What songs will be played at every show of the IE Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Time to make your predictions, now that we've got a lengthy residency done and dusted and a core setlist is clear. The show will obviously evolve and songs will come and go, but at the moment there is a static 18-song core, which is really a 19-song core when you consider that City of Blinding Lights seems to have cemented its position as the encore opener. But what will fall out of favour? What will go into rotation?

So far, the following songs have been played at all 12 shows of the IE Tour:

· Beautiful Day (12 times)
· Bullet The Blue Sky (12 times)
· Cedarwood Road (12 times)
· Even Better Than The Real Thing (12 times)
· Every Breaking Wave (12 times)
· I Will Follow (12 times)
· Invisible (12 times)
· Iris (Hold Me Close) (12 times)
· Mysterious Ways (12 times)
· Pride (In The Name Of Love) (12 times)
· Raised By Wolves (12 times)
· Song For Someone (12 times)
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (12 times)
· The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (12 times)
· Until The End Of The World (12 times)
· Vertigo (12 times)
· Where The Streets Have No Name (12 times)
· With Or Without You (12 times)

Then there's COBL with 10/12 shows, and the remaining 19 songs (half of the total of 38 songs played) have been done at 50% of shows or fewer. There are 10 songs that have only appeared once or twice. You can make that twelve if you count the two songs done only at the Roxy.

By comparison, eight songs were played at all 110 shows on 360, with three more missing just 1-2 shows (a total of 61 songs were played across the whole tour):

· I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (111 times) [it was played twice at Barcelona 2 - once as remix, once in traditional form]
· Beautiful Day (110 times)
· City Of Blinding Lights (110 times)
· Get On Your Boots (110 times)
· One (110 times)
· Vertigo (110 times)
· Walk On (110 times)
· Where The Streets Have No Name (110 times)
· With Or Without You (109 times)
· Moment of Surrender (108 times)
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (108 times)

On Vertigo, ten songs were played at all 131 shows, and an eleventh missed just four (a total of 60 songs were played across the whole tour):

· Vertigo (170 times)
· Beautiful Day (131 times)
· Bullet The Blue Sky (131 times)
· City Of Blinding Lights (131 times)
· Elevation (131 times)
· One (131 times)
· Pride (In The Name Of Love) (131 times)
· Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (131 times)
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (131 times)
· Where The Streets Have No Name (131 times)
· Love And Peace Or Else (127 times)

On Elevation, six songs were played at all 113 shows, and four more missed only 1-3 shows (a total of 51 songs were played across the whole tour):

· Beautiful Day (113 times)
· Elevation (113 times)
· One (113 times)
· Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (113 times)
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (113 times)
· Where The Streets Have No Name (113 times)
· Bullet The Blue Sky (112 times)
· Until The End Of The World (112 times)
· Walk On (112 times)
· New York (110 times)

Over the last three tours, there has been a general pattern of 10 or 11 songs being played at every show (or essentially every show). By setting my leeway for "every" show as missing five shows, nothing is narrowly excluded thanks to missing six shows. The closest to the cutoff are I Still Haven't Found and Magnificent, which both missed 14 shows on 360; Kite missed 15 shows on Elevation; and the Vertigo Tour has a distinct gap with the next song past the cutoff being With or Without You, which missed 27 shows. With a decent gap like that, it means a song experienced at least one of three things: 1. it was dropped late (e.g. Magnificent on 360), 2. it entered rotation for a period (ISHFWILF on 360), or 3. it was not originally in the setlist but became a regular when it showed up (Kite on Elevation and WOWY on Vertigo).

The "permanent" fixtures that nonetheless missed 1-5 shows were either cut because of curfews (e.g. MOS missing a couple of shows on 360), or were subject to an experimental drop/rotation that the band quickly backed away from (e.g. SBS being rotated for Pride at two 360 shows before the band found another spot for Pride).

So place your bets of which songs will be played at every show on I+E. If anybody cares to return to this thread after the end of tour to see who got closest, we'll call your guess correct if the song only missed five shows or fewer. That means no song can be added to the setlist at this stage and meet the criteria for effective permanence, as it will have already missed 12 shows.

Here are my guesses. In bold are those that I think will remain permanent. Of course it's hard to make a call when we don't know just how long the tour will be - if Songs of Experience comes out and/or there is a shift to stadiums, that would probably have significant implications. I'm working on the idea that U2 keep touring well into 2016 and that there is plenty of time for things to change, without assuming a specific cause of those changes.

I'm calling ten songs to be played at every show or to come within five performances of achieving that feat:

· Beautiful Day (12 times) - duh, this isn't going anywhere.
· Bullet The Blue Sky (12 times) - has new life this tour and the band, especially Bono, are well committed to it.
· Cedarwood Road (12 times) - clear live standout of the new tracks and a big part of the show's presentation.
· Even Better Than The Real Thing (12 times) - will enter rotation, perhaps with MW, as setlist space gets squeezed.
· Every Breaking Wave (12 times) - will get dropped late in the picture like Magnificent on 360.
· I Will Follow (12 times) - will enter rotation at some point.
· Invisible (12 times) - will be dropped after the first couple of legs.
· Iris (Hold Me Close) (12 times) - will be dropped or rotated after the first couple of legs.
· Mysterious Ways (12 times) - will enter rotation, perhaps with EBTTRT.
· Pride (In The Name Of Love) (12 times) - will enter rotation; the Hands/Pride "I'm an American/America is an idea!" thing won't translate to Europe.
· Raised By Wolves (12 times) - another new song that's become integral to the show presentation.
· Song For Someone (12 times) - really not sure what way to call this, to be honest, but I figure it has a good chance of seeing out the tour.
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (12 times) - will be dropped/rotated at some point, especially if they go cool on the new way to play it after a couple of legs.
· The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (12 times) - not going anywhere; no lead single has missed a gig on its debut tour since WOWY and Desire missed a show each on JT and Lovetown.
· Until The End Of The World (12 times) - another classic the band clearly love to play; the intensity of the current performances make me think it's got a lot of life in it yet.
· Vertigo (12 times) - not going anywhere.
· Where The Streets Have No Name (12 times) - no fucking shit.
· With Or Without You (12 times) - will miss sporadic shows.
· City Of Blinding Lights (10 times) - after that brief attempt to rotate it with Miracle Drug, I think COBL has locked in its spot.

I Will Follow/Iris aren't getting dropped. That's a key transition from the 'punk' phase of the setlist to the 'past' phase, with Bono's memories of his mother used as the bridge.

I actually think the first act's worth of songs will remain virtually unchanged, except for the rotating 'second song' (Out Of Control/Electric Co/maybe eventually Gloria). Everything flows together so nicely thematically that it's difficult to make many wholesale changes. I'd argue you could extend the opening set to 11 songs by adding Troubles before UTEOTW.

As for the second set, who knows, I love that U2 has already run through quite a few songs in a rotation.

so I'm almost in full agreement with Ax but I think SFS will miss a good few. especially if this goes to stadiums.

· Beautiful Day (12 times) - I have an odd feeling it'll be rotated out a few shows later in the tour but I'm not bold enough to predict that officially.
· Bullet The Blue Sky (12 times) - a real winner this tour, returning to it's former 1987-2001 glory. it deserved the rest and works perfectly now. I just want to see them change up what they do around it.
· Cedarwood Road (12 times) - obviously the best of the SOI songs live, it won't miss a show and it better not!
· Even Better Than The Real Thing (12 times) - this is totally getting swapped out. I love it and it was massive on 360 but it doesn't seem nearly as impressive this goaround. but i'm glad it's back.
· Every Breaking Wave (12 times) - definitely going to get dropped from it's current position. I can see them giving the full band version a shot at some point, but we shall see.
· I Will Follow (12 times) - will miss a sporadic few shows but largely remain a regular.
· Invisible (12 times) - I love this song to death and I love the "I am here!" part but yeah something needs to happen with this. not near it's full potential.
· Iris (Hold Me Close) (12 times) - not going to last, no matter how important it is. if I were them, I'd rotate it/Kite/Sometimes just for kicks.
· Mysterious Ways (12 times) - definitely will not be a regular. I like Ax's idea of swapping it with Even Better.
· Pride (In The Name Of Love) (12 times) - this will be swapped around. I like the idea of it coming AFTER with or without you to close the set, old school style. but what do I know. it'll miss some shows.
· Raised By Wolves (12 times) - not missing. way impressive.
· Song For Someone (12 times) - I think it'll be dropped/rotated out at some point and no one will really make a fuss.
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (12 times) - going to stay. the fanbase is way divided on this but I fucking love it, I love seeing Larry get out there, I love the Irish flag visuals, I think it's gonna be around!
· The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (12 times) - if Boots didn't miss a show then this won't. hopefully it won't open every show though.
· Until The End Of The World (12 times) - yeah no way this is leaving. arguably their most consistent live song along with Bad and Streets, always a monster and this tour is possibly it's best outing yet. it better not miss a show!
· Vertigo (12 times) - has new life in the opening segment. it was weird coming mid-set on 360, much more natural/better in the "punk" opening
· Where The Streets Have No Name (12 times) - again, please work on the segue into this!!!!
· With Or Without You (12 times) - has sounded a lot better this tour but yeah I agree, I could see it missing a few/being swapped out.
· City Of Blinding Lights (10 times) - after seeing the visuals for this, how could you want it to leave? don't think there's any other song that could fill it's role honestly.

Personally, I'm expecting a fair few changes in the first set but only *next* year, assuming a stadium tour, new material (being played live even if not officially released, like 2010 360) and the desire to make changes for the return legs.

Beautiful Day (12 times) - No comment needed
Bullet The Blue Sky (12 times) Yeah, this is returning to its old place
Cedarwood Road (12 times) - Gonna dissent from the crowd here; I see this getting switched about as new songs enter the set. Sadly, it will either fall off at the end like Magnificent or when the new stuff comes in next year.
Even Better Than The Real Thing (12 times) - Definitely going into rotation at some point.
Every Breaking Wave (12 times) - May move around and change arrangements but I think this is here to the end. The band love this song.
I Will Follow (12 times) - Will rotate at some point - maybe with NYD like on Europe leg 3 of 360 for a bit.
Invisible (12 times) - Going, going, gone after leg 2.
Iris (Hold Me Close) (12 times) - Sort of slow, not a single, new? May be gone after leg 3.
Mysterious Ways (12 times) - Will never vanish for long, but will probably miss more than 5 shows, I think.
Pride (In The Name Of Love) (12 times) - It will move, but I feel like this will actually stick around most of the time after sitting a big chunk of 360 out. The question is whether it will miss more than 5 shows or not, and I feel like it will miss maybe 10 or so.
Raised By Wolves (12 times) Setlist placement will anchor this in. Surprisingly to me as I expected it to be rotated before the tour - but a welcome surprise.
Song For Someone (12 times) Other than the three SoI songs that I think are guaranteed to make it to the end, I feel like this and Cedarwood will have the most longevity.
Sunday Bloody Sunday (12 times) - I think the SBS - Raised-UTEOTW group is going to be there until the last show. Though I do wonder if they'll switch back to the classic version at some stage; maybe not though.
The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (12 times) - I actually think this will stay anchored as the opener all the way through.
Until The End Of The World (12 times) - See RBW/ SBS
Vertigo (12 times) Most recent mega-hit is sticking around.
Where The Streets Have No Name (12 times) - Never going anywhere.
With Or Without You (12 times) May miss 1-2 but not going to be more than 5.
City Of Blinding Lights (10 times) Here to stay.

I agree with almost all of Axver's predictions except Every Breaking Wave getting dropped. IMO, it's the cornerstone song of the album and if anything, I think it will be eventually performed as a full band arrangement and moved to lead off the encore section of the set. EBW is the Moment Of Surrender/Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own of the current tour.

I also think of the other regular songs in the first leg so far, Song For Someone is most likely to get edged out as the tour progresses to the UK/Europe this Summer with Iris another possibility.

I can't imagine the band will stick with the current version of Sunday Bloody Sunday the whole tour. It may stay in the set, but I would bet the band is going to rethink the current version and go with something more like the acoustic/electric hybrid as seen on the Rattle and Hum movie.

Will be interesting to see what kind of small changes the 8 date MSG shows will bring at the end of the NA leg.

can't see how invisible and even better get dropped considering how the screen is a big part of the performance

they are the cobl/vertigo/crazy of this tour

I mean any up tempo song could go in that 2nd slot, but I agree that invisible will stay.

What should go away is the intermission. Our at least make it shorter.

I think if they kept the lighting down on everything but the screen and let Edge continue to riff a little as Larry and Adam snuck into the screen, and then went right into Invisible without that long break then they wouldn't confuse the crowd as much.

Miss 0-5:
Beautiful Day
Bullet The Blue Sky
Cedarwood Road
Every Breaking Wave
I Will Follow
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Raised By Wolves
The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
Until The End Of The World
Vertigo
Where The Streets Have No Name

That's 4 songs from SOI. On Vertigo there were 4 that missed 0-5, on 360 there were 3.

Miss 6+:
City Of Blinding Lights
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Invisible
Mysterious Ways
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With Or Without You

Agreed re: MW/EBTTRT rotating or being replaced completely.

I still think the encore is flexible, I don't see COBL > Mother and Child Reunion > Streets lasting forever.

Invisible may be replaced by something that grabs more immediate attention following the intermission, I'm undecided.

Song for Someone to be dropped when its felt that 3 SOI songs in a row early in the set is too much.

Pride / SBS / WOWY to be dropped at some point.

when Crystal Ballroom is introduced, it's going to be interesting to see where it'll go/if it'll replace Mysterious Ways/Even Better or something. Even Better can be easily replaced. Discotheque, as much as we joke about it and as unlikely as it seems these days, would work perfectly and I don't completely think the band would rule out trying it there.

the encore will definitely be changed up. I agree, I think Every Breaking Wave full band would work perfectly in the encore. either leading it off or second, and I think Bono will give up the Mother and Child thing eventually. they did swap MLK on 360 for Mothers of the Disappeared and Scarlet, and everyone thought that was going to be a tour regular.

Some great replies here - really enjoyed reading them, and I'm surprised how much agreement there is. Surely a sign our predictions are wrong? :wink:

I Will Follow/Iris aren't getting dropped. That's a key transition from the 'punk' phase of the setlist to the 'past' phase, with Bono's memories of his mother used as the bridge.

I agree that they're going nowhere for now. I Will Follow has some seriously renewed passion. However, after the second leg, as they start to rethink what they're doing and look at some changes, that's when I think Iris will get the cut. Not a single, not quite a new centrepiece like The Miracle, Cedarwood, and RBW have become, and has not had as emphatic a reception as some other material (I like it, but I've noticed a fair chunk of negative commentary). If there's a new album, I'm sure it'll be on the chopping block. Once it goes, it's a matter of time before IWF enters rotation.

I agree with almost all of Axver's predictions except Every Breaking Wave getting dropped. IMO, it's the cornerstone song of the album and if anything, I think it will be eventually performed as a full band arrangement and moved to lead off the encore section of the set. EBW is the Moment Of Surrender/Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own of the current tour.

This is a good point. Bono in particular clearly thinks highly of the song and throws himself into it. Perhaps I should swap my EBW/SFS predictions.

can't see how invisible and even better get dropped considering how the screen is a big part of the performance

they are the cobl/vertigo/crazy of this tour

I'm expecting the band to rethink the start of the second set, if not before the European leg then before shows in 2016. Invisible, whatever its own qualities may be, has definitely not been the perfect post-intermission song and I can see the band dropping it or moving it elsewhere to try something new after the intermission.

I'm really disappointed that California has not been in the setlist and only played 2 (?) times. I was lucky to be there in the one night in LA that they did play it but still- I think it is such a great song. maybe they feel they can't do it justice without the strings in the recording? Or they just feel t doesn't fit in thematically?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Discotheque, as much as we joke about it and as unlikely as it seems these days, would work perfectly and I don't completely think the band would rule out trying it there.

Discotheque is one of my favourite songs but if it didn't come back on 360 despite such screamingly obvious oppurtunities and the extended snippet, I don't think it's coming back. Hilariously, the band may actually think they did it justice; U2.com claimed at least once that every single album was represented with Pop's representation based entirely on the Crazy Tonight snippet.

I'm expecting the band to rethink the start of the second set, if not before the European leg then before shows in 2016.

I think they are struggling to represent the 'experience' element of the show.
The 'innocent' set has a dialogue that works, echoes of early gigs, a lightbulb symbolising an idea, Iris's death, 70's Ireland, then all washed away in the waves.
The 'experience' set doesn't really tell a story. It's a well staged intro, fun middle section and a greatest hits finale, much like any U2 show. Though, I guess you could argue that is the representation?
How could they represent it better? I have no idea? But give me years of experience in the industry, a decent salary and budget and a few years to think it through and I bet I could have come up with something:lol:

They should use Zoo Station as the first song of the second set and then go into Invisible.

Personally, I think Invisble fits the theme of the first set more. I know that people will say "You've haven't seen the show, youtube, blah, blah, blah...", but I see the energy in the Red video (slick editing maybe?) and it blows away the Kraftwerk version.
Yes, the starting point for my 'experience' set would possibly be ZooTV.

Invisible would be better a 1st set closer than set 2 opener.
Let "there is no them" chant into the intermission.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Move Invisible right after Iris, play it on main stage and like the video.

Trash bin Song for Somebody and put EBW in it's slot.

Reach Me Now needs to start the second half, long intro, walking up into the screen, appropriate graphics.

Next up Crystal Ballroom, Mysterious Ways, and EBTTRT (if no balls to do Discotheque).

Troubles before WOWY.

Encore opens with California on main stage with cool screen graphics, leading into Gone.

Rotation of Bad and All I Want is You full band with 2001 Boston or Slane style transitions into the closer- Streets.

Boom.

I mean I haven't seen the show in person yet, but Until The End Of The World seems to be a fairly perfect way to end the first set.

Agreed. Invisible could work early in the first set. I think it could also work opening the encore and going into City of Blinding Lights... and it also fits with the "Global Citizen" thing with the No them/only us.

COBL/Invisible/Streets/something good to close like Bad would be a good encore.

Back
Top Bottom