Can we just agree...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
That like the setlist or not it is exciting to see the band mix up their sets more than they (ever??) have.

Looking forward to Toronto 1 & 2 and what surprises are in store!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

BUT U2 HAZ MOAR SONGZ NOW SO THEY SHUD PLAY DIFFERENT STUFFS!!!!

or whatever the stupid argument is...
Why is it a stupid argument in the first place? The bigger their discography, the more they could shake things up (a little more)....

Why is it a stupid argument in the first place? The bigger their discography, the more they could shake things up (a little more)....

But they are not going to. When is this going to sink in?

Seriously, they don't give a flying fuck what some nerds on the fucking internet want them to play. They clearly like certain songs or feel they need to be played night in and night out and no arguments or carefully thought out setlist suggestions from me or you or anybody else is going to change that.

Seriously, they don't give a flying fuck what some nerds on the fucking internet want them to play. They clearly like certain songs or feel they need to be played night in and night out and no arguments or carefully thought out setlist suggestions from me or you or anybody else is going to change that.

I don't think anyone is that naieve....But what's the point of this forum anyway if we're ''not aloud'' to discuss certain songs/setlist choices?

Would U2 have kept playing unreleased songs on 360 if we were in the pre-internet era and the songs weren't being widely shared? Maybe, but U2 are a fickle band sometimes, and if they got a lacklustre response one night, they may have given up quickly. Having some people who knew the words from the second performance onwards can't have hurt.

The Crystal Ballroom was played after repeated requests as Bono has mentioned. They may have played it regardless, but maybe the requests gave the band the push that they needed to go for it.

Discussion is fun, and maybe there's a 0.001% chance that the band will act on a fan's idea. That's enough for me.

That like the setlist or not it is exciting to see the band mix up their sets more than they (ever??) have.

Looking forward to Toronto 1 & 2 and what surprises are in store!

What metric are you using to define 'mixed up'? They've played 42 unique songs, and that is amazing.

They've played 19 at every show, and that is balls.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Right....when a thread is titled "Can we just agree...", no need to click on it to know the answer is "no".

That was my first instinct as well :lol: I planned to respond with just no, but then figured it might be perceived as rude by newbies so I made it more elaborate. Who says we can't be considerate. :wink:

What metric are you using to define 'mixed up'? They've played 42 unique songs, and that is amazing.

Yeah, these two opinions are not mutually exclusive.

I love how they've done such a wide variety of songs, and have even more up their sleeve. I hate that they're so stuck on doing 19 of them that the remaining 23 struggle to break into the setlist.

Some are obviously essential to the narrative - IWF/Iris, RBW/UTEOTW - and others like Streets and BD aren't going anywhere. But there's no reason for such inflexibility when they have so many songs they can play, clearly want to play, and would fit the narrative just as well as the staples.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Night to night there is 20-25% rotation in the setlist. Plus the fact that they are still managing to surprise people to a certain extent.

I don't have the info at my fingertips but have they ever played this many unique songs this early in a tour?

I understand that the first half is very static but I think the band have struck a decent balance and the rotation is something this band doesn't have a history of doing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but colour me surprised.

yeah couldnt agree more ax, happy they're trying to play a wide range of songs but need to rotate more songs on a nightly basis instead of a maximum of 4!
hope they unearth some POP before oz

yeah couldnt agree more ax, happy they're trying to play a wide range of songs but need to rotate more songs on a nightly basis instead of a maximum of 4!
hope they unearth some POP before oz

And then drop the Pop material for more Atyclb when they get here :|

hahahah fair enough :wink:
only song id like to see live from ATYCLB is stuck (i know its hated by a lot of people) but very nostalgic for me and i had it on high rotation as a kid and it helped me during a rough time! New york would be sick as well!
got to see IALW, Walk on, elevation and BD last tour and besides BD the others were forgettable

Last time I heard Stuck live, Bone mentioned Hutch in his intro speech and I let my imagination convince me for a microsecond that Gone was a possibility :shifty:

I actually did get Elevation at two of the shows I went to and Stuck at the first one as well. Oddly enough, they have been giving those songs a significant rest this time around.

Gone would be a dandy though, no question.

Beautiful Day is about the only thing they're playing consistently off of it, so just one song?

On Vertigo / 360 atyclb got about the same representation here as the new albums had, sometimes more.

Last edited:
Night to night there is 20-25% rotation in the setlist. Plus the fact that they are still managing to surprise people to a certain extent.

In LA(5 shows) and Montreal(4 shows) only 1 song slot per night was completely unique in all the nights played in that city.

That 4% per night, not 25%. Unless you are counting some cities getting the same "rotation" song upwards of 3 times.

While virtually everyone of the SOI related songs sound great live, there is a weird lack of creativity when it comes to back catalogue choices. Most of which are just Elevation-360 repeats.

Songs U2 brought back from the "setlist graveyard" on past tours:

Elevation: Out of Control(36), Spanish Eyes, All Along The Watchtower, Sort of Homecoming(2), In God's Country(3), 11 Tick Tock(8), Sweetest Thing and Stay.

Vertigo: Electric Co, Fly, Zoo Station, 40, Running Standstill, Ocean, Cry, Gloria, In to The Heart, Out of Control(9), An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Discotheque(2), Wanderer(2), Sarajevo, First Time, One Tree Hill, Mothers o Disappeared, Love is Blindness(1) and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

360: Out of Control(8), MLK, Ultraviolet, Unforgettable Fire, Scarlet, Your Blue Room, Electrical Storm(2), Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Love Rescue Me, Wanderer, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Zooropa

I&E: Hands snippet, 4 BB King tributes and a lone non-setlisted busker version of In God's Country.

Particularly annoying when they have sound checked Playboy Mansion, One Step Closer, Trying To Throw Your Arms, Acoustic Fly, 2 Hearts Beat, 11 Clock Tick Tock, An Cat Dubh, full Moment of Surrender, No Line on the Horizon, possibly Numb and an unidentified song at Rogers arena I was 30% sure was Wild Horses

Bono's line about Crystal Ballroom being THE song fans have been asking for struck me as odd. I think they only started asking after Bono acknowledged the rehearsal meeting fans in Phoenix. Fan polls have the song quite low, and I haven't really seen anybody complain that CB should have been on an album.

Fan polls have songs like: Acrobat, Sort of Homecoming, So Cruel, Anything from Pop, proper Wild Horses, proper God's Country, Gone, Anything sung by Edge, Kite, Mofo(snipped a couple times this year), 2 Hearts Beat, Love Is Blindness, Seconds, Electrical Storm, Dirty Day, Hawkmoon, Wire, Crumbs Table, 2 Shots of Happy, Stories For Boys, Man & A Woman and Lemon if it's possible to play without singing falsetto.

In LA(5 shows) and Montreal(4 shows) only 1 song slot per night was completely unique in all the nights played in that city.

That 4% per night, not 25%. Unless you are counting some cities getting the same "rotation" song upwards of 3 times.

Point taken but when you look at set variation on a 2 night basis, there is a 20-25% change.

I have seen the band over 20 times and multiple nights in a city and this is the most varied I have seen them night to night.

Just my opinion....

That's no more than previous tours. Take most two night stands on 360 and you'll find 4-5 songs changed per night. Similar is true on the two tours before that.

IE has an unprecedented number of songs that U2 are cycling through over the whole leg, but the quantity of nightly changes is on par with the pattern of the previous three tours.

Back
Top Bottom