How can true fans of MYSTERIOUS WAYS......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
....... be silent and are not feeling guilty for not protesting the non-existence of the SLIDE SOLO which makes this song so memorable ?!?!

Ummm... and how would we protest? By turning around during the song live or holding up signs saying "Play the **** solo!"?

Which would actually be pretty funny, I guess.

We really get what your trying to say

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know you get, I know all other fans get........ but why IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER our beloved band U2 can't understand the real strength of MW !!!! I am beyond furious. That's why I am pasting all those links.

Slide solo or not, as long as it shows up every night, I'm happy. It's my favorite song ever, and I even have Ad's bass part from the chorus as a tattoo around my left ankle.

It's pointless to speculate and wonder why they play certain songs certain ways.

By your logic, "true" fans should hate the new SBS. They shouldn't want the band to do When Love Comes To Town ever again since last night's performance was a bit slower than Vancouver 2. The band is only ever allowed to play album style cuts and never variations for fear of offending "true fans".
I'll just quote Larry. FOAD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Every tour, they takes songs many love one way and do them another way. It still sounds very much the same to me.

We all have our own preferences, some PREFER this version. I loved I'LL GO CRAZY... on album, but that live version that they played every show except I think once was a crazy funky version that wasn't even close to the song. So it could be worse.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is always a bit different. I mean after 30 years plus you would find new ones to entertain yourself.

I think Counting Crows is great and they sound great live a lot of times, but some of their hits like MR. JONES Adam Duritz just can't hit the notes, so he never sings it the way he did on the album. At least Bono can sing most of the songs live (I think that's why we never will hear Red Hill Mining Town due to he can't hit notes).

And come on... you've all seen other bands butcher their own songs. Most bands aren't very good live... or if they were, they aren't anymore. Rolling Stones. Aerosmith. It's hard to play rock songs when your plus 50. U2 is still killing it which is impressive. Bruce is even more impressive because he's older, play 3 plus hours and has to carry the entire show himself. But U2 has the advantage of being my favorite band ever.

If they're just going to play a truncated version, I'm good with them giving the song a rest for a tour. Same with Still Haven't Found, WOWY, Pride, One or any of the other warhorses they feel they have to play (some of the warhorses are still great whenever they're played, like Streets, NYD or UTEOTW, but some need a break). Give it your all or play something else. They have more than enough good songs to take its place.

Last edited:
If they're just going to play a truncated version, I'm good with them giving the song a rest for a tour. Same with Still Haven't Found, WOWY, Pride, One or any of the other warhorses they feel they have to play (some of the warhorses are still great whenever they're played, like Streets, NYD or UTEOTW, but some need a break). Give it your all or play something else. They have more than enough good songs to take its place.

I agree, I would rather see them go on an extended version of a song, with Edge wailing away at the guitar and improvising, than some sort of "hat tip" to the song to just appease some people. MW is one of my all time faves, though, so I'll be happy to hear it live for the first time. But... that solo!

Slide solo or not, as long as it shows up every night, I'm happy. It's my favorite song ever, and I even have Ad's bass part from the chorus as a tattoo around my left ankle.

It's pointless to speculate and wonder why they play certain songs certain ways.

By your logic, "true" fans should hate the new SBS. They shouldn't want the band to do When Love Comes To Town ever again since last night's performance was a bit slower than Vancouver 2. The band is only ever allowed to play album style cuts and never variations for fear of offending "true fans".
I'll just quote Larry. FOAD.

Unlike all their other changes, all fans are left completely stumped by the slide solo omission. I haven't even heard any plausible theory, unless they don't like MW taking attention away from newer songs.

If anything, it would benefit the show if they put it back in, give Bono 2 more minutes of onstage time without singing and give Edge more glory. It's not like it takes extreme rehearsal or is challenging on Bono's voice or any of the band members memory.

Tell me how to protest, and I am there. I still love MW in its original form, but come on, that slide solo just takes it to another level. One of the most memorable things they have done. MW Zoo tv sydney is one of my top five live moments, not just from u2, but from any band

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I say until they put the slide back into MW we should turn our collective backs to the band and drop trou - you know "MOON" them en masse.

It's a mystery... and it's such an easy part to play for the band, that I can't understand. Mysterious Ways without the solo is like Santana songs without guitar.

I'm just baffled by how MW has lacked the slide solo both on 360 and now on IE.

I remember attending a 360 show with a friend who had avoided setlists, for whom Mysterious Ways is an all-time favourite U2 song, and as excited as they were when it began, the disappointment at not hearing the slide solo seemed to take away a little from the rest of the show. It's why we want to hear it live, you know? It takes the song to another level.

Personally I was surprised the solo was still there on POPMart.
As it isn't on the album version I sort of reckoned they wanted to play around with the song a bit live.
But then on POPMart they played it exactly the same way as on ZOOTV.

Besides, I think they feel that without the solo the song is a bit more flexible within the setlist.

Personally I was surprised the solo was still there on POPMart.
As it isn't on the album version I sort of reckoned they wanted to play around with the song a bit live.
But then on POPMart they played it exactly the same way as on ZOOTV.

Besides, I think they feel that without the solo the song is a bit more flexible within the setlist.

Yep. Nailed it.

And if they add a 2 minute slide solo then they are potentially taking away another song from the setlist. Sticking to the album version, as it were, gives them room to toss in things like full band Desire, Sweetest Thing, etc. Can't complain when those gems are returning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

And if they add a 2 minute slide solo then they are potentially taking away another song from the setlist. Sticking to the album version, as it were, gives them room to toss in things like full band Desire, Sweetest Thing, etc. Can't complain when those gems are returning.

Who said anything about the MW solo knocking out another song. It's not like they are an opening act with 40 minutes to work with or a Van Morrison show where he's never onstage for 1 second longer than 90 minutes.

They can start 2 minutes earlier or go 2 minutes "over" some imaginary curfew line in nearly all indoor venues. If anything it gives Bono 2 minutes to catch his breath and get a bit of water.

If U2 goes over 2 hours, 20 minutes or 24 songs (whichever comes first), the band turns into gremlins.

Back
Top Bottom