Why they are doing this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reach around definitely needs some work (no weird dirty joke intended) if they're gonna play it live. I don't even care for Sleep Like, that song belongs to studio, not performance.

See you all in the mosh pit during Sleep Like A Baby Tonight!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Those are not bad at all. Just imagine what the real band could do. Maybe people here didn't get what i said. It's not that the show is a disaster. I just felt the crowd too cold and ecstatic. I am a very old fan fo the band, and i like the new material. I wanted to feel them revigorated, the same feeling i get when i listen to SOI, especially if i compare it with No Line. I just was not expecting them to pick the most conservative sounding tunes of SOI. So everything is there, is just easy to improve the show.
To some extent the same thing bothered me about the 360 tour. They played a weird version of Crazy tonight and left Breathe out most of the shows. The strongest songs of that record.
I don't know, something is missing in this tour, and since we have all seen how good California and Volcano sound live, makes me think they've just missed the mark. Just.

I truly haven't the faintest idea why Reach Me Now and Sleep Like A Baby are so popular on this site, or why people think that playing them live would be even remotely a good idea. I haven't had the remotest desire to listen to either song in, like, a year. There's just nothing in either song that is remotely interesting or grabbing or, honestly, enjoyable. They're just there. And this is coming from someone who loves experimental/less-bombastic/whatever U2. But those two songs are just pointless. If that's what the DM album sounded like, thank goodness U2 aborted that release. And furthermore, what possibly would those songs offer to the crowds? Probably about as much as YBR did on 360, except at least YBR had fancy space stuff for the masses to stare at. Sleep and Reach being played would only appease the few dozen trainspotters who can even remember the names of those songs, and what a terrible way to waste spots for the trainspotters. Furthermore, I am highly skeptical that, if these songs were played live, the masses would get into them from their incredible energy (see: The Electric Co., Ultraviolet).

Those are not bad at all. Just imagine what the real band could do. Maybe people here didn't get what i said. It's not that the show is a disaster. I just felt the crowd too cold and ecstatic. I am a very old fan fo the band, and i like the new material. I wanted to feel them revigorated, the same feeling i get when i listen to SOI, especially if i compare it with No Line. I just was not expecting them to pick the most conservative sounding tunes of SOI. So everything is there, is just easy to improve the show.
To some extent the same thing bothered me about the 360 tour. They played a weird version of Crazy tonight and left Breathe out most of the shows. The strongest songs of that record.
I don't know, something is missing in this tour, and since we have all seen how good California and Volcano sound live, makes me think they've just missed the mark. Just.

They left Breathe out of most shows? And do you understand the definition of ecstatic?

And I stand corrected; that guy had a whole crowded arena completely ecstatic.

:lmao: you almost had me going...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

BOTH, I don't think you understand what the word "ecstatic" means. The definition is "extremely happy". Just figured I'd let you know about that.

I truly haven't the faintest idea why Reach Me Now and Sleep Like A Baby are so popular on this site, or why people think that playing them live would be even remotely a good idea. I haven't had the remotest desire to listen to either song in, like, a year. There's just nothing in either song that is remotely interesting or grabbing or, honestly, enjoyable. They're just there. And this is coming from someone who loves experimental/less-bombastic/whatever U2. But those two songs are just pointless. If that's what the DM album sounded like, thank goodness U2 aborted that release. And furthermore, what possibly would those songs offer to the crowds? Probably about as much as YBR did on 360, except at least YBR had fancy space stuff for the masses to stare at. Sleep and Reach being played would only appease the few dozen trainspotters who can even remember the names of those songs, and what a terrible way to waste spots for the trainspotters. Furthermore, I am highly skeptical that, if these songs were played live, the masses would get into them from their incredible energy (see: The Electric Co., Ultraviolet).

Are you trolling? Normally your opinions are better than this.

The argument for Sleep not to be played I can understand (though it's a copout, there are fucking tons of artists who play songs that "don't translate well" and they end up being great, you just have to have a mind that's ever so slightly open) but Reach Around? It sounds like it was made to be played live. Come on.

Wow, people making fun of grammatical errors... This place has certainly classed up

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I have a theory that Reach Me Now could debut on the next tour.

Also, when the band opens with four energetic songs, 3 of which are usually classics, then goes into the narrative of Iris/Cedarwood/Song for Someone, etc.. of course the energy level will drop a bit. They're, after all, new songs and they rely heavily on screen visuals that require the crowd to pay attention and the crowd usually watches through their phones.

There's a bit of ebb and flow in the setlist structure if you haven't noticed.

Who made fun of grammatical errors?

Perhaps they're alluding to our scrutiny of BOTH's use of the word "ecstatic" which BOTH used twice. Therefore, making it appear as if he was unfamiliar with the word or using it incorrectly. It certainly wasn't a grammatical issue.

Are you trolling? Normally your opinions are better than this.

The argument for Sleep not to be played I can understand (though it's a copout, there are fucking tons of artists who play songs that "don't translate well" and they end up being great, you just have to have a mind that's ever so slightly open) but Reach Around? It sounds like it was made to be played live. Come on.

Not trolling. Legitimately confused, although perhaps I was too in the mood to be snarky with that post.

Who made fun of grammatical errors?

Not even gonna get into this by citing, and for heaven's sake don't want to be drawn into an argument about this. It may not have been a grammatical error, strictly speaking. But there has been some fun poked at the syntax of the thread topic. If I am reading too much into it, I apologise to those taking exception. If not, then I think it is in poor taste.

Either way, peace.

Yeah, maybe not

EDIT: ...

Last edited:
Wow, people making fun of grammatical errors... This place has certainly classed up

Whatever, maybe if the OP gave this thread an actual thought-out title instead of something so vague I would be less inclined to make fun of it. I dislike unspecific titles that have no meaning.

:love: Couldn't have said it better myself. Those two put me to sleep every time I listen to them (yes, yes, like a baby indeed).

While the album didn't do much for me, Miracle, Cedarwood and Iris live were absolutely majestic and the crowd sung along to every word. It was definitely NOT killing the crowd but friggin' awesome.

SFS I could do without though. :yawn:

Need I remind anyone that a lot of people's opinions including mine change when you hear U2 songs live.

Just because some people didn't like it/ get it in the album,
doesn't mean that your opinion about it can't change while hearing it in a live setting.

I didn't get Iris, and Joey Ramone on the album, but I loved them live. :love::drool:

Hearing Reach or SLABT live can do the same for all the whingers overe here.
That is why they still deserve to be played live.

I find it somewhat odd that in your opinion there was more energy going on in the Boston Elevation dvd. Wasn't that the one where people in the heart sat down for some songs at the start because they like to behave like 7 year old girls who don't get their way?

I have to agree with the original post. Unfortunately the band played the weaker tracks from the new album. Miracle, SFS, Cedarwood. It was mainly because the narrative of the story they wanted to tell during the first part of the show. I cannot agree with Galeongirl when she says these songs are majestic and crowd sings every word of them. From my experience in Berlin it was extremely underwhelming how weak reaction from the crowd got Miracle, althought it was an opener! The srtrongest impression from Cedarwood was the visuals. SFS had at least crowd pleasing sing along chorus. For me the only songs that felt majestic and fullfilled their potential live from the new album were Wolves and Iris.

The problem is in my opinion that the band was disappointed by the reception of the album so they were afraid to play more new songs in one show. Songs in the first half were important for the story, so they had to leave out the rest of the new ones. Don´t get me wrong, the show worked pretty well, but every night the band didn´t play Volcano, California, Reach Me Now, Sleep Like a Baby (snippet in Zooropa style at least) or one of the Ballroom/Lucipher left me with feeling so much awesomeness is left behind...

I have to agree with the original post. Unfortunately the band played the weaker tracks from the new album. Miracle, SFS, Cedarwood. It was mainly because the narrative of the story they wanted to tell during the first part of the show. I cannot agree with Galeongirl when she says these songs are majestic and crowd sings every word of them. From my experience in Berlin it was extremely underwhelming how weak reaction from the crowd got Miracle, althought it was an opener! The srtrongest impression from Cedarwood was the visuals. SFS had at least crowd pleasing sing along chorus. For me the only songs that felt majestic and fullfilled their potential live from the new album were Wolves and Iris.

The problem is in my opinion that the band was disappointed by the reception of the album so they were afraid to play more new songs in one show. Songs in the first half were important for the story, so they had to leave out the rest of the new ones. Don´t get me wrong, the show worked pretty well, but every night the band didn´t play Volcano, California, Reach Me Now, Sleep Like a Baby (snippet in Zooropa style at least) or one of the Ballroom/Lucipher left me with feeling so much awesomeness is left behind...

Oh what a shock

What do you guys expect? I think everyone understands why Iris, Cedarwood Road etc. were chosen to be played on this tour. So these songs had to be played. Now you ask for regular appearances of This is where..., Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands, Sleep, and I don't know what else. This is crazy. They currently play 6 SOI songs out of usually 26 songs played. That's half the album being played, and SOI makes up quite a large part of the setlist in numbers and in importance for the show even more. Do you seriously expect them to dedicate almost half the setlist to the current album? For a band with such a huge catalog of songs? They're not gonna take out the hits. So playing more SOI songs would inevitably kill Out of Control and the like. Not gonna happen, I hope!!
Once SOE is out, maybe we're gonna get one or two "new" SOI songs as well. I kind of doubt it though.

Shoulda come to Amsterdam then mate, the crowd loved the new songs and knew the lyrics, sang and danced along pretty much everywhere on the floor. I have been in four different locations on four different nights and everywhere on the floor people were into it.

Eh - It's been too long since I have been yelled at and flamed so I thought I'd jump in.

I do not agree with all of the author's points, but I do with some. For the band U2 I'd say 2015 was the year of, well 'eh' in my opinion.

Somewhat decent record, barely average tour, but I'd say major letdown in terms over overall concept for this tour.

Granted, I think their music has been mostly sleepy since (and including) Electrical Storm but I have to mostly blame that fucking marching band xylophone for the descent. That song was terrible and I have to say all songs since have resembled it more than say Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, or Pride.

I only went to one show this tour and that was almost more than enough. Larry sat out at least four songs that night and while I wanted to have that great energetic enthusiasm I have had every tour since my first in 1987, it just wasn't there.

I blame the music, I blame management, I blame the stage and set, and mostly I blame myself for simply wanting more of the old days.

The band gets incredible props for doing things like handing their stage over on the last night of their tour to Eagles of Death Metal and are otherworldly in talent and good will, I just do not see the last year as a milestone for them. More of a placeholder.

I really did not see anything ambitious about the show I saw and less so in that they basically played the same thing every night (aside from some song rotations) over the course of the entire first and second legs.

They call themselves punk, they call themselves revolutionary, but they have turned more into a theatrical stage act repeating themselves night in and night out. Why buy tickets to more than one show when you know what you will get anyway (down to the Bono water bottle throw and poseur lamentations.)

I think they should loosen up, become more raw and random and just walk out and play a random list show. It would only be a benefit to them and garner heaps of respect from some of us white-hairs.

I think we need Rick Rubin to step in.

I've rambled on too long, but I guess I can only hope for something different into the future. Maybe the next leg will shake it up a bit...

Yours truly,

Ouizy

Back
Top Bottom