May 31st, 2015 - Los Angeles, CA, Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Post your pictures, stories and experiences about this show here.

Wow Wow Wow! That was great. First and foremost, if you are desperate for a ticket and you find one of the obstructed view seats, TAKE IT. There's just no mad seat in the house, and this was the proof I needed. Sound was just as good as on the floor. View was excellent, I could still see the video board because I was a little to the left, it was far better than I could possibly have imagined.

As for the show, Bono was really not with us for the first like 9 or 10 songs, barely talked, kinda seemed like he didn't want to be there, his throat went out on him during the first verse of EBTTRT, etc. I honestly think they're getting bored, which would be a good thing, of course. Change shit up.

But Mysterious Ways was the catalyst for the rest of the night, for certain. Once the great dancer got pulled up on stage, and that little blow blew David from last night out of the water, Bono was certainly far more into it. I had been so settled into the idea that the rest of the show would be a "dull" as the beginning that when he snippeted "Yellow" instead of "I Remember You" that gave me a small jolt...Then of course, AIWIY...wow. I have no idea who decided we needed a hard rock version of that song, but THANK YOU. That was amazing. And when I saw the guitars being flipped at the end of the night, I was basically shrieking I was so excited. I've seen 40 before, but it's been a while.

AOH and WLCTT were far better live than I expected and I had so much fun during them. I've never seen either and they were great, plus BB's vocal being pumped in was very moving.

Tonight, though, man tonight Bullet and Pride really got to me. I can only imagine what that's going to be like in cities like Chicago and Boston, but I am almost glad I won't be in attendance, because I already got quite overly emotional during his speeches tonight. I think it was that American flag that did it. That visual reminder that we're not a country, but an idea :wink:. Anyways, enough cheese. I'm all out of shows, and I'm so glad I got to see this one.

Best show of the tour for me (out of all existing Forum and San Jose shows). Really emotional, with an energy surge, and great song selection.

Amazing show last night and really fun being to take it all in from the stands as opposed to the floor on Saturday.

The first "act", or 10-12 songs need some work. Will post more detailed thoughts when I get home. Otherwise, it was, I think my favorite U2 show I've been to.

Best . Show. Ever. Starting with the random Boob flashing pre show dancing lady and ending with 40. Agree Bono was really odd 1st few songs. But he pulled it together. Energy was off the charts in the crowd. And I got water thrown on my and Bono sweat and almost 2 minutes of no eyeglass Bono right in front of me. Almost speechless . Still on cloud nine

Oh wow. I am so glad for you all. There's already a composite video boot of LA 3 circulating, so maybe we'll see one for this show! It sounds like they are really digging in and hitting full stride, and they look SO happy the last couple of shows--this is fabulous.

...and almost 2 minutes of no eyeglass Bono right in front of me...

17727242204_916947923b_z_d.jpg

one of my pics...

Beautiful night. I was at LA1 and it felt a bit flat (although at least part of that was coming from me, not the band). So thrilled (and relieved) to have experienced tonight - it was magical. Getting to hear AIWIY was so special - (I told my husband we were definitely not going to hear it - it's "our song" [to get cheesy] and have never heard it live, so that was amazing.)

We were 1 person back from the main stage rail, and Bono (and the whole band) just seemed really . . . joyous (at least in the latter part of the show). Dennis Sheehan's wife was backstage and it seemed, not surprisingly, to be quite emotional. (We were there through the Red Zone backstage tour raffle). This may explain why some found Bono a bit "off" at the beginning.

But somehow they pulled it together and were able to spread joy throughout the building. (One of the guys backstage said the band has a renewed sense of purpose and inspiration because they are now playing for Dennis. It shows).
So grateful we are still able to experience this.

Edge was on it with his guitar although I don't think AIWIY was tuned to his liking. He killed it on WOWY and BTBS. Wow, he was impressive.

Fantastic show. Showed up at 10 got our wristbands, then off for breakfast at The Serving Spoon. I cannot recommend that place enough, I love Roscoe's and it's even better than that if you can believe.

We tailgated most of the day to recover from Saturday. Got a very nice spot on the B Stage, right next to Paco who was pulled up. Funnily enough the girls right behind him seem to be a lucky charm. They were next to Amp on Saturday and the guy from Hollywood U2 on Tuesday.

The dancing/flashing lady seemed to put the crowd in a very good mood. Before the flashing the GA folks had started to mime her moves which amused the people in the stands.

I thought the first part of the set wasn't as strong as Wednesday's, where RBW/UTEOTW in particular were blazing. Still, it was solid. But then the B stage set seemd to inject life into the band. The girl pulled up was great and Paco just stole the show. And almost all of that happened right in front of me. :drool::drool::drool:

We left the B stage during Bullet which roared last night. That solo was blistering. Then of course came AIWIY. Amazing. Great version, and well, it's in my top 5 songs of all time, so yeah.

Closing with 40 was great. I love One, but it's a bad closer. ISHFWILF works better, but still isn't ideal. If you aren't closing with Streets, then you can't go wrong with 40.

In general, this was the best LA U2 crowd I've seen. Seemed like they were singing to everything and were into the new stuff.

^^ that one was the only one useable without his glasses, and wasn't quite as in focus/sharp as I would have liked. I have to go through about 350 pictures to pick out the best ones...

^^ that one was the only one useable without his glasses, and wasn't quite as in focus/sharp as I would have liked. I have to go through about 350 pictures to pick out the best ones...

Well it's pretty sweet. :up: Please post more if you want to. :D

The videos are set to private. :sad:

They should be ok to view now.

So anyway, imo Sunday's show wasn't necessarily better than the first night, just slightly different, and not just because of the few different songs between the two nights. Although I was a bit bummed I was getting Electric Co both shows I was seeing this leg of the tour (that's why I chose odd/even shows!) l was otherwise cool with the few song changes between night 1 and night 4.

Performance-wise, the band was a bit more "on" the first show than LA#4 although Bono's voice was a bit stronger this show. As others have noted, Bono seemed a bit tense for the first half of the show. Early on at the end of Song For Someone where he usually seems to encourage the audience to keep singing the "be yourself" refrain, this time he cut it off saying "once." Things did seem to change for the better once Bono pulled the girl onstage during Mysterious Ways and the rest of the night.

I thought the crowd was much more into the show most of the night vs LA#1, although people started leaving in droves even before Streets was done. I pretty much moved wherever I wanted on the floor. Spent the 1st set on The Edge's side, moved to the E Stage 'til Bullet, moved to Adam's side for the next few songs and moved back over near my original spot for AIWIY and the rest of the show.

I shot some great video of about 1/3rd of the show although I dealt with some wonky autofocus issues the opening song. The only crucial song I really fucked up on was AIWIY which was when I was getting a good spot and had my camera back in my bag - there was almost no warning they were going to play it, Bono says something about "not playing this song in a long time" and Edge and the band kind of stumbles into the beginning with no slow buildup like the song usually gets. The song really didn't take off until the last 3rd when Bono went off to the E Stage and through sheer force of will, pulled the audience further into the song. Seeing the printed setlist, I am so glad they didn't encore with "One" again tonight and instead slotted in a quick, but effective "40."

Generally, I thought both shows I caught this tour have been good but not great. "Great" was the opening month's worth of shows on the Vertigo tour or the 5 show run they did in LA for the first leg of the Joshua Tree tour (the 5th and final show of that stand is my all-time favorite U2 show). The set just needs some real work (rearranging and a few different songs) to flow better and that horrible version of SBS needs to go.

I'll post clips of Angel/Love Comes To Town and Wolves/UTEOTW in a bit in this thread.

I was moving from Adams side to Edges side at the start of AIWIY and only got a minute of bad footage! Agree it was easy to move around!

Great stuff Partyslammer. Thanks for posting!

Fyi, I did take some close-ups pics of those monitors that you suggested I zoom in on before the 5/30 show. They actually managed to come out somewhat (surprisingly), but nothing regarding set lists or songs, unfortunately! I think those screens mostly had to do with the video displays and camera views for the stage/show.

What are you shooting with?

I use a Sony HX9V but it's really for video. I rarely take pictures at concerts. You have to use manual mode.

Some more...

18204963589_cc3ebf0d5b_z_d.jpg

I never noticed before that The Edge keeps both a Capo and a Slide stuck on the headstock of the Mysterious Ways Rickenbacker guitar instead of tossing them after MY or switching off to another guitar (like when they played California the first night) during the E Stage set in case of impromptu song changes.

Back
Top Bottom