July 19, 2015 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night, I took my mom to her first U2 show. We sat in section 114, row 7, which put us behind whopping one other row. These were $118 tix that are $312 on some other nights. Best value ticket this tour. Turns out Pop Artist was a few rows behind me. It wasn't GA, but in a lot of ways it was better - I had a set spot without anyone blocking my view. I could take the production in from a distance. I could sit down during EBW and watch Bono blow away his performance from the previous evening. I could put my Coke Zero in a cup holder. I could go on.

19249758644_bb49d57799_c.jpg

Gloria was a welcomed change from night 1. Otherwise, the same solid first half set. Iris into Cedarwood could use a smoother transition and SFS should go away, but SBS into RBW works great. Completely effective. I really enjoyed seeing UTEOTW from a greater distance. My mom was blown the feck away.

19684556840_d8562882b4_c.jpg

Got another dose of October, but also Volcano! (shut up), a piano-based/Motown-y Stuck and, yes, Bad. Edge's falsetto is so clean and pure, the guy should sing more songs.
19249789654_209f01c181_c.jpg

Bono was way more on point on EBW and I dunno why, but COBL worked a lot better on night 2. I think it was due to the folks around me. Despite being in the stands, they were jumping, singing, and generally rocking out hard. I'll wager that the majority of the seats in this section were fanclub members.

19865159092_7dd9d97466_z.jpg

So very very glad we got "Bad". Now if they can just play the other best song from TUF ("Promenade"), I'll call this residency worth the money.

See you folks at night 3!
19684416570_d78a1c74a4_c.jpg

19686120409_ab22777418_c.jpg

This was my first non GA U2 show since Vertigo, and even that was one of the risers at the back of the floor at MSG. First time off the floor since Elevation.

Tickets were great, section 117, dead center of the arena... but I have to admit I missed the energy of being on the floor.

The show was amazing. About the only thing I'd say was a negative is the themes of the second act +... as in no theme.

The first set is so perfectly structured and themed beautifully, and then the second set is more or less a free for all... but then gets all themey again around Bullet / Hands / Pride. I don't know how they could fix this, and I don't even know if they need to fix it... but it's noticeable. Even with the screen... Seems like they have these beautifully crafted set pieces for the first act and then just toss up whatever for the rest.

Anyhoo... The show was great, the band is in fine form, and I can't wait for tomorrow and Thuraday to be back on the floor again.

Heck, I may even try for a rail spot one of the two nights :hmm:

This was my first U2 show since Vertigo Buffalo (12/9/05). We were up toward the back of section 224, so I was worried we'd miss a lot, but the view wasn't obstructed at all, and the sound was still decent. I was so impressed by most of the production. In a way, it made me feel like I was seeing U2 again for the first time.

They could have skipped Volcano and played something older (or at least one of the better songs from SOI, like The Troubles or California), but I thought the other new songs sounded great. Bad has been my favorite U2 song since I was 14, but I'd never heard them play it. Finally! It was as wonderful as I always hoped it would be.

Unless something semi-miraculous happens in the next few days, this will be my only show of this leg. It made me fall in love with U2 again. I will definitely be trying to do more shows when they come back.

Back
Top Bottom