest of the songs are all songs they have played a million times the last two tours which I have already seen. It seems like if they are going to be lazy and make fans spend a lot of money to come to them to see a show, it would be the ideal time to change things up a bit when they play 5 or 6 shows in the same city. Yet, besides the new songs, they are only playing songs they are comfortable playing, which have been played to death recently.

The stage looks interesting, but the screen to the sides seems weird. If you are a fan that bought a ticket with a direct view of the stage because you thought it would give you the best view of the show, you are pretty much screwed. And it seems like you have to chose between looking at the screen and looking at the band half the time, instead of both at once where they compliment each other. Maybe I am wrong here though...

As someone who is a big fan, it really seems like U2 is on cruise control this tour, and I really don't know if it will be worth it to fly to another city to see a show. But, your post gives me some hope that maybe it would be worth it.

I agree with Sicy...the sets are terrible, consistently the least interesting of their career IMO, but that didn't stop me from having fun. Not even close. In fact, my favorite part of the set involves SOI songs that I don't even like on the album.

The screen is awesome as long as you dedicate a show to it. Just hang out off to the side, behind the red zone and you'll see it great. Then dedicate a second show to getting a rail spot. The two sets won't be exactly the same and you'll see the show two different ways.

Last edited:
I agree with Sicy...the sets are terrible, consistently the least interesting of their career IMO, but that didn't stop me from having fun. Not even close. In fact, my favorite part of the set involves SOI songs that I don't even like on the album.

The screen is awesome as long as you dedicate a show to it. Just hang out off to the side, behind the red zone and you'll see it great. Then dedicate a second show to getting a rail spot. The two sets won't be exactly the same and you'll see the show two different ways.

That's my plan for tonight! Was right up close, pretty much rail on right on the main stage of Adam's side and had an amazing time. One of my favorite U2 shows...great experience. Tonight we are in the stands from the side with a great view of the screen. Very excited.

LA1/LA2/LA3 has had 30 unique songs.

Given all the "2 unique shows", "24-26 songs per night" and "60 songs" type press I have to admit it's on the skimpy side of things, especially when those were selling points to help move tickets whether December or late May pushes final shows in a couple markets that needed and extra push to sell out.

No joke, I really think we are all coming together in this thread. At least trying to see the other POV.

If they play _____ tonight, i'll be so _____ .

Fill in the blanks and let's enjoy life. Before it's over...

Well I'm glad to read this post, as I'm really trying to convince myself to go to a show, but I'm having a hard time justifying it. With the way the tour is set up, only playing multiple shows in a few cities, I would have to fly somewhere to see a show, spend the night at a hotel, and pay for the ticket of course. This is easily a $500+ commitment.

But as someone who doesn't love the new album, and really isn't too excited to hear the new songs live, it is a shame the rest of the songs are all songs they have played a million times the last two tours which I have already seen. It seems like if they are going to be lazy and make fans spend a lot of money to come to them to see a show, it would be the ideal time to change things up a bit when they play 5 or 6 shows in the same city. Yet, besides the new songs, they are only playing songs they are comfortable playing, which have been played to death recently.

The stage looks interesting, but the screen to the sides seems weird. If you are a fan that bought a ticket with a direct view of the stage because you thought it would give you the best view of the show, you are pretty much screwed. And it seems like you have to chose between looking at the screen and looking at the band half the time, instead of both at once where they compliment each other. Maybe I am wrong here though...

As someone who is a big fan, it really seems like U2 is on cruise control this tour, and I really don't know if it will be worth it to fly to another city to see a show. But, your post gives me some hope that maybe it would be worth it.

It definitely sounds like waiting for the next leg is a better investment for you. The new songs work great live, but if you don't like them, they are still a huge part of the setlist. But to clarify one thing:

If you are a fan that bought a ticket with a direct view of the stage because you thought it would give you the best view of the show, you are pretty much screwed.

The screen is cool and all, but its hardly the focal point of the show. It's like a sprinkles on top, not the whole sundae.

No joke, I really think we are all coming together in this thread. At least trying to see the other POV.

If they play _____ tonight, i'll be so _____ .

Fill in the blanks and let's enjoy life. Before it's over...

Agreed.

The disappointment with La3 for me isn't the songs they played, it is the lack of imagination for a third show in a city. On vertigo for show 3s they were opening with LAPOE - elevation they were going into the fly, pride, mwahs etc straight up and leaving the early songs til late.

It's about lack of imagination to provide a point of difference

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The disappointment with La3 for me isn't the songs they played, it is the lack of imagination for a third show in a city. On vertigo for show 3s they were opening with LAPOE - elevation they were going into the fly, pride, mwahs etc straight up and leaving the early songs til late.

It's about lack of imagination to provide a point of difference

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think by changing the opener, it really gives the impression of a very different night even if they just change a few other songs around. I would love if they tried different openers (Reach me now would be ace and Volcano or California can work too).

With that said, it is still very early in the tour and perhaps they will change things up by the time it roll around to say... NY(my show ;) )

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

11 O'Clock Tick Tock is not a cohesive song?

What does that even mean? It's an utterly brilliant song. Sticking to the lyrics alone... Bono hasn't written lyrics as good as on that track in a long, long time.

"We thought that we had the answers... it was the questions we had wrong" is a terrific lyric alone.

It means that the song is abstract and doesn't have a narrative flow.

"We thought that we had the answers... it was the questions we had wrong" is no better than "there's no end to grief, thats how I know and why I need to know that there is no end to love".

ooohhhohooooooo boy if djerdap sees that yer fucked.

the thing I've noticed about setlists is that if today's show springs a couple surprises (let's just say TGBHF and Bad) everyone will be super happy.

I know I was disappointed after the first show but then I was super excited to see the second show's setlist. swingz and roundaboutz

Yeah, it is funny how a rare-ish song popping up as a tour debut gets fan ecstasy but when the same song pops up for the third or fourth time, it's old news. Makes sense of course but still funny.

It would have seemed unimaginable in 2005 for instance that a set could have TUF and UV but be pretty dull.

Hilariously passive aggressive moment from last night:

:bono: Are you from Ireland, David?

David: (wearing an Ireland shirt with a shamrock on it) uhhhh no....

:bono: That's a very nice shirt, David.

Hilariously passive aggressive moment from last night:

:bono: Are you from Ireland, David?

David: (wearing an Ireland shirt with a shamrock on it) uhhhh no....

:bono: That's a very nice shirt, David.

Bono looked like he kinda wanted to shake that kid.

ooohhhohooooooo boy if djerdap sees that yer fucked.

the thing I've noticed about setlists is that if today's show springs a couple surprises (let's just say TGBHF and Bad) everyone will be super happy.

I know I was disappointed after the first show but then I was super excited to see the second show's setlist. swingz and roundaboutz

The thing is, I like both lines! But with 35 years between songs, Bono is still writing couplets that are oppositional in nature.

If I saw LA 3, I'd have been wrapped. I would have longed to hear Bad, or 40, or the rarity that is 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - but I would have loved the show regardless, because I just want to see U2 live.

It isn't that we shouldn't all have opinions or favourites, its that a U2 show is a singular entity. To judge it in the context of an entire tour is unreasonable and unfair on ourselves. Once again, I reiterate: we are following this by-proxy thanks to paying ticket holders and technology. We are privileged to have this access, not at a loss because their shows are static.

If Zoomerang doesn't want to see a show because they're playing songs he doesn't like for example, that is a shame but he has that option. At least he can make that informed decision. If he didn't have the information at his fingertips, he'd spend money on seeing a show and would wind up disappointed. This is a reality - ZooTV, Popmart, those days are gone. I'm choosing to appreciate the present, while we have it.

Chizip, good to see you. Honestly I was not even excited about this tour until I actually walked into the venue. Then I fan girled all over again. I saw my two shows near me and for the first time ever I actually considered jumping on a plane and going to the next show it was that good for me.

I feel like they will come back around and it some other spots of the U.S. that they didn't hit this time and I totally recommend spending the time and money to see them at least once on this tour.

Also like others have been speculating, this could very well be their last tour. I think its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom