The Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why have people been so quick to call The Troubles dead when California has been on life support?

Can't speak for others, but The Troubles is a great live song that should be played since it's one of the best songs they did in a long time, and California is a terrible track that shouldn't have ever been composed, let alone played live.

Can't speak for others, but The Troubles is a great live song that should be played since it's one of the best songs they did in a long time, and California is a terrible track that shouldn't have ever been composed, let alone played live.

We are in complete disagreeance regarding CA. Good day, sir.

I think Edges solo from MSG ON "Troubles" is pretty damn good. I like the way he cut off the notes short with a swift slide down the neck. Yes it's a little "samey" as a lot of his recent solos, but he's no Jimmy Page and that's okay. Edge has many great qualities as a player JP can't replicate.

This song I think deserves to be played as often as they play Cedarwood, Iris, RBW and SFS.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They still haven't played The Troubles.

I believe you've seen the last of that song. We have 4 live performances to view on YouTube for all of time. I feel like they absolutely NAILED IT at the MSG show. Such a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

I still think it will have another two or three rare airings on this tour, maybe London, but yeah it's pretty fucked. Such a great shame. The three best songs on the album have had a total four performances.

Very true. I've said this before, but when I saw them play California in Chicago, the crowd's reaction was very positive. They actually seemed to know it and respond to it.

"Reach me now" absolutely HAS to be played live. The fact that they haven't, but did play Lucifers Hands is quite puzzling. I get not playing "sleep like a baby tonight", that's a great song but not really suited to be played live.

I also can't believe SOI is over a year old!

That's such a crap argument though. I'm sure you see a ton of other bands live, I know I do, and they don't shy away from playing tracks that might not "suit" the live environment.

You're right, I've seen many shows by other bands where they play something a little darker and slower, much like SLABT. I guess I was thinking like U2 when I said that. If U2 played that song, I'd be extremely pleased! But they're so very afraid of playing something that the precious "casual fans" might now know, so we get more half naked versions of "desire". That is probably the song that I most hope to NOT get at a concert.

I've been to several concerts where a band has played a deep cut that I didn't know. And guess what... I survived, as did everybody else. Instead of singing along, I just watched and listened, and found a new track that I needed to go home and download.

:up:

I've long since lost count of the amount of times I've seen a gig and been blown away by a song I didn't know.

Maybe subconsciously I've not got tickets for this tour, despite them being so expensive, is because the setlist retains so many warhorses I've heard on other tours.

So funny because they rehearsed the heck out of it in Vancouver before the tour. Sounded great for LA5 too, and people keep raving about the single MSG performance.

Yeah, I had good timing and got it in all three cities I saw shows in (Vancouver, Montreal and NYC), and it was improving. Pretty much temporarily sucked the life out of the show in Vancouver, but it was improved and much more interesting in NYC, so it's a shame they didn't keep at it after that.

The Troubles is dead and buried along with Magnificent, Zoo Station and California.

....and TCB, Lucifer's Hands, and When Love Comes To Town

It's so weird how many great songs U2 have played and then thrown away this tour.

Exactly, Lucifer, Balroom, California, Troubles, Magnificient, all were awesome live. And they even didn´t a chance to Soldier. There is no logic.

Exactly, Lucifer, Balroom, California, Troubles, Magnificient, all were awesome live. And they even didn´t a chance to Soldier. There is no logic.

Before the tour I figured California and Volcano were shoe-ins for nightly staples. I also assumed RBW and Iris would never be played, so what do I know?

Last edited:
I felt pretty good about my four shows. I got:
California 2x
When Love Comes To Town 2x
Troubles
Miracle Drug
All I Want Is You
Beat On The Brat Intro/Punk Rock & Wanderer Intermission :)

I only went to 1 show (Chicago 5) but I got Gloria, California,ordinary Love, Bad and 40, along with all the regular stuff. Pretty happy with that, but I wish I'd at least done 2 Chicago shows. Stupid work!

I'm glad I went to the first two shows, so I got The Troubles AND California right off the bat! Ha.

I'm glad I went to the first two shows, so I got The Troubles AND California right off the bat! Ha.

Definitely something to be said for attending the opening shows, before the figure out certain songs "don't work". I'd honestly feel a little cheated if I were at the 1st Paris show. I'm sure it was still good, but most shows get 2-3 more songs, for the same ticket price.

At least the 4 Dublin shows should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom