So how are the new songs holding up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got to say, the guitar work Edge is doing during The Miracle is awesome...totally transforms the song for me.

The Miracle- sounds great, should probably be used as the 2nd song though.
Iris- I love it, others hate it. I love how Bono leads the crowd to sing at the end, but I think the Mofo snippet should be sang at every show.
Cedarwood Road- SO much better than the album version. A highlight of the show.
Song for Someone- meh
Raised by Wolves- the whole concept of a loss of innocence in that part of the show makes this song a lot better for some reason. Again, I like it a lot more than the album version.
Invisible- doesn't do much for me until the big reveal. Has a lot of potential though
Every Breaking Wave- don't like it. The drums and bass should at least come in if they're going to do the acoustic version. I would much, much prefer a full band version.
The Troubles- a bit boring the first night, unbelievably good at LA 5. Don't know what the difference was, just sounded much better. The extended solo is KILLER too
Ordinary Love- not much to say really, it's alright
Volcano- could be a bit bigger sounding/louder, but should be used in the first 4 songs consistently.
California- once it finds a place in the set, I think it'll be fantastic. I've liked the few times they've played it so far.

Did I miss one??? Overall I love the new songs, and I think they are a really, really important part of making the shows as good as they have been lately

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

From LA 3 & 4, the new songs sound fantastic. Iris sounds amazing (favorite song on SOI, so really happy it's a staple), The Miracle is a great opener, Cedarwood Road is a musical and visual highlight, and Bono sounds great on EBW. SFS is good, but that one was never gonna be a highlight. The end of RBW is intense (especially when Bono really gets into the Psalm 23 snippet going into UTEOTW).

Like what most people have said, Invisible sounds decent but a little low energy. Didn't see California, Troubles, or Volcano live so can't really comment on those.

It occurs to me that "This Is Where..." or "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" would fit nicely between EBW and Bullet the Blue Sky. Both are dark songs, which signal the entry into the 'heart of darkness' of Bullet.

It occurs to me that "This Is Where..." or "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" would fit nicely between EBW and Bullet the Blue Sky. Both are dark songs, which signal the entry into the 'heart of darkness' of Bullet.

I've thought the Troubles would but really any of the three

as long as they get played at some point. everyone says they don't think Sleep Like a Baby would work live but honestly I think it would, especially if Edge rips it up.

One question I have is what the general audience 'awareness' of the new song seems to be, in the opinion of fans who have seen it. More than the NLOTH songs on 360? Non-single HTDAAB songs on Vertigo?

I've seen a few people suggest Invisible's reaction has been flat because nobody knows it, but this suggests that it 'stood out' and people were more familiar with the other new songs; there seems to be a consensus that The Miracle is pretty familiar to most people there too, or at least gets a lot of participation. (Though of course it's very easy to join in even if you don't know it)

I've been to every show on the tour so far and Cedarwood Road definitely stands out the most.

Iris...perfect

Wolves...perfect

Invisible...so far restrained performances :(

Cedarwood...not appropriate arrangment for this kind os a song

Miracle...falls flat in the key they are playing it, not good enough song

Waves...it´s moving, but at the same time I´m missing album version

Troubles...it needs to be put on a different spot - a closing song

Volcano, Soldier, California, Ballroom, Lucifer, Baby (at least a snippet) - there is no excuse for not playing it

This

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Gah- Invisible has really grown on me and being in GA I can't see anything in the screen so it's anti-climactic for me.I do get why they did it- to play and be invisible 'I'm more than you see"... And the idea is really really cool. I just don't think it works very well. Its very krafwerk. It's too long until the band are "revealed" and I think I'm spoiled by that video they did for it (which is awesome!)

maybe they will retool.

I think... cut the wanderer and use the band in some sort in the screen during the intermission - maybe numb? Or the troubles with band on main or e stage and a dancer doing something lyrical inside of it. And at some shows have a guest singer come down out of the rig

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I attended the two PHX and 5 LA shows. The new songs seemed to go over great. Plus fans were happy when The Troubles and Volcano were played too.

I've seen loads of fans singing along to all of the new songs - Miracle, Song For Someone... and truly rocking out to Cedarwood Road.

So judging by what I saw around me for 7 shows... it looks like the new songs are going over pretty well.

I attended the two PHX and 5 LA shows. The new songs seemed to go over great. Plus fans were happy when The Troubles and Volcano were played too.

I've seen loads of fans singing along to all of the new songs - Miracle, Song For Someone... and truly rocking out to Cedarwood Road.

So judging by what I saw around me for 7 shows... it looks like the new songs are going over pretty well.

OMG, E_O, that sounds awesome! Only U2 show I've been to was 2011 360 show in Chicago, which was actually damn fine as it had rare One Tree Hill performance, and they also played Out of Control (well, not so rare now.....). But this SOI/SOE tour looks great

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

All this cell phone filming is really bothering me. Can't you just enjoy the show. The dude in the white tshirt is having a great time dancing around. Every 360 show I was at that was how all the crowd around me were acting. It was awesome. Good lord at 2:30 in that. Idea there are a couple of twats actually taking selfies with Bono in the background. Yeah go to a U2 concert, get a great spot at the front, then turn your back on the band to take a selfie. FUCK OFF!!!

All this cell phone filming is really bothering me. Can't you just enjoy the show. The dude in the white tshirt is having a great time dancing around. Every 360 show I was at that was how all the crowd around me were acting. It was awesome. Good lord at 2:30 in that. Idea there are a couple of twats actually taking selfies with Bono in the background. Yeah go to a U2 concert, get a great spot at the front, then turn your back on the band to take a selfie. FUCK OFF!!!
Well I think there's a difference between don't it the whole show and every once in a while. I pretty much guarantee that I'll take a couple videos, just because it'll be the first time I have this great of technology in a handheld device. But it's not like I'll be on my phone the entire time.

At each show, I took a couple 30-60 second videos and about a dozen photos. So over two shows (about 4 1/2 hours), I probably spent 6 or 7 minutes looking through my camera. Not bad, I'd say.

At each show, I took a couple 30-60 second videos and about a dozen photos. So over two shows (about 4 1/2 hours), I probably spent 6 or 7 minutes looking through my camera. Not bad, I'd say.
Yeah that's the way to do it.

Yeah, I did pretty much the same thing at the SJ shows. In my previous 30 or so shows over the years I hadn't taken one picture as I prefer to enjoy the show and be in the moment (and it always annoyed me when people had their phone/ cam up). This time however, I wanted to "give back" to the forum a little bit and Periscope any surprises and some warhorses. I will say that it absolutely did detach me from the show and took me out of the moment, so for the rest I just left the phone in my pocket to let the audio stream.

I hope to fly back to catch one or two NYC shows, and will not be taking the phone out my damn pocket.

Me neither. Phone will not be coming out of my pocket one time and never has. Hope I'm next to you in NYC, brooklynmike.

I barely ever take photos or videos. I go to concerts to burn it into my brain.

I thought L'sH was unremarkable and kindof lost track of it while saying hello to Win and Regine who I managed to land beside somehow, and then bemusedly watched as fans descended upon them for pics, finally driving them away. So it kindof fell right off the radar, really.

I would have seriously lost my shit had it been TCB (and likely not given a shit about W&R) however.

Sent from my ass crack

Which is surprising considering that this is a double album and people know the song 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins which was on the second CD of their double album.

Back
Top Bottom