2015 U2 Tour News - delivered to Interference.com first and exclusively

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's a relevant factor and that's all I meant :shrug:

Having done shows in unbearable heat (Anaheim) I know weather plays a role. Adding the usual disclaimer: For me, in my opinion, etc.

Sure. We're used to cold and nasty weather here :lol:

Seriously, I don't mind waiting in decent weather conditions either.

Larry confirmed in the Q&A on that Unpluged session in Germany that there'll be multiple shows per city, with different setlists each nights

I HAVE TO GO TO THOSE FIRSTS NIGHTS!! :hyper:

U2 Log just tweeted about what they are hearing for North America:

U2log.com @U2log 1m1 minute ago
U2 are planning to begin the tour in North America in INDOOR ARENAS next spring.
U2 are planning RESIDENCY GIGS. They will set up camp in a city & play multiple shows in same venue. They'll play as many shows as they sell
A residency in a city could last for weeks. Shows wouldn't necessarily be days in a row because of venue scheduling & Bono's voice breaks
U2 are looking to play 7 cities in North America. Toronto was the only city mentioned as being one. Not sure if it will be the opener

This is consisting with Elvis' info and is making me very, very excited! :hyper:

It will be disappointing for those not living in the 7 cities, though.

This is consisting with Elvis' info and is making me very, very excited! :hyper:

Damn...

This would be crazy. I mean what other option do I have than to go to all shows in a city? Ha. Unfortunately where I'll be in the summer (SLC) is an unlikely spot for them.

If that's true, that is crazy.

Edit: although didn't Larry just say something about "first night setlist different from second night." That really does make it sound more like two nights in a bunch of cities, rather than "weeks-long" residencies.

And how the hell do you book a tour across multiple cities/countries if the length of the "residencies" depend on how many tickets they sell?

Would an arena hold a week (or 18) for U2 just in case they decide they'll play 3 weeks instead of 5?

I'm suspicious.

Someone on the Coachella message board had mentioned they'd heard about a potential U2 residency at the Forum. People over there have been speculating that U2 are headlining this year. However, given the Livenation contract, I imagine it would be unlikely they'd book Coachella unless Goldenvoice paid them an obscene amount of money. As much as I'd love to see U2 on the polo fields, I'm much rather see many shows at the Forum. :drool:

7 cities if we know 1 is Toronto.
Pretty safe that LA, NY, Chicago are there, that leaves 3 more.
Would guess Boston, San Francisco, Philly, DC, Seattle, Vancouver and Montreal all as possibilities for the final 3 stops.

Also would assume that they'd tour other cities besides the 7 and just do 1 night in those cities, maybe 2 in some.

I can't imagine they'd do more than one PNW city. It would be Seattle or Vancouver, not both. (I vote Seattle! ... but am still totally skeptical.)

I can't imagine they'd do more than one PNW city. It would be Seattle or Vancouver, not both. (I vote Seattle! ... but am still totally skeptical.)
Oh I agree, just saying that 3 of those cities I listed seem like good guesses for the final 3, obviously it won't be both Seattle and Vancouver.

I'd bet Boston, SF and one of the PNW cities.

7 cities? That's insane. Reminds me of that 6x6 rumor that surfaced a while back (6 cities getting 6 shows each or something like that).

Seriously, though ... how the hell would that work to schedule a whole tour like that advance?

It actually makes it easier to schedule since they have to work around the NBA and NHL schedules. Doing that for 7 cities is easier than their normal arena tours in the US.

I'm really curious to see if this actually happens. At minimum, I love that they are already talking about multiple setlists.

It actually makes it easier to schedule since they have to work around the NBA and NHL schedules. Doing that for 7 cities is easier than their normal arena tours in the US.

I'm really curious to see if this actually happens. At minimum, I love that they are already talking about multiple setlists.

Ah, okay.

It'll be easier to spend less money if they do it a "normal" way. I mean, if they do 18 shows in Seattle, I'll feel the need to go to them all. :wink:

The arenas won't just block out their schedules for 2 weeks for U2 residencies. On the days that U2 don't play, the stage will be loaded out and other events will happen in the arena. This is a fairly common practice. It's why U2's shows in Chicago 2005 were May 7, 9, 10, 12. Or why Boston was May 24,26 and 28. Or why the 2 Philadelphia shows were a week apart. The arenas have to schedule around NBA or NHL games, and things like playoff games are at this point unknown.

Last year the Rolling Stones announced a show for LA Staples Center, but didn't know which date it would be on, depending on playoff schedules. I think tickets were even sold with the understanding that the show might be on Friday or Saturday, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Given how hectic touring is, I can see the band getting behind this residency (in only 7 cities) idea. Doesn't make sense from a coverage point of view, but given their ages....yea, I can believe that this could be something they are actually considering.

The arenas won't just block out their schedules for 2 weeks for U2 residencies. On the days that U2 don't play, the stage will be loaded out and other events will happen in the arena. This is a fairly common practice. It's why U2's shows in Chicago 2005 were May 7, 9, 10, 12. Or why Boston was May 24,26 and 28. Or why the 2 Philadelphia shows were a week apart. The arenas have to schedule around NBA or NHL games, and things like playoff games are at this point unknown.

Last year the Rolling Stones announced a show for LA Staples Center, but didn't know which date it would be on, depending on playoff schedules. I think tickets were even sold with the understanding that the show might be on Friday or Saturday, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Plus they could use alternate arenas, like the rumor trojanchick mentioned about the Forum in LA. Lakers, Clippers and Kings all use Staples, so Forum would eliminate logistical scheduling issues. If needed they could play Worcester instead of Boston, and Seattle has no NBA or NHL team to schedule around. Its do-able for sure, now let's see what actually unfolds.

So based on Larry's comments about setlists .... that means 16 different setlists! Whooo!

iBzVLFG_zpsae6301ce.gif

7 cities if we know 1 is Toronto.
Pretty safe that LA, NY, Chicago are there, that leaves 3 more.
Would guess Boston, San Francisco, Philly, DC, Seattle, Vancouver and Montreal all as possibilities for the final 3 stops.

Also would assume that they'd tour other cities besides the 7 and just do 1 night in those cities, maybe 2 in some.
LA, NYC, Chicago and Toronto are guaranteed.

If they stick to 7 cities, I think there's a chance that DC will be skipped, and Boston could be the second Northeastern city.
They'll probably go for Vancouver instead of Seattle.
Montréal, Philly and the Bay Area might not get any shows (just like the first leg of U2360º), and maybe they'll add a city like Atlanta, Houston or Dallas for those in the South.

LA, NYC, Chicago and Toronto are guaranteed.

If they stick to 7 cities, I think there's a chance that DC will be skipped, and Boston could be the second Northeastern city.
They'll probably go for Vancouver instead of Seattle.
Montréal, Philly and the Bay Area might not get any shows (just like the first leg of U2360º), and maybe they'll add a city like Atlanta, Houston or Dallas for those in the South.

But it would be easier to schedule Seattle given there's no NBA or NHL.

Plus they could use alternate arenas, like the rumor trojanchick mentioned about the Forum in LA. Lakers, Clippers and Kings all use Staples, so Forum would eliminate logistical scheduling issues. If needed they could play Worcester instead of Boston, and Seattle has no NBA or NHL team to schedule around. Its do-able for sure, now let's see what actually unfolds.

Worcester's arena is pretty bad. No room to breathe. The lower level (which is easily 80% of the total capacity) has TWO men's bathrooms with three toilets each.

That being said, it's 45 minutes away from me. So if that's what I have to endure, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom