2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was buying stuff during The Miracle (after seeing it 3 times from GA, and me being in a seat this time, I could afford the time tu buy presents). Then I started to walk up the stairs and THE ELECTRIC CO started playing and I'm like HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT!!!

I swear to you I was about to dive in from the 2nd floor to the floor :sad:

Last night I was buying stuff during The Miracle (after seeing it 3 times from GA, and me being in a seat this time, I could afford the time tu buy presents). Then I started to walk up the stairs and THE ELECTRIC CO started playing and I'm like HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT!!!

That reminds me of the time I was so drunk at a Packers game that I fell up the stairs and then got a standing ovation from an entire row for saving the hot dogs I was carrying.

Someone on another board said the real trouble with The Troubles (stupid pun, but it fits) might have been Bono having a hard time trying to stay in sync with the video and the band playing. From the videos of Vancouver I that I saw it indeed seems that he's struggling a bit. Maybe they can try and play the alternative version without having to feature a video of Lykke Li where Bono has to sing along. And then put it in a different place in the set. It would be a shame to see it go forever after only one appearance.

I wouldn´t mind dropping End Of The World either. It´s been overplayed through the years. Why not replacing it with Boy Fall From The Sky if you want a great rocker and something fresh...

are you out of your fucking mind? :)

:lol:

Someone on another board said the real trouble with The Troubles (stupid pun, but it fits) might have been Bono having a hard time trying to stay in sync with the video and the band playing. From the videos of Vancouver I that I saw it indeed seems that he's struggling a bit. Maybe they can try and play the alternative version without having to feature a video of Lykke Li where Bono has to sing along. And then put it in a different place in the set. It would be a shame to see it go forever after only one appearance.

Troubles is definitely a closer. It is a bit of a cliché in U2 set, but it would work maybe as good as Moment Of Surrender last tour.

Troubles is definitely a closer. It is a bit of a cliché in U2 set, but it would work maybe as good as Moment Of Surrender last tour.

How is it a cliche in the set? It doesn't sound like much they have ever done?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last night (SJC2) was my 51st show back to ZooTV indoor era.

Incredible. The floor experience in this tour is astounding. I arrived on the floor 5 min before show time and was 2 back from the rail near the intersection of the round stage and the catwalk on Adam's side. And Bono spent 60 percent of the show there facing the Adam side mainly.

Astoundingly emotional show. I can't wait for NYC.

They've outdone themselves

Plus I saw Bad and Electric Co. So holy shiiite

One down note - Streets doesn't have the oomph it used to. Someone mentioned here that Larry isn't syncopating the count-in as well. I noticed too. It's not as aggressive a drum line as prior tours.

Yeah, I think that would be a valid response. UTEOTW is a monster, and one of the few warhorses that they never seem to coast through, at least as far as I've heard.

I've never even heard it derided as a warhorse though - it's just a song that deserves to be in the set. It's U2's unheralded gem.

I've actually found it interesting that UTEOTW has had a permanent place in the set at the start of this tour, because it didn't have that on the last two tours. On Vertigo, it was only played four times across the entire first two legs (I was lucky enough to be at two of those shows); it returned halfway through the third leg and only became a regular from then. On 360, it took almost a month to appear in the setlist (again I was lucky and saw its tour debut), and it was only played sporadically across the first and second legs - it became a fixture on the second half of the second leg, but didn't become an "every night even in cities with multiple shows" song until a month into the third leg.

Assuming it remains in the next four sets, its performance at the second LA show will be its 500th. That's enough to put it 11th in the list of U2 songs played the most live, but it's still well behind the likes of One, Streets, Bullet, WOWY, and especially the pacesetters, IWF and Pride (both with over 800 known performances).

I'm think that maybe they've decided to save The Troubles for special occasions and only play it when Lykke Li is available.
The song has potential to be incredible, not quite as great as Love Is Blindness was on ZOOTV, but pretty close.

I'm think that maybe they've decided to save The Troubles for special occasions and only play it when Lykke Li is available.
The song has potential to be incredible, not quite as great as Love Is Blindness was on ZOOTV, but pretty close.

Nope. They're going to do the alternate version from the deluxe acoustics and Edge will do a lot of the vocals instead of pumping in Lykke Li over the sound system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I've actually found it interesting that UTEOTW has had a permanent place in the set at the start of this tour, because it didn't have that on the last two tours. On Vertigo, it was only played four times across the entire first two legs (I was lucky enough to be at two of those shows); it returned halfway through the third leg and only became a regular from then. On 360, it took almost a month to appear in the setlist (again I was lucky and saw its tour debut), and it was only played sporadically across the first and second legs - it became a fixture on the second half of the second leg, but didn't become an "every night even in cities with multiple shows" song until a month into the third leg.

Assuming it remains in the next four sets, its performance at the second LA show will be its 500th. That's enough to put it 11th in the list of U2 songs played the most live, but it's still well behind the likes of One, Streets, Bullet, WOWY, and especially the pacesetters, IWF and Pride (both with over 800 known performances).

It's already in 11th, and only 127 plays behind One. One is the only post-Joshua Tree song that's been played more, but that makes sense because it's one of their standards. Most of the songs immediately below Until the End were either latter hits or from a time when they didn't have many songs, or didn't have many that were great. The amount of plays that Until the End has despite it's not being a hit or being forced into the set because of a lack of material point to it being one of the bands favorite songs. They don't have to play it.

I plan on bringing signs with my own analytics to the Chicago show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what will be real interesting is what new songs they will keep unveiling throughout the tour. It's been great that not one night has been identical. And as Gavin Friday said in that Hot Press article, it takes about 6 shows to make this baby achtung. :D I think the show will continue to progress and evolve as they find their feet. Not saying that that excuses them to do 6 crappy shows and then be great from there on, but the shows have been far from crappy, it's just perhaps a bit early days?

(BTW, what does everyone make of that article's comment of Bono's new "stage persona" being "slightly sleazy and slightly dangerous"? I didn't even realize he had a persona going on for this one...... :shifty: )

I made my own metric called CPH (Chins Per Hour) tracking how many times Bono makes the proud face where he sticks his chin out really far. Based on my research, he maintained a 6.72% CPH during the 360 Tour. Based on only 4 shows on this tour I don't feel confident in my sample size so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom