Why not Iris as an opener???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
Just saying.....if not the main set then it should open the encore.

And it's built to transition to streets.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It's good where it is right now. But it can do without the preceding speech and it needs a reworked mofo to segue into it. That'd be incredible.
It works well with the 1st half of innocence, so I doubt it'll move. But who knows, maybe in one of these 8 night stays they'll experiment a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Would be the best of SOI, since there are no good natural openers on the album. It does have a natural build to it, that could be a pretty good opener.

Would be better than the miracle, which I actually like as a song, but is just a poor opener.

This is one tour they should go with an old song.

I haven't been the biggest fan of The Miracle, but it worked. The "oh oh ohs" worked, it worked with the Ramones as a lead-in PA track, the crunchy guitar worked. It worked.

The only other song I could see opening in its place is Invisible, but for the reasons I just stated, The Miracle works.

I still think This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now would be an incredible opener.

:up: it'd be incredible if they just played the dang song.

yep, this. it would be perfect as the opener though, lightbulb thing and all.

Iris is way too slow to open. I agree as said above, we need Mofo before it. some how, some way. I'd take a revamp even.

I haven't been the biggest fan of The Miracle, but it worked. The "oh oh ohs" worked, it worked with the Ramones as a lead-in PA track, the crunchy guitar worked. It worked.

The only other song I could see opening in its place is Invisible, but for the reasons I just stated, The Miracle works.

I agree with this!

The Miracle works anyways, though I'd rather see something else open. It's not like Breathe.

However, it works especially with "Beat On The Brat" leading in.

I obviously wasn't there, but it seems to me like it would've gone down a lot better on night 1 going right into Out of Control, Vertigo and I Will Follow. California is great, but I think they should keep the punk energy rolling for 4 songs to start.

That transition night 1 to Out Of Control kicked major ass! Right in without stopping.

I'd say Invisible would be a good candidate as well.

Unless Reach comes into the mix, I think the Miracle works fine.

If they're up for a change, Invisible or better yet, kick it off with Out of Control and then do the Miracle second!!

Out of Control was one of their best openers ever!

yep, this. it would be perfect as the opener though, lightbulb thing and all.

Iris is way too slow to open. I agree as said above, we need Mofo before it. some how, some way. I'd take a revamp even.

I've said in the other thread that I'd actually love to see it played after wolves. Have the piano outro segue into the intro of Reach Me Now.

Miracle-OOC/IWF-Cali-Mofo-Iris-Cedarwood-SFS-NYD-Please-Wolves-Reach-World would be an amazing opening set.

This is where you can reach me now would be pretty awesome

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I obviously wasn't there, but it seems to me like it would've gone down a lot better on night 1 going right into Out of Control, Vertigo and I Will Follow. California is great, but I think they should keep the punk energy rolling for 4 songs to start.

That transition night 1 to Out Of Control kicked major ass! Right in without stopping.

agreed. second night was better but I way preferred the opening of the first night. pure punk rock energy which I'm pretty sure they're going for anyway!

California could wait a few songs for sure.

I think Iris into streets would be amazing. If only you could see yourself.... Cue edge guitar.

That's cause Streets is so good that it can go with any song.
They could play Walking On Sunshine with Larry on vocals and segue it into Streets and it'd still sound great.

I think at this point, every U2 song has been mentioned as a good transition into Streets. :crack:

True but I think the emotion and subject matter of Iris would work phenomenally leading into streets. I may be biased because Iris is one of my favorite songs by them but I think it deserves this special spot in the set list for the tour.

Nothing gets a crowd pumped up like "Hold Me Close"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do people really still not understand the purpose of the set list and flow of the show?

200_s.gif

It's good where it is right now. But it can do without the preceding speech and it needs a reworked mofo to segue into it. That'd be incredible.
It works well with the 1st half of innocence, so I doubt it'll move. But who knows, maybe in one of these 8 night stays they'll experiment a bit.

Completely disagree about it not needing the preceeding speech. The band comes out firing for four straight songs. It works perfectly for Bono to say a few words, introduce the band at this point and explain what Iris is about. It adds to the appeal of the song for those in the crowd who may not know what it's about. When you talk about your mom and then go into a song written for her it has the desired affect. Just going inot t wouldn't be a good move

As for it opening the show; NO WAY! As for it opening the second set or encore, again NO. Seeing it in person I think it works really well where it is. If they moved it maybe it could be song #6 or something but after the initial opening blitz is a perfect time for it to come in. It's not to slow as to kill the momentum but it's slow enough that people get a bit of a breather. It's fantatsic live too.

Would be the best of SOI, since there are no good natural openers on the album. It does have a natural build to it, that could be a pretty good opener.

Would be better than the miracle, which I actually like as a song, but is just a poor opener.
No offence but come on. It wouldn't be a good opener period let alone the best opener on the album. There is no way in hell Iris would make a better opener than The Miracle. Seriously the band comes out to a slow build and Bono softly singing about his mom and then Hold me close!.... It wod NOT work at all.

100% right. It worked great both nights in Vancouver. Was better the second night and will continue to get better as the tour goes on. It worked and those in attendence know it works.

I still think This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now would be an incredible opener.
No it wouldn't. Too slow, not enough energy and doesn't grab you quick enough. It's not like TIWYCRMN or Iris have the same tone as COBL. TIWYCRMN would flop as an opener

Nah, it wouldn't work. Invisible, however, might, and I wish they would try it to find out.

Fair enough points but I really think the build would work well. I have seen Pearl Jam open with Release a bunch of times and it works really well.

That being said, haven't seen the show yet so I will reserve judgment :)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Completely disagree about it not needing the preceding speech. The band comes out firing for four straight songs. It works perfectly for Bono to say a few words, introduce the band at this point and explain what Iris is about. It adds to the appeal of the song for those in the crowd who may not know what it's about. When you talk about your mom and then go into a song written for her it has the desired affect. Just going into it wouldn't be a good move

Agreed. Let's also not overlook the thematic tie of I Will Follow/the Mofo snipper/Iris all connecting to Bono's mom, and then Iris leads into the 'trip back to the past' of Cedarwood Road.

I suspect we'll see very little, if any, changes to the opening set. The flow already works quite well as it is, and all of the current songs contain the big "wow" moments for the new staging. The only changes you might see to the Opening Ten are one of Out Of Control/Electric Co/California being shuffled into that second or third song slot on any given night (with Vertigo being #2 or #3 every night) and potentially 'Bad' taking the spot of UTEOTW as the opening set closer. This is just my speculation, since RBW/Bad have a natural link due to the Andy Rowen connection.

Back
Top Bottom