2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, that guy's complaining about a lack of hits when, from a 23 song set, 14 of the songs are on a Best Of compilation and 7 are new tracks, leaving just two (Out of Control, which he has an odd animus against, and COBL)? Come the fuck off it.

Oh and one of the "hits" he wants is a song that has been performed live literally twice in the last thirteen years. :lol:

Zooropa. The Fly. Case closed.

Yep both cool but the fly had been played on elevation vertigo and 360, so surely that goes against the whole setlist variation and deep cuts thing if they where to play it again? 2 songs don't make a show

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yep both cool but the fly had been played on elevation vertigo and 360, so surely that goes against the whole setlist variation and deep cuts thing if they where to play it again? 2 songs don't make a show

Not when it's a fucking great song.

The biggest tabloid in Sweden gave the opener 3/5 and the second night 2/5. Claiming the SoI songs are as bad or worse as Get on your Boots and the band seems tired and contempt. The review is basically consists of one-liners.

Who bear with hearing "Innocence" -songs two nights in a row? Or that it will be in Stockholm this autumn - four?

In addition, should someone run in and wake Bono up in some songs. Sometimes he reminds us of a full and satisfied Rod Stewart sliding around with one hand in his trouser pocket and tearing of a standard song. The bleached hair's hue, at least next to Stewart's hair

google translated a part of the review

He said this show was better than a 2011 360° show? :lol:

To be fair, the Oakland 360 show was delayed by over a year and in my opinion, the band and the crowd just didn't have the energy that they usually have when the band plays the Bay Area. That being said, I don't think most rock music fans would consider "Out of Control" an obscure track at all so that reporter's frame of reference must be U218.

Time to get ready for tonight, so blessed to see this band again!!!

I have no idea what a Twitter Log Helper is.

I read a bit of one of the SJ reviews until I got to the line "mediocre deep cut Out Of Control" and was all LOL BYE FELICIA.

It appears that the music critic for San Jose's local paper is not a fan of U2

I thought was a pretty balanced review. Who can disagree with this...

Yet, it wasn't nearly as powerful as some of the other U2 shows fans have witnessed...which featured better set lists and stronger musical performances.

This is inarguably true (even if it's not quite fair).

The Independent review is a surprise. Normally, writers for British papers have a hard time finding anything positive about U2.

I think it is better to do a comparison between 1st legs of 360 and ie to be fair. It is way harder to pick one this way. I'd give ie the edge in that scenario. Have a look at ie in 2016 before going for a 5th leg 360 run to rule out ie.

The Independent review is a surprise. Normally, writers for British papers have a hard time finding anything positive about U2.

True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to. All the 8 times I've seen them before I've been totally blown away but this time something just wasn't right. The start and the SOI songs just didn't work, I even remember feeling very sad because It felt like my favourite band was dying :-(, . I'm really hoping it's just because it's the start of the tour and things will get ironed out by the Euro shows.

Sent from my SM-N910F using U2 Interference mobile app

Outside of Springsteen, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc, most bands have static setlists. The fact that U2 change it up at all is an improvement over most of their peers. ACDC make a setlist at the beginning of a tour, and they NEVER deviate from it, even if it is the 2nd show in the same city. Most bands do the obligatory 2-3 new songs, then shower is with yet another greatest hits run!

The Stones do about the same as U2, changing up a handful of tunes from night to night, but leaving most of the warhorses intact. The difference is, no other band that has been around this long is doing 8 new songs from their new album each night. I'm so glad they're still doing so many new tunes. I'm sure by the end of the tour they'll drop a few of them (if "The Troubles" hasn't already been dropped, it doesn't have much time), and there's always the chance they actually will release SOE, and they'll have to put songs from it in there somewhere. I also think "invisible" won't be around very long.

Outside of Springsteen, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc, most bands have static setlists. The fact that U2 change it up at all is an improvement over most of their peers. ACDC make a setlist at the beginning of a tour, and they NEVER deviate from it, even if it is the 2nd show in the same city. Most bands do the obligatory 2-3 new songs, then shower is with yet another greatest hits run!

The Stones do about the same as U2, changing up a handful of tunes from night to night, but leaving most of the warhorses intact. The difference is, no other band that has been around this long is doing 8 new songs from their new album each night. I'm so glad they're still doing so many new tunes. I'm sure by the end of the tour they'll drop a few of them (if "The Troubles" hasn't already been dropped, it doesn't have much time), and there's always the chance they actually will release SOE, and they'll have to put songs from it in there somewhere. I also think "invisible" won't be around very long.

Spot on! This is the most accurate comment I've ever read about the "set list" topic. Thank you. :up:

True.

The more I think about the Van 2nd show though, the more confused I am. I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to. All the 8 times I've seen them before I've been totally blown away but this time something just wasn't right. The start and the SOI songs just didn't work, I even remember feeling very sad because It felt like my favourite band was dying :-(, . I'm really hoping it's just because it's the start of the tour and things will get ironed out by the Euro shows.

Sent from my SM-N910F using U2 Interference mobile app

Dying? A little dramatic don't you think?

ACDC doesn't help the argument :huh: they play one song 24 times a night

... the Van 2nd show though... I think it's the worst U2 gig I've been to.

00127k4w.gif

Were we at the same gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom