a song from Pop on the IE tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitebusnitebus

War Child
well apparently I can't start polls because you gotta pay for that, but we all want a song from Pop, don't we? which ones would fit the best?

I can make an argument for all 12 songs...

Discotheque: replace Even Better
Do You Feel Loved: perfect e-stage song
Mofo: play before I Will Follow
If God..: e-stage
Staring at the Sun: e-stage, Bono and Edge only or full band
Last Night on Earth: e-stage
Gone: anywhere. it would literally fit anywhere. maybe best in the encore?
Miami: could be reworked for the e-stage. I still say this stupid song was great live
The Playboy Mansion: begs for the e-stage. fits better there than it would've on the Popmart tour.
If You Wear That Velvet Dress: e-stage
Please: after SBS, leading into Raised by Wolves (couldn't you picture the "please...please..." leading into the news intro?)
Wake Up Dead Man: replaces Hands that Built America in Europe as a segue into Running to Stand Still/One Step Closer

what do you think?

I think you could do a pretty good If God Would send... into Streets, rather than the Mother and Child Reunion.

Throw Mofo in after I Will Follow, as a lead-in to Iris. "That was a song about my mom. Hey, here's another one! "

Not from Pop, but from the Pop era (it was cut off the album late in the process). Slide SFS after Iris and "North and South of the River" would be a great bridge between Cedarwood and Wolves. Obviously, the North Side and South Side element of Cedarwood, but also the political connection of Wolves. It would be a perfect fit, but incredibly unlikely to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Not from Pop, but from the Pop era (it was cut off the album late in the process). Slide SFS after Iris and "North and South of the River" would be a great bridge between Cedarwood and Wolves. Obviously, the North Side and South Side element of Cedarwood, but also the political connection of Wolves. It would be a perfect fit, but incredibly unlikely to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ5V5Fb18k

This song is so good.

End the first set with Until the End of the World, end the second set with Last Night on Earth

yeah definitley ^ i dont think he could sing gone anymore (the falsetto bridge) would have to do something different!
please would be nice and mofo :drool:

I would take just about anything but you know if they dare play anything from it it'll be Staring at the Sun acoustic on the e stage ?

Semi-realistic / semi-never going to happen

Something like

EBW
Mofo
AIWIY
Wowy
Gone
Bullet
Please (snippet) / NYD

Beautiful Day
Streets

Insert Bad somewhere for every second show

Discotheque: would be ideal rotating with EBTTRT and MW.
DYFL: definitely would be a fun E stage song.
Mofo: put it before IWF and do the Mofo/IWF segue from Popmart.
IGWSHA: forget this exists.
SATS: so easy for E stage but let's not.
LNOE: this would be a great set closer.
Gone: early in the second set. Or put it in the encore to give the encore some oomph.
Miami: let's not.
Playboy Mansion: meh.
Velvet Dress: meh. I like this but I don't feel particularly strongly about it being played again.
Please: this is such an obvious choice for the SBS/RBW/UTEOTW section. I can't believe it hasn't even been snippeted yet.
WUDM: like Velvet Dress really.

Sometimes I wonder if they think Hold Me Thrill Me was on Pop, and that because they played it on 360 that's job done for the next 10+ years

Mofo and Please would both fit beautifully. Gone would be cool, but would fit less than both. However, I think the most realistic possibility is SATS coming to the e-stage.

Mofo and Please would both fit beautifully. Gone would be cool, but would fit less than both. However, I think the most realistic possibility is SATS coming to the e-stage.

If the innocence theme kicks off with a song about why they started a band, I think having a song about the trappings of being in a band, Gone would fit well in the experience portion of the show.

They could make just about ANY song fit into the theme of this show somehow. They just don't want to play POP because they're afraid of it. Discotheque, Mofo, SATS, Gone and Please could effortlessly be plugged into this setlist.

I bet that Mofo snippet got everyone's hopes up :hmm: I don't see the full thing coming tbh, but the tour may get long, no one knew Zooropa was coming on 360, right?
I think Discotheque might appear next year if they do second round with the same setup.
Would be cool if they brought back SATS, If God Will Send and/or Please (absolutely agree that the ending of Please would be amazing for that 'bombing' transition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ5V5Fb18k

This song is so good.

End the first set with Until the End of the World, end the second set with Last Night on Earth

fantastic song right here, and I agree, would work great in the show and fits the idea of splitting the audience in half

the second half of the show has absolutely no theme at all. I would like to see them move back into a Joshua Tree tour style ending of the second set though

The Troubles
Bullet the Blue Sky / Wake Up Dead Man (snippet; replacing Hands)
Running to Stand Still (guitar version; occasional swap with One Step Closer)
With or Without You
October
New Year's Day
Pride (in the Name of Love)

I'd be happy to see Mofo anywhere. As long it doesn't replace Iris (I love this song).

How about Please to replace Hands in Europe. But whole song instead of a snippet.

fantastic song right here, and I agree, would work great in the show and fits the idea of splitting the audience in half

the second half of the show has absolutely no theme at all. I would like to see them move back into a Joshua Tree tour style ending of the second set though

The Troubles

Bullet the Blue Sky / Wake Up Dead Man (snippet; replacing Hands)

Running to Stand Still (guitar version; occasional swap with One Step Closer)

With or Without You

October

New Year's Day

Pride (in the Name of Love)

I'd be happy to see Mofo anywhere. As long it doesn't replace Iris (I love this song).

How about Please to replace Hands in Europe. But whole song instead of a snippet.

If the innocence theme kicks off with a song about why they started a band, I think having a song about the trappings of being in a band, Gone would fit well in the experience portion of the show.

:up: to all of this.

Let's be serious; there is no theme to the second half of the show

The weird part is that it sort of, kind of starts with a theme about "experience" - as a band, in the world, partying, whatever - and then... completely loses it. I'm glad for that, because it gives us the rotating part of the set, clearly one of the most fun and loose parts of each show, but then it also leads to the hits parade. At least they seem to be now working on improving the flow of that, though COBL/Bullet is baffling.

That screen screams for Last Night On Earth. Can't believe they're ignoring Pop again. Discotheque, Mofo, Gone, Please. :drool: Instead we get Elevation, City Of Blinding Lights, Stuck or whatever.

I almost want to start a new thread for Zooropa but what the hell, lovers of Pop and Zooropa are pretty inclusive I think.

Zooropa: didn't get to see the European audiences on 360 despite the fact that the song is literally about Europe. a great candidate to be featured inside the screen and be a real attention grabber. I know it's probably a longshot but I hope the band give it some form of consideration, they obviously loved playing it on 360 considering it didn't miss a single show outside of Glastonbury.
Babyface: I really like this dumb song and think it would be fun on the e-stage, but no chance
Numb: will this ever see the light of day again? Edge seems very insistent on a lot of the setlist choices these days (if what Bono says is any indication), surely he can get B to sit out a song, right? or sing those backing vocals? I don't know where it would go though, I guess on the e-stage.
Lemon: probably can't sing this anymore but I'm sure they could find a way. again, no slot for it, would be odd on the e-stage
Stay: bring back the full band acoustic version from ZooTV. this is the most likely of all of these
Daddy's Gonna Pay: would be PERFECT for the e-stage. tie it into today's big instagram/over glamorization of sugar daddies and it's more relevant than it was in 1993.
Some Days: another dumb song I really like that would be great on the e-stage and I still want it to get played, as like Playboy Mansion, it's the underdog AND the only one to not be played before
The First Time: no reason this couldn't be done on the e-stage either. I know this site mostly balks at the B&E acoustic songs but I think this is easily the most acceptable one.
Dirty Day: no spot in the setlist for it but damn if this song doesn't need a revival. it would be a serious attention grabber and in Europe I'm sure it would go over well. should've been done on Vertigo.
The Wanderer: I still hold some belief this will graduate from the intermission video into a full band version on the e-stage for a special occasion (such as a show in Nashville). just leave the backing vocals at home.

Back
Top Bottom