Why they are doing this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in college now and I don't think people find it "uncool" to like U2 or anything, people my age just don't give a shit. If anything the few people I've talked to who know who they are are at least neutral or not outwardly negative towards them. I was hanging out with a friend the other day and was talking about my U2 fandom when he brought up Songs of Innocence. He said something to the effect that he'll take a free album any day of the week and actually liked a lot of the songs... he had no idea who U2 was or knew any of their music prior to Songs of Innocence, so they really just aren't on the minds of people my age. (unless they are making drive by Twitter posts about an album they can't* remove from their phone)

Anyways, I wear my U2 shirts around campus and honestly haven't ever been embarrassed to be a U2 fan or anything like that... most people my age just don't give a shit either way. *shrug*

I'm 21 entering my last year of undergrad btw.

I can confirm this is accurate. I already graduated 3 years ago, but during my education and now. . I have no problem in sharing the fact that i love this band.
And nobody gives a fuck or is positive about them. Those who know who they are , have a lot of respect for them. Thise who don't know thwn just say "okay, cool", and go on with their life.

Would never "hide" the fact that i love U2

Conversely, my experience has been the opposite of the two of you. I'm 25, and in my 12 years as a fan, I've definitely noticed a pronounced and common hatred of the band that I don't see with most other artists.

There are other bands I've seen people in my age range dismiss, but normally the worst they'll say is that they're overrated etc. With U2, I've come across people my age who passionately hate them, they'll launch into tirades against them, they'll be flabbergasted that I'm a fan. There's no other band I can think of that would warrant that reaction, except something like Nickleback.

That's not to say everyone I meet hates them, but certainly more seem to vocally/actively hate them (rather than be indifferent), and when they do, they launch into them like a despised rival sports team or something.

I feel like I see this online too - most bands have their fair share of online haters, but u2 seem to have a lot more... Though this could be me noticing it more as a fan.

But yeah, in my (admittedly personal, anecdotal) experience, u2 stand out as a band that more people dislike, and actively so. And it's certainly made me guarded about mentioning they're my favourite band, because it's become tiresome to hear the same "But they're so shit and bono is a wanker!" Line over and over again.

My theory is that Bono is quite unpopular/easy to hate for a lot of people, and I think that hatred extends to the band. If he hadn't done whatever it is that's made him so annoying to too many (public charity appeals, the tax issue, dodgy sunglasses, whatever), I bet u2 by extension would be less hated. I bet they'd be regarded at worst as 'has-beens', rather than 'overrated, talentless scum'.

Last edited:
my memory is that the Joshua tree era sprouted a lot of teenagers sporting long hair and a pony tail , certainly made being a u2 fan some Kudos , but thats a UK thing

Who gives a shit if the band you like is cool or not? They are cool if you think they are cool.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Who gives a shit if the band you like is cool or not? They are cool if you think they are cool.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yet when everyone else thinks they are not cool and you already are being bullied to death, it just gives them another reason for bullying you? :happy:

Back
Top Bottom