Glasgow #2 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So emotional right now. My 3rd I&E show and smashed the others to pieces. Cried like a baby at the start of Bad. Fuck! This band, and the effect it has had, and continues to have, on my life?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Really like how they've switched up the "40" arrangement since LA. Much more minimal, and I love it.

I'm for counting The Fly as a separate song, but differentiate it from the regular song by calling it "The Fly (Intermission)" like how Edge Karaoke songs on PopMart were listed as such.

So the rumour was that they would start at 8.15 and we would hear a preview of the new album tonight. Bono said this to fans today, so I guess Bono lies:lol:

Not sure that's Axver doing Twitter today but if so, there you go. :D

well I do trust historians after all

Ah, it's Matkin doing Twitter right now, says he could get overruled later. (presumably by the master :wink:)

:lol:

I'm for counting The Fly as a separate song, but differentiate it from the regular song by calling it "The Fly (Intermission)" like how Edge Karaoke songs on PopMart were listed as such.

Funny thing is, I've been thinking of getting rid of that so that Edge's karaoke songs on Popmart are listed together with non-karaoke performances/snippets of those songs. It also mucks up the stats a little, in that it looks like U2 have performed live one more song that they actually have, because the same song gets counted twice based on whether or not it was "karaoke". (How about a new listing: "One [crowd karaoke]"? :wink: )

I'm really not sure what to do. I'm inclined to count it - after all, we count Crazy Tonight even though that was a shit-tonne of backing tracks and very different to the few performances of it album-style. And then there's Numb, which was basically just Edge karaoke, or to be ungenerous, Lemon was more taped than live. But I do want some sort of way to indicate to readers this was neither anything near a full performance of The Fly, nor a purely taped intermission... UGH U2 WHY DO YOU MAKE THIS DIFFICULT.

I'm really not sure what to do. I'm inclined to count it - after all, we count Crazy Tonight even though that was a shit-tonne of backing tracks and very different to the few performances of it album-style. And then there's Numb, which was basically just Edge karaoke, or to be ungenerous, Lemon was more taped than live. But I do want some sort of way to indicate to readers this was neither anything near a full performance of The Fly, nor a purely taped intermission... UGH U2 WHY DO YOU MAKE THIS DIFFICULT.

They should really just playing a full version of The Fly live to make this easy.

If you count it I will murder your entire family. This disgusting intermission copout bullshit tease they are doing is annoying as fuck. It's one of your greatest live songs you cunts.

My Facebook is abuzz with several friends who were there and are saying that this was the best U2 show ever that they've seen. And these are people who have seen 60, 80, 100 shows going back to the early 80s, so that's saying something.

My Facebook is abuzz with several friends who were there and are saying that this was the best U2 show ever that they've seen. And these are people who have seen 60, 80, 100 shows going back to the early 80s, so that's saying something.

On paper, (if you include The Fly, especially), the setlist was amazing.
Gloria, October, Bad, 40, The Fly, Zooropa, New songs, Bullet, Desire electric, etc.
Sure we all want full band The Fly, more 90's songs, and more variation in some spots, but the set list is pretty darn good if you ask me.
That's not even delving into the fact that's it's a U2 show and the visuals, etc.

Wow, The Fly with vocals! I guess this is something they'll do for the HBO Paris show as an interval with a prerecorded song doesn't make for great TV.

All I can say is wow what a fucking show, wasn't expecting to get Gloria, bad and 40 at all, great show, great crowd gutted it's all over!!

All I can say is wow what a fucking show, wasn't expecting to get Gloria, bad and 40 at all, great show, great crowd gutted it's all over!!

When I heard Larry start up Gloria,I about exploded! What a gig. If the other shows have been half as good as that,it has been some tour.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

When I heard Larry start up Gloria,I about exploded! What a gig. If the other shows have been half as good as that,it has been some tour.

Agreed I was starting to get a bit worried by the static sets but when you see it all in person fuck me, band and crowd where literally as one there last night

It's a different thing reading set lists and saying oh God not that song again. But after being there and witnessing the passion from the crowd and the band,there is not one thing I would change from last night.

Agreed I was starting to get a bit worried by the static sets but when you see it all in person fuck me, band and crowd where literally as one there last night
The static sets haven't been bothering me that much cause they are fucking great. Glad you guys had a great time!

It's a different thing reading set lists and saying oh God not that song again. But after being there and witnessing the passion from the crowd and the band,there is not one thing I would change from last night.

:up:

Me too. I was there with my sister, who says she has never seen me react to anything like that before. A little context is necessary though - I posted this on Zootopia, but it's worth repeating 'cos I just feel amazing about that experience...

...I am still buzzing from last night.

For the last week, I've been tweeting to @u2 asking them to play Gloria and 40.

I had seen them 16 times - 1st was Leeds on Zooropa in 1993 and last one before yesterday was Rome in 2010. I had never seen them play either song, probably the only two left on my "bucket list". I knew from all the setlists so far in Europe that the pattern meant we were unlikely to get those songs, but I tried anyway.

This was my only show of this tour, compared to 7 on 360, though I got married and had children in-between! It would have been awesome for them to pull out those songs for the 2nd Glasgow gig, so I tried. Very nicely, tweeting pretty much everyday this week, asking gently if they could please include Gloria and 40 on Saturday night in Glasgow.

I have no idea whether anyone in the U2 organisation would have seen my tweets. I'm sure they get 1000s of notifications and don't read everything.

I have no idea whether anything like this would ever be passed onto the band.

I have no idea whether they would ever act on something like this.

But they did play those songs and it WAS a rare setlist, particularly in a city which only got two shows.

I went explosively nuts when Larry started the drum intro to Gloria! Regardless of whether anyone could have influenced the setlist, let alone me and my tweets, it was an incredible pleasure to see and hear them play those songs for the first time live. I will always remember that experience. It was an outstanding gig anyway - the energy in the room was incredible - but this was the icing on the cake.

Thanks U2 for making this fan's night.

Have to agree with the comments about last night being something special. Went with my wife - and we also went to Friday's show. These were our first shows of the I&E tour. I was looking forward to returning (almost) to the venue of my first U2 show (Glasgow's neighbouring SECC where I saw Zoo TV in June of '92) but felt something was just missing on Friday. The band were playing great, Bono's voice was recovered quite a bit from recent croakiness but the spirit wasn't quite in the house. Last night thankfully was something else. I sang my heart out along with all the rest of the crowd - we were GA by the E-stage but you could see seats at the rafters had people standing and very much joining in.

An absolutely magical night last night and honestly every bit as good as that first gig I saw back in '92. :applaud:

I was there last night and it is easily in my top 5 all time since 84. Im getting chills now just typing this.
My god, it was :applaud::ohmy::hyper::love::yippie:

Right from 'Miracle' , the energy emenating from the whole crowd was gigantic, the loudest i've heard it the whole tour including Chicago, New York, London and Amsterdam . I knew at that moment this is EXACTLY why I used my presale code on Glasgow and this was going to be a very , very special night and even that doesn't do it justice. Wow, just wow! Nothing else I can say but do everything you can possibly do to afford to go to Dublin and catch this precious lightning in a bottle experience that seems to happen at Celtic shows ( Scotland, Wales and Ireland) . I may be changing marital status if I end up going :madwife:

This was my only show of this tour, compared to 7 on 360, though I got married and had children in-between! It would have been awesome for them to pull out those songs for the 2nd Glasgow gig, so I tried. Very nicely, tweeting pretty much everyday this week, asking gently if they could please include Gloria and 40 on Saturday night in Glasgow.
/QUOTE]

I only saw one U2 show this year (my 11th since 1997), and my reason is the same as yours. During the very end of 360 my wife was pregnant, and now we have two kids! I love having a family, but it sure does change things. I'm sad that I only got to see one show this year, but it was a good one (Chicago 5, July 2nd). I also got to see Gloria, Bad and 40 that night, as well as a rare performance of "California" (who the hell thought that would be a rarity?). It was a great show, I like this tour much better than Vertigo and 360, and about equal to Elevation. Next year I will see them more than once, I don't care if I have to go by myself.

This show is literally going to take some getting over, special special night

I'm sure it's great in person but I just a clip of WOWY/LWTUA/Shine Like Stars... it just cracks the five-minute mark. The studio version is nearly five and classic live versions of WOWY extend beyond that. From afar, it looks like Bono couldn't give a remote shit.

I'm sure it's great in person but I just a clip of WOWY/LWTUA/Shine Like Stars... it just cracks the five-minute mark. The studio version is nearly five and classic live versions of WOWY extend beyond that. From afar, it looks like Bono couldn't give a remote shit.
It's my favourite song of all times by anyone, and yeah, aside from the "fucking HELLFIRE" of a shine like stars snippet, it was a perfunctory singalong, emotional as it made me. Delivery is cabaret.

Back
Top Bottom