Amsterdam #1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised they haven't tried a Happy Birthday segue into Streets yet. That would be epic and put RTSS, Please, Bad, etc to shame.

:drool:

btw I hope they do figure out something with the closer by the end of this leg.
and at least start rotating cobl if not entirely replacing it
but I got to say setlist evolves in the best way it could these days

Last edited:
Ok, just came back from an amazing concert and now that i got to see the real deal instead of listening to a stream or watching youtube I want to share some of my thoughts about the setlist..

First the positive...

A lot!!!!
The screen, songselection, crowd interaction..great!
October, bullet, zooropa, streets, pride is amazing..
Two hearts beat as one..what can I say other than I felt 16 again listening to war.

With that in mind riding the train back I came up with a setliet that excludes the (IMHO) weak parts and there aren't many..for me there are three things that need change and some songs need to be added.

First of all. The miracle of Joey remind is the worst opener of a U2 concert I have seen since the day I went to my first concert which was 1990...

My idea was to let bono open with the oh oh oh'is bring in guitar, drum bass and stop before the first verse comes...then switch into out of control and start with 4 old rock songs
Second: the two songs with two times an "s" and a letter in between are the downer if the night.SBS needs to be played in full rockmode at a high pace...end with an acoustic part and Larry's drum but don't base the song around it...it feels flat..I see what they are trying to do but IMO it just doesn't work..people want to jump to this song and scream their longs out..it feels campfire..

The song before that needs to go..I am sorry, it just isn't working live eve though I really like it as a song it just feels flat..combined with Sunday this is a weak part of an amazing first set..I would end the set with NYC (I will be with you again feels appropriate and the wall coming down feels fitting too..

The second set is solid..elevation is a surprising crowd favorite..can't stand the song but everyone was jumping up and down haha..Now for the changes in this set..wowy feels weird after pride which should end the set..at first I thought it would be best the end the night with it but then I thought of something else..why not play every breaking wave-all I want is you/bad-wowy...then go to the epic war sequence followed by streets and pride

The setliet would look like this

People have the power
Ramone intro into out if control
Elec.co/Gloria/two hearts
Vertigo
I will follow
Iris
Cedarwood road
SBS
Wolves
Uteotw
Nyd
-----
Invisible
Real thing
Mysterious ways
Aoh/wlctt/two hearts/desire etc
Every breaking wave
All I want is you/bad
Wowy
October
Bullet/zooropa
Streets
Pride
----
CObl
Bd
One/ishfwialf
----
11 o clock
40 (some nights)

26 songs which all have been played or rehearsed and I think this would kick ass.

I had a great time tonight no doubt about it but I really do think this would be the perfect setlist this tour given the songs they have played or rehearsed

What do you think axver:wave:

My lower back is still killing me but meh, didn't reallly like the setlist at all tonight, especially that block of new songs. First time ever that I got a bit bored during the show, me not liking almost any song of the new CD is the cause I guess :p I even found myself craving Walk On and Magnificent after those 4 new songs in a row (excluding the boring rendition of SBL), which I never thought I would say after the 360 tour.

That little bit of Zooropa was by far the best moment for me. Hoping for Bad now on one of the other days I go to in Holland, that little 2sec tease of Bad when the guy was soundtesting a guitar 10mins before U2 went on stage was sneaky and a jerkmove :p

Last edited:
First of all. The miracle of Joey remind is the worst opener of a U2 concert I have seen since the day I went to my first concert which was 1990...

You saw Breathe, didn't you? The Miracle is definitely a step up from that dreadful opener.

I agree that Song For Someone isn't flash though. I think it would at least be a bit better if slightly moved in the set - do it before Cedarwood, not after. Right now it's awkward between two rather dark songs, Cedarwood and SBS.

What do you think axver:wave:

Yeah I'd enjoy that more too. However I think they're keen on keeping EBW and October together for staging purposes with the piano. So maybe move AIWIY/Bad and WOWY to before EBW.

And they're not going to stop playing the full version of the lead single. Even if they were to use its intro as a show opener into another song, the full version would be played later in the set.

This concert wasn't quite as bad as the other night but still pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G928P using U2 Interference mobile app

Out of Control. Great crowd... I think that was the most packed I've seen a GA section yet this tour.

This concert wasn't quite as bad as the other night but still pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G928P using U2 Interference mobile app

:up: For real, what a bad show. Why did they drop Hands for this Zooropa crap? Luckily, I could barely even hear Zooropa due to the crowd chanting "We want Hands That Built America". The band is really out of touch with their audience. :down:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

First of all. The miracle of Joey remind is the worst opener of a U2 concert I have seen since the day I went to my first concert which was 1990..
:lol: So I can assume you didn't see them on the 360 tour or you've simply chosen to remove Breathe as an opener from your memory. The Miracle is just fine as an opener. Breathe was terrible.

I'd say The Miracle is about as good as Elevation and Vertigo were at opening.
Personally, I think Invisible would be a better opener while sliding The Miracle to #2. Then they should open set 2 with Reach Me Now.

Did he sing Happy Birthday to Willie Williams?

I seem to remember WW mentioning his birthday being the same day as the Sheffield 360 gig, which was August the 20 something :huh:

Yep I remember them singing happy bday to him at the Sheffield 360 show

Can't wait for Bono to sing Happy Birthday to Adam tomorrow.

Yeah I'd enjoy that more too. However I think they're keen on keeping EBW and October together for staging purposes with the piano. So maybe move AIWIY/Bad and WOWY to before EBW.

well they have two piano's so that shouldnt be a problem (play EBW on the E-stage and October on the main stage)

it would make sense thematicaly to play it like this

EBW-AIWIY-WOWY (love)
October-Bullet(War)
Streets-Pride(hope)
COBL-BD (joy)

regarding my post earlier about the setlist and specifically the miracle of joey ramone..

What I think would be beyond epic is when they would play the second part of people have the power themselves as the first song and then follow up with the miracle..how cool would it be if bono would sing the last verse and chorus while walking up on stage and the band rocks that tune..would be a fantastic opener also considering the " world theme" they seem to be going for..would love to hear them play it..can you imagine everyone in the arena singing people have the power along with bono..now that is an opener :drool:

and I think it would make the ramonesong 10 times better

You mean channelling the spirit of the JT Tour when they'd sometimes come on to the PA music of Stand By Me and take over live? That could be cool.

You saw Breathe, didn't you? The Miracle is definitely a step up from that dreadful opener.

I really like the album cut of Breathe and would say it's easily my 2nd favorite song on that album. There is a lot going on in it that I really like, which makes up for the JuJu man and his Cockatoo...oh, and those Chinese stocks.

With that said, all that I love about the album cut is missing for me when played live. It just fell a bit flat, wouldn't say it was dreadful but just not "opener" worthy.

I did however find that the initial minute or so with Larry walking out alone and starting the drums was pretty cool. All in all, I would agree that it is probably one of their worst openers.

You mean channelling the spirit of the JT Tour when they'd sometimes come on to the PA music of Stand By Me and take over live? That could be cool.

Exactely:hyper:

I just can not get the thought5 out of my head how epic this would sound..I mean..the crowd would be pumped and then you start Ramone then 3 classics and everyone is on board

That's your opener right there :)

And dropping sfs, playing SBS rock version and end your first set with NYC would make it infinitely better and an absolutely epic first set. One can dream but it doesn't take that much adjustment..oh well, had a great time

Last edited:
I'll agree, I think the issues reside in SFS (which, as noted above, easy fix...move before Cedarwood or add Two Hearts in before/after it), the awkward Pride/WOWY segue (just throw in AIWIY or the Troubles there), and especially the encore. the biggest problem being the encore, which the crowd of course goes nuts for, but it feels uninspired and all "oh let's just play our uplifting songs right here at the end"

throw Bad in there after BD and it does step up a notch, at least.

Sunday, Miracle, Cedarwood,I will Follow, Mysterious Ways all of them very easily replacable.

giphy.gif

great song :up:

hope GA went nuts :D

Aye that we did. I was so surprised how many people knew all the lyrics to that tune. :lol: Does help the average age of the crowd must've been around 40, but I was still impressed! Was halfway the floor and everybody around me sang along and danced and everything.

Back
Top Bottom