a song from Pop on the IE tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't see them playing Discotheque in the screens. As a solely e-stage song, then maybe.

Would like to see it, but I wonder if the length or mood would keep it from fitting in with what the first four songs are trying to do right now.

yeah you're kind of right. they'd be more likely to swap it with Mysterious Ways which I would be more than okay with, especially considering there's no slide solo

I think Mofo would fit within the first few songs if they did the 2005 version of it that we have a short clip of. more likely, and this should really happen: he should cut the ending singalong of Iris that he tries to do and sing a bit of Tomorrow there.

Bullet into Please.

But DYFL really deserves to be played too. Best song on the album imo.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Well the band is already getting the 'itch' to change things around for the better. Like having BD be the first song of the encore. So anything is possible. My prediction is a Pop song makes it in in Europe. But it may be an acoustic SATS. Please or Mofo would be better.

like Axver said, I can't believe Please hasn't even been snippeted, considering it was pretty regular the last two tours. Bono has spoken many times about his love for the song, I think it has probably the best chance of making it in.

Do You Feel Loved got good right at the end of it's run and I think it would be perfect if they found it's footing on the e-stage, where it would work great.

also because it was at the bottom of the last page:

I almost want to start a new thread for Zooropa but what the hell, lovers of Pop and Zooropa are pretty inclusive I think.

Zooropa: didn't get to see the European audiences on 360 despite the fact that the song is literally about Europe. a great candidate to be featured inside the screen and be a real attention grabber. I know it's probably a longshot but I hope the band give it some form of consideration, they obviously loved playing it on 360 considering it didn't miss a single show outside of Glastonbury.
Babyface: I really like this dumb song and think it would be fun on the e-stage, but no chance
Numb: will this ever see the light of day again? Edge seems very insistent on a lot of the setlist choices these days (if what Bono says is any indication), surely he can get B to sit out a song, right? or sing those backing vocals? I don't know where it would go though, I guess on the e-stage.
Lemon: probably can't sing this anymore but I'm sure they could find a way. again, no slot for it, would be odd on the e-stage
Stay: bring back the full band acoustic version from ZooTV. this is the most likely of all of these
Daddy's Gonna Pay: would be PERFECT for the e-stage. tie it into today's big instagram/over glamorization of sugar daddies and it's more relevant than it was in 1993.
Some Days: another dumb song I really like that would be great on the e-stage and I still want it to get played, as like Playboy Mansion, it's the underdog AND the only one to not be played before
The First Time: no reason this couldn't be done on the e-stage either. I know this site mostly balks at the B&E acoustic songs but I think this is easily the most acceptable one.
Dirty Day: no spot in the setlist for it but damn if this song doesn't need a revival. it would be a serious attention grabber and in Europe I'm sure it would go over well. should've been done on Vertigo.
The Wanderer: I still hold some belief this will graduate from the intermission video into a full band version on the e-stage for a special occasion (such as a show in Nashville). just leave the backing vocals at home.

Discotheque should be swapping out with Mysterious Ways every other night...there's a lot of switches they could do like that which would break up the monotony of hearing the same 19 songs every single night...

Sometimes I wonder if they think Hold Me Thrill Me was on Pop, and that because they played it on 360 that's job done for the next 10+ years

Actually, they made a big deal about every album including Passengers and a song from Batman Forever being represented every night on 360 at one point. Those nights specifically included a prominent Discotheque snippet during Crazy Tonight in order to reach that goal.

Actually, they made a big deal about every album including Passengers and a song from Batman Forever being represented every night on 360 at one point. Those nights specifically included a prominent Discotheque snippet during Crazy Tonight in order to reach that goal.

My shows only got Pseudo Echo and Frankie Goes to Hollywood snippets. I immediately demanded my money back of course :whistle:

I'd like them to take another crack at Do You Feel Loved, I reckon Declan Gaffney and Matt Paul could come up with a mix that would work for them on this tour.

Resurrecting this thread with thoughts about the 2nd phase of the i+e tour, which we presume will show off eXPERIENCE.
Sounds like they will be keeping the same stage setting, and wanting to take it to more cities. I read that as meaning they don't feel many people saw the 2015 show, and want to show its main parts off to more people. Thus, not a total overhaul of the Setlist, because they still have many first timers to debut the show to. Playing new cities like Seattle, Portland, Calgary means the show will largely stay in tact, as opposed to if they were only playing the same Chicago, NYC, Boston, etc circuit that would need a more revised show since they already saw it 6-8 times last yr.

I take this as meaning that realistically we will see 5-6 songs from the new SOE album, as well as probably only 2-3 thematically relevant older tracks will swap in. That's approx 8 songs switched out, and even typing that it seems optimistically high to me, could be only 5-6 songs total switching.

Thinking of likely songs to swap OUT I'm thinking most of SOI - Miracle, Iris, Cedarwood, SFS, Wolves, Invisible, EBW- perhaps one will survive, depending on what set pieces the new SOE songs can fill. For instance, the 2 most likely candidates I could see surviving would be Cedarwood because of its specular use of Bono walking thru the screen. Surely this effect will be wanted to be shown off, so it would depend on whether one of the new SOE songs suits that effect. Secondly, I could see EBW possibly surviving due to its spot on the e-stage with the piano and Bono likes showing off his voice. Again, it would depend on whether a new SOE fills that role. All the rest of SOI I see disappearing despite how well some were received, like Iris and Wolves.

As for thematically relevant older songs to resurrect, I see Pop getting dusted off finally. The band knows that fans have been waiting, and with the experience theme, there is no better time than now. If not now, I really don't think we will see U2 as 60yr olds playing Mofo, Discotheque type songs. Considering that I have identified Iris as being dropped, that leaves a great spot for Mofo to fit thematically coming out of I Will follow and great potential for the giant screen to come alive at that point in the show.

Another idea I pondered is the opening section of the show. Formally like a 'punk rock' gig, could this be redesigned for experience to reflect a 'dance club' gig instead? That would be ballsy for the band, but they were recently willing to go with 4 No Line tracks to open 360, not to mention perform one of their singles from the album in full dance remix format. Mofo and Discotheque would be top choices for this dance club gig part of the show. Perhaps keep Vertigo in there, but mix it up with a new dancy arrangement. Or there likely to be song or two from new SOE the would fit nicely. Think The Best Thing kygo version.

If Discotheque does not make it in new opening dance set, then another likely spot would be in the 2nd set replacing Real thing or Mysterious Ways. The 4 Colors on the screen when band is playing Real Thing in the screen reminds me of the 4 color stage lighting used for the song during the Elevation tour. Or else under the ramp mirror balls during the mysterious way spot makes obvious sence too.

As for the introduction of the 2nd set- visually appearing in the screen and becoming 'invisible', switching thematically from innocence to experience I could see Gone being effective. Keeping the thought that u can see them in the screen, and as it goes black they are 'going....going.... Gone"

With the way the world has been going, I could see Please delivering the message they are looking for. Expecially coming out of Bullet if they keep its commentary on current events/possibly even a Trump statement.

If there is not another piano tune on the new SOE album, then I would love the EBW spot being replaced with North and south of the River with Edge on piano- again thematically tying in the north and south side of the audience. But given how much the band likes EBW I don't see this happening despite how much sence it makes.

Lastly, SATS could easily fill the acoustic spot formally Desire/AOH.

I think it's too much to expect all these Pop additions, but it shows they have a number of options that could work and hopefully we get at least 1 or 2 of them appearing along with the new SOE songs!

Last edited:
Replacing tired Mysterious Ways with Discotheque is so obvious that they'll never do it.

After Bono snippeted Mofo during Iris I generally and stupidly thought it was because it had been rehearsed or was either going to be eventually. Alas, that snippet didn't last long and my hopes were wrong. Very wrong.

Gone and Last Night on Earth seem like good fits but require Bono to play guitar which isn't happening anytime soon. Please will surely make a comeback at some stage either as an encore or acoustically on the e-stage. As much as I love WUDM, I would rather see a more ballsy move and hear Mofo or Do You Feel Loved. Even if it sounds bad and they play it only a couple of times. At least they tried.

Gone has been played on the Elevation Tour without Bono on guitar. Sounded pretty good. So there really is no excuse not to play that track.

Gone has been played on the Elevation Tour without Bono on guitar. Sounded pretty good. So there really is no excuse not to play that track.

Really???

All footage I've seen from the Elevation Tour shows Bono playing guitar. It's actually one of the songs he plays most on. In this clip for instance it's basically only his guitar coming through the mix and it's incredible.

Last edited:
After Bono snippeted Mofo during Iris I generally and stupidly thought it was because it had been rehearsed or was either going to be eventually. Alas, that snippet didn't last long and my hopes were wrong. Very wrong.

Gone and Last Night on Earth seem like good fits but require Bono to play guitar which isn't happening anytime soon. Please will surely make a comeback at some stage either as an encore or acoustically on the e-stage. As much as I love WUDM, I would rather see a more ballsy move and hear Mofo or Do You Feel Loved. Even if it sounds bad and they play it only a couple of times. At least they tried.

Gone really is the spot on definition of Experience. And its an amazing song, so there's that...

Really???

All footage I've seen from the Elevation Tour shows Bono playing guitar. It's actually one of the songs he plays most on. In this clip for instance it's basically only his guitar coming through the mix and it's incredible.

You're posting an IEM here, that's impressive. I've never heard an IEM from the Elevation tour before, thanks. I'm surprised his guitar is so audible here.

But now listen to any crowd recorded versions. You can hardly or not hear Bono in the mix. This is the problem with his guitar playing, according to himself he 'hates hearing himself play'. The only way to have heard Bono play guitar on the 360 tour is pretty much through IEMs.

So while you are correct that he did play/wear guitar (I seriously had forgotten about that), he was barely audible most of the time. So my point was basically that it's not absolutely necessary for Bono to play guitar on Gone for them to sound right. There's no excuse for them not to play that song. Really, none. If guitar was the issue they could pull up a random guitarist from the crowd each night to play Gone with them, just like they did with Angel of Harlem this tour. Just play the friggin' song!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom